Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 03:49 AM

3 posts, read 32,057 times

Advertisements

From the stats I've been reading it seems that Colorado is mostly white with some areas having small Hispanic or Latino populations. My question is how are Asians treated there? Is there discrimination? Does it depend on the area? We are possibly relocating to Ft. Collins area and we are a multi-ethnic family. Hubby & me are white and we have 3 adopted children who are Asian. How would we/they be received?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 06:47 PM

9 posts, read 107,208 times
Default Asians in Colorado

I lived in Colorado most of my life. Mostly in the Boulder, Denver regions. Although not as prominent as the hispanic communities there are Asian communites and they seem to do just fine. There seemed to be little discrimination. I can't speak specifically for Fort Collins, but being a college town I am sure its fairly open minded.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:37 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,886,108 times
From my knowledge, Denver and the surrounding communities have decent "communities" of those of Asian decent.

While the majority of the population is caucasion (sp), there are a lot of pockets of Asian decent, some blacks, mostly hispanics outside the caucasion population.

For those that like to shop within a specific realm of non-American foods, there are a lot of specialty stores throughout the Front Range. I don't know about Ft. Collins as I have never lived there but Denver, C Springs (we have a huge military population here so the diversity of cutures is pretty big.

Denver though, is less conservative and offers a lot for those that are of all cultures.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:07 PM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
Now that you mention it...there must be a decent size Asian population in Denver...the other year a Buddist Temple up there participated in our Asian Festival here in COS, sent down a Taiko drummers group, plus there were various Asian dancers, musicans and other presentations. Denver also has an annual Dragon Boat race on one of their lakes... indication of an Asian community of some size and vibrancy.

s/Mike

Old 02-08-2007, 04:48 PM

11,811 posts, read 34,265,174 times
There is an Asian Dragon boat festival on Sloan's Lake.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:17 PM

16 posts, read 107,724 times
I wouldn't imagine you'd have any problems with racism in fort collins... Though there is definitely not much of an asian community here, if any at all. There seems to be a small middle eastern community, a small indian community, and a sizeable hispanic community though. This area is sometimes jokingly referred to by the locals as 'vanilla valley' because it's so white.

The ethnically asian people I know in fort collins are generally very americanized, and as far as I know they're not subject to any particular prejudice. I would be shocked if your children were treated any differently to other children here by anyone.

The only serious racism I've even heard of in this area are second-hand stories about a church in Laporte with some nazi-like values, and a significant KKK congregation in Loveland. I have no way of verifying these things and they are just rumors as far as I know. I do know that our regional congresswoman (R-Marilyn Musgrave) is endorsed by the KKK though... kinda scary.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 14,006 times
i'm a 15 year old asian girl who just moved to fort collins from california, and i have to say i havent seen many asian people, just a few here and there. depending on the age of your 3 kids, if you want them to be around asians or just fit in better definitely have them go to Poudre High School. thats where i just enrolled and its a very good school, its got a great international baccalaureate program, thats what i will be in, and if you are looking for diversity then thats definitely the place to go for high school in ft. collins. i hope it helps you a bit ^(referring to my information as "it") if you need anything else you can email me at [email]baileyjoon@gmail.com[/email] i hope they are getting used to it here, i have only been here for 2 months but i like it ^^

ok i realize now that my response was totally late as i looked at the date of your post haha >.<

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-09-2010 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 10-16-2012, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 9,968 times
My husband and I just moved out here from California in Sep of 2011 and I hadnt noticed anything up until yesterday. We just bought a house in a newly deveoped area in Timnath. I came home yesterday to find a truck full of men sitting in the bed with confederate flags all over it. Normally, I wouldnt have been too alarmed as I know that the confederate flag holds different meanings to different people but it was clear what these men where trying to say with this stance. All in all, we love it here and if it werent for last night's display, I would reccomend Ft. Collins/ Timnath to anyone.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,292 times
My AA granddaughter will be a freshman at Colorado State @Pueblo in the Fall. I was wondering do they have an AA population in Ft. Collins.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:54 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,587,895 times
The only anti-Asian racism I encountered was, first, in Buena Vista, where someone thought it clever to yell out a car window, "Go back where you came from" for no reason. He didn't know me, nor I him, nor had we had any interaction at all prior to the verbal attack. The second encounter was some dumb elementary school kids who made fake-Chinese-language noises at me in a derisive manner, inside the Green Mountain King Soopers.

That's it, in 25 years of living in CO. There weren't many Asians outside of certain neighborhoods, such as part of Federal Blvd in Denver, but if it is racism--not cultural immersion--that you are worried about, the Front Range is pretty decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado