U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 09:26 PM

255 posts, read 674,784 times

Advertisements

I would like to know more about Colorado. I have never been there but have heard great things about it. I loved the pictures that are posted and would love to come visit.

My family and I love being outdoors but can't take the cold so information on "how cold it feels" would be very helpful. My kids have never played in snow and would love to so I'm hoping that the humidity keeps the weather bearable.

I would love to hear about all areas of Colorado and why you love it. It will help us tremendously in planning our trip.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 09:55 AM

Red face specific info please

Hello everyone,

I am new to the Colorado threads so please bear with me, I will try not to annoy

My famiy and I would like to come for a visit and we are very particular about what we are looking for in an area. I hope this is not going to be too anal.

My family loves being outdoors but because where we live in sunny, HOT, humid, HOT, sticky, HOT, tourist flooded Florida we can't enjoy it. We need a place that the humidity is low and a place where we can enjoy outdoor activities such as horseback riding, fishing, playing at parks, snow activities of all sorts (my kids have never played in it), bon fires at night etc...

We would like information on towns on the outskirts of a larger areas so we are not in the same situation we are here in Florida, over run with us tourists I am not familiar with the areas so I would like some specific information on areas to check into further myself. I know the major areas such as Boulder, Golden,Aspen, Veil, Denver and such but I don't know anything of the surrounding areas.

We looked into a few "Dude Ranches" in other places and would love input and opinions from people that actually live in these outlying areas. The only impression I have of Colorado so far is the Littleton disaster and the jet-set vacation spots mentioned earlier; and yet I'm still interested, go figure. lol

I hope this is not to vague or specific but any help would be a huge help in our beginning searches. Thanks so much for your consideration!

Old 09-16-2008, 12:26 PM

1,331 posts, read 4,532,400 times
Well Mia, you most certainly don't have to worry about,..HOT, humid etc.!!
I just moved back from living ON THE BEACH in Vero! I was there for a year and hated it!!! Most think I'm crazy but, I missed beautiful Colorado and hate the bugs and humidity!! I was on a private beach so tourists weren't a part of it but, I understand!
If I knew how to put pics on this site, I would.
That said,...I DO like the touristy, resort areas in Colorado. Not defending, I just do!
I live in Canon City and have one of the best views around but, I still LOVE the mountain areas so many flock too!
I think you should google areas in the mountains/foothills that are by our rivers or reservoirs. Like...Evergreen, Georgetown, Dillon...and Breckenridge. They are cute towns with everything available to you but yet,...you can feel like you are in your own world.

I don't know why people don't use Live Web Cams more often?!!
You can google them and see what it looks like in "real time" at any given moment!! My Sailor Son was in Pensacola before I moved to Florida, I watched a restaurant's web cam all of the time to see the weather and, when he went to dinner there, he would let me know and, I could see him pull in and wave....TOO cool!!!
Same with my sister...she lives on the beach in Daytona and, when she goes to crabby joes....she gets in front of the cam and we talk on our cells!!!!
Sorry about the rant!
Anyway,.....if you love bonfires...I know that Vail at night has the ski area lit up at night with tubing along the ski slope. It's a little pricey there but, fun!
Evergreen has many family nights by the lake. I would live there if I didn't absolutely love my home!!!
Georgetown does a HUGE bonfire thingy the first week in December. It's fun for everyone and is exciting to set off the holidays!! It is on main street and people shop/drink, etc. and then stand around the fire (HUMONGOUS) in the middle of the street and eat and well....just hangout! Cooooolll!!
Although it's a "resort"...one of my faves is Breckenridge!!
It is a "Norman Rockwell" kind of place in the winter!!! It is beautiful during the holidays....I love it there!! All lit up, people walking around and shopping for the holidays....truly nice!!!
It was so hard for me to be in Florida during the Holidays....wasn't "right". ya' know??
I will never ever think any destination is too "far". I lived on the Treasure Coast and, it was 4 miles to the first stop light!!
29 miles to Denver from Evergreen NO longer seems like a stretch....HA!
I am sure that all of the "little" towns between the "big" ones will be a cinch to you so.....look at what is available for you and your family and, you won't have to go far to be in civilization...if that's what you want!

Don't anyone give me $@^$ for writing a novel!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-16-2008, 12:36 PM

5,129 posts, read 10,265,858 times
I merged these threads because you are basically asking the same question in both.

forum rules, please read them

Old 09-16-2008, 01:36 PM

Talking Thanks!

[quote=SheridanL;5291773]Well Mia, you most certainly don't have to worry about,..HOT, humid etc.!!
I just moved back from living ON THE BEACH in Vero! I was there for a year and hated it!!! Most think I'm crazy but, I missed beautiful Colorado and hate the bugs and humidity!! I was on a private beach so tourists weren't a part of it but, I understand!
If I knew how to put pics on this site, I would.
That said,...I DO like the touristy, resort areas in Colorado. Not defending, I just do!
I live in Canon City and have one of the best views around but, I still LOVE the mountain areas so many flock too!
I think you should google areas in the mountains/foothills that are by our rivers or reservoirs. Like...Evergreen, Georgetown, Dillon...and Breckenridge. They are cute towns with everything available to you but yet,...you can feel like you are in your own world.

I don't know why people don't use Live Web Cams more often?!!
You can google them and see what it looks like in "real time" at any given moment!! My Sailor Son was in Pensacola before I moved to Florida, I watched a restaurant's web cam all of the time to see the weather and, when he went to dinner there, he would let me know and, I could see him pull in and wave....TOO cool!!!
Same with my sister...she lives on the beach in Daytona and, when she goes to crabby joes....she gets in front of the cam and we talk on our cells!!!!
Sorry about the rant!
Anyway,.....if you love bonfires...I know that Vail at night has the ski area lit up at night with tubing along the ski slope. It's a little pricey there but, fun!
Evergreen has many family nights by the lake. I would live there if I didn't absolutely love my home!!!
Georgetown does a HUGE bonfire thingy the first week in December. It's fun for everyone and is exciting to set off the holidays!! It is on main street and people shop/drink, etc. and then stand around the fire (HUMONGOUS) in the middle of the street and eat and well....just hangout! Cooooolll!!
Although it's a "resort"...one of my faves is Breckenridge!!
It is a "Norman Rockwell" kind of place in the winter!!! It is beautiful during the holidays....I love it there!! All lit up, people walking around and shopping for the holidays....truly nice!!!
It was so hard for me to be in Florida during the Holidays....wasn't "right". ya' know??
I will never ever think any destination is too "far". I lived on the Treasure Coast and, it was 4 miles to the first stop light!!
29 miles to Denver from Evergreen NO longer seems like a stretch....HA!
I am sure that all of the "little" towns between the "big" ones will be a cinch to you so.....look at what is available for you and your family and, you won't have to go far to be in civilization...if that's what you want!

Don't anyone give me $@^$ for writing a nove!

Wow! Thanks so much for the information!!!! I could Never #$&*^ anyone for gushing about something they really enjoy...please...gush! lol

Are there any new developments or the such where you could build your home in Evergreen? We would like to have two places and now we are trying to investigate a good place. Basically any family friendly neighborhoods or up and coming places we can check out?

This is going to be a complete change for me but we are looking for just that

Old 09-16-2008, 02:38 PM

1,331 posts, read 4,532,400 times
You can always google lots in Evergreen or, anywhere for that matter!!
Really, seriously.....google Evergreen live web cams...or anywhere!
You can see the areas and then decide!! I of course did that in Florida....I wanted on the beach,...just didn't realize how much I would hate the bugs (specifically fire ants and no-seeums!!)
There aren't too many places in Colorado that I wouldn't want to be....east isn't my thing (Limon, Sterling, Burlington, Commerce City, even though that is central,etc.) sorry,...don't want to offend!!
I grew up in Denver (northwest) and, although popular...(even with my oldest son)...I prefer the western parts!!
I mean seriously....one can get to Denver quickly and, live in the mountains/foothills....kind of the best of both worlds!! Like on the beach..only better and faster!!!!!!!!!! Been there, done that,..rode that horse!!!
When I was growing up in Denver,.....Evergreen and the other resort type areas, were THE places to be!!
Castle Rock, Morrison, Idaho Springs, Georgtown, etc., were hippie towns that not too many wanted (TRUE!!!)......darned hindsight!!!
Evergreen (which was extremely expensive, is affordable now)
There is a home that is on HGTV that is awesome, different, has many cool things such as, octogan rooms with guest places, etc. It is just over 200k!!!!!!!!
Never thought I would see that in my lifetime!!
One more area that is right in the "gateway", with outstanding views and lots is Applewood!!! It is right on the edge of I70 yet, close to everything!! Look it up,...you will be surprised!!

I raised my oldest son in SE Aurora (Cherry Creek Schools)....hardly recognize it now and, I was a school bus driver there!! It is East of I25.... GREAT schools......My son is now a professor but,.........My youngest, is now in Hawaii and is a cryptologist and graduated from Canon City.
See how different?!! BOTH want to end up back in Colorado (and they WILL!) Zach, my oldest, longs for Denver!! AJ, my youngest, longs for the little towns (Canon and Eagle!)...he will end up in Aurora (where he was born) OR..Colorado Springs.(due to his TS clearance).

OMG,....I am totally going to get kicked off of this site!!!!!!!!!
Sorry everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

Google the web cams.......I am on them all of the time!!
Breckenridge's main street cams are awesome...it was 43 degrees this weekend (octoberfest) and.....there wasn't 1 person in a coat!!! That should tell you something about DRY as opposed to HUMID!!
I can "feel" the eyes rolling about now!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-16-2008, 07:31 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,874,157 times
Unfortunately, it's getting harder and harder to find places in Colorado not overrun with yuppie tourists during the summer or the ski season. And, quite frankly, those of us old line Coloradans who dislike that "vibe" as much as these posters in this thread seem to say they do are not inclined to publish a list on an internet forum of the few uncrowded decent places left. The places to avoid--if you've heard about it in a national magazine, or seen an advertisement on TV about it, or your New York City co-worker tells you about it--well, forget it, it's been "discovered." That takes about every "resort" town off of the list. If it's on an Interstate, you can pretty much forget that, too. Within 150 miles of the Front Range--nope, it's not uncrowded. Unless you're willing to hike away from the main roads--and quite a ways from the main roads, forget the National Parks--they are dweeb tourist magnets. Ski area? Forget them, too. No worse tourist magnet than those. What's left? Not much. But there are still some neat places out there. But I'm not saying where they are . . .

If--on the other hand--you want to be cheek-to-jowl with tourists just like you, stay in resort complexes designed by out-of-state architectural retards, deal with hired help that is almost never from in-state (or even in-country), enjoy "recreation amenities" that usually have almost nothing to do with the native natural environment, spend tons of money on overpriced everything, and leave the state after your vacation thinking you've seen something akin to the "real Colorado" (but you haven't)--then by all means be like millions of other tourists and flock to the usual "destinations." Don't blame we natives, though, when we snicker behind your back, knowing that you just bought the "sizzle" hook, line, and sinker--but never even saw the steak.

PS--As to snow, but not cold--snow = below 32. Get over it. If you want one, you're going to get the other.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:28 PM

92 posts, read 230,898 times
When I move out there I'm gonna hunt varmint with my .223. Maybe hit S.Wyoming for some pronghorn. Just doing my part in keeping the old "vibe" alive.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:05 PM

Yes Jazz, I guess it is silly to ask in a forum for an "undiscovered jem" where we can enjoy being tourists. I have just never had the oportunity to travel and I don't want my kids to be so sheltered. I want them to experience all the beauty and nature or places not the materialistic and commercialized values. I don't dislike the tourists we have here because I understand they are what keep our economy thriving...I just don't like living in the hub of them When I bought my home we were a good 40 minutes from the hectic pace and volume tourist but here lately we are being enveloped by development and progress...we miss the natural beauty.

My kids have heart defects and they can't take the heat and humidity so I am looking forward to the change in weather, albeit a bit concerned for the bone chill that may come with it. I grew up in the Northeast and my husband from the midwest so we are used to the weather, but my kids are southern babies and they are not used to such change. They are however looking forward to it. I was just curious how cold it feels because it is my understanding that the humidity is lower thus making it feel a different type of cold. I guess we will find out when we vacation there.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:09 PM

355 posts, read 1,286,997 times
^if they have heart problems remember colorado is high elevation.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado