Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 03:23 PM

13 posts, read 23,000 times

Advertisements

Congrats! I cannot believe it - under 150!!!! Sounds amazing! Enjoy your new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 03:49 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
@kellylynn111....I am practicing minimalist. I am used to living frugally and simply. I plan to bring in a house mate, charging enough rent to cover my monthly taxes, insurance, and utilities. I won't have a mortgage payment, so my monthly housing expenses will be covered by my house mates rent check, making that hard earned ss check provide a bit more bang for the buck.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:33 AM

13 posts, read 23,000 times
That's great! I'm sure you will enjoy retirement there! We hope to move to Pagosa in order to get more bang for the buck as well! My husband works remotely and I will be leaving my teaching career to start a family. Our money will go SO MUCH farther there than here in Aspen! We just want a simple, clean house. Nothing fancy! I think we will be able to find it there. I can't believe how much less the cost of housing in Pagosa is compared to other areas! I think it is because there are so few jobs there......I realize that we are of the few lucky enough to be able to have a job (well, my husband) that is portable.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:18 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,033 times
I looked at a home there that I liked on a few acres but frowned on it when I found out they had salt in their water and had to haul water in Not use to that! But that was the only home I saw like that beings there are hot springs all over they may have a problem with some of the wells. I think Pagosa Springs would be a wonderful place to retire.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:20 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I looked at a home there that I liked on a few acres but frowned on it when I found out they had salt in their water and had to haul water in Not use to that! But that was the only home I saw like that beings there are hot springs all over they may have a problem with some of the wells. I think Pagosa Springs would be a wonderful place to retire.
It's been a few years since I asked the locals about it, but the general rule of thumb is.......property south of
160 is prone to sulfur water around Aspen Springs. No one we knew of around Pagosa Lake had any issues.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,864 times
Hi Debbie;

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; } Yea, Chalma was my all time favorite for years - seemed like a little Paradise to buy and retire in. Been going there since early 80's. Over time I found out to own there can be dicey. You see the area was founded by Basque Sheep Herders that came there with the Conquistadors in the 1500's. They even speak like Catalonians, from Spain. They call it Castillion, but their really from the very north of Spain. Many of the locals are direct descendents going back to the 1500's.

The Land Titles are all screwed up, and many families are inter-related and land lines in dispute for many years. Open to Law Suits by neighbors trying to get some cash - rather valid or not. That and the area of Northern New Mexico has one of the highest home robbery rates when people have left their place unattended for lengthy times. I've heard some horror stories from neighbors in different parts of the Country who's families had vacation homes around there.

I came to the conclusion. Better to rent weeks at a time or for several months - than to own in Chalma area. We live deep in Mexico in the Fall, Winter, Spring and know that culture. Have lived places in Mexico with that same screwed up Land Titles and properties lines = not good. Oh, and I had the absolutely worst Pasole on the Planet there ( I think they call it Apache Pasole?), but still can't get Chalma out of my blood. I love the fact that it's not a Jet Set Resort place, and probably never will be. Good people from all over the planet seem to migrate there. Some things I just know better no to fight.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:28 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,033 times
I spend a lot of time in the Chama area and those are the things I am aware of. Last October I visited the Apache reservation and it was scary for me. It was like leaving USA and going to other country. I think a lot of Pagosa. We have retired and are planning on putting the cattle ranch up on the market. This year is getting the fields and hay meadows looking great. When we're in Chama we always stay at Corkins and my husband fishes and we do a ton of hiking. I just love the area. This year I do intend on spending a week in Pagosa to see if I like that. I do visit Pagosa every year too but not the same length of time as I do in Chama.

Your right the house we looked at was south of Pagosa leaving to go back to Chama (just a few miles off of 160) and their water was not drinkable so water for drinking would have to be bought. The property was on a well.

When we sell I will spend several months plus a winter in the area. Now, I've lived in the upper midwest with worst winters and no sun with it. We were transferred here from the upper midwest 16 years ago and my husband said if we have to live in OK we must own a ranch so a ranch became us.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,106 times
My husband and I recently bought a little log cabin by Pagosa Lake to use as a getaway from the Florida heat and humidity (be "sun birds") we spent two months renovating it. My husband is retired military age 63&1/2 and I am self employed age 61. When it was time to head back to Florida we didn't want to leave! The last week we did serious soul searching and decided to buy a bigger house to move into and make a Pagosa Springs our permanent residence! I've lived in FL for the past 27 years. We met wonderful retirees and are looking forward to selling our FL home and make the move.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:40 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
^^^
Hearty congratulations!

Old 08-07-2017, 09:29 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times
expensive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado