U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 03:54 AM

476 posts, read 2,090,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFults View Post
Hello to all. LUV_NM and DGOBOY...you were right...we loved Durango. ... We are mostly now trying to decide if we should live a bit out of town with a little land, or in the Lightner Creek or Junction Creek area, or whether closer to town is a better option for our kids. Any thoughts?

PS: Steamboat was beautiful, snowy, and expensive. Great place if you can afford it and live for winter sports!
Hi LFults - good to hear from you! I am glad you had a blast. Durango always has something to do. You will never be bored. If you get tired of people, you can always be out in the forests with not a soul around in a few minutes! Great for destressing. I go to the beautiful Durango mountains to destress from all the hectic Farmington living. I always feel refreshed and ready to go afterward! I like Lightner Creek too, it can be pricey though since it is so close to the city. Junction Creek is nice too. Both are GREAT for riding your bike out in!! I also like Hesperus but higher up, it has more snow. There is Lake Durango out by Durango West and I dont know much about it but pass by there and wonder.

PS: Yes Steamboat is a nice ski town and snowy but I think it is on its way to being another Aspen - for the rich only. Durango has so much diversity to not let that happen. I applaud Durango for appointing a Housing Czar to work on making homes affordable. I also heard from my friend that the new Mercy Hospital is donating land out by there in Three Springs for affordable housing. People would have to make a real low salary though to be eligible. Anyway, its a start!

TN Gal in AZ - Quality Inn is a pet friendly motel-hotel. It is pretty nice.
Quality Inn & Suites
455 S. Camino Del Rio
Durango, CO, US, 81303
Phone: (970) 259-7900 Fax: (970) 259-7901 Toll-Free: (888) 259-7903

Just checked Holiday Inn
800 Camino Del Rio
Durango, CO 81301
Hotel Front Desk: 1-970-247-5393 Hotel Fax: 1-970-259-4201
Book Online or Call
1-888-890-0245 which states $5.00 for pets so also look into it. It is right on the river and walking to downtown is real easy. Yes as Dgoboy said, let them know right up front and you wont have any problems.

Oh and it was really nice yesterday in Durango around 50s and sunshine. It was great!

Last edited by I_LUVNM; 02-13-2007 at 04:18 AM.. Reason: Added motel info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 11:10 AM

63 posts, read 289,748 times
Dgoboy & I LuvNM, Thanks for the reply re: pet friendly motels! This is going to be a real quick trip one or two nights. I'm looking at moving out there in July or sooner if I get a job first. Child and I are really looking forward to our "check it out" trip! I may be posting more questions and for sure a trip report upon returning.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal in AZ View Post
Dgoboy & I LuvNM, Thanks for the reply re: pet friendly motels! This is going to be a real quick trip one or two nights. I'm looking at moving out there in July or sooner if I get a job first. Child and I are really looking forward to our "check it out" trip! I may be posting more questions and for sure a trip report upon returning.
Yes give us an update when you get back and have a blast!

Old 02-26-2007, 10:43 PM

56 posts, read 200,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin1205 View Post
Hey bigglynals! Glad you loved Durango, it is a wonderful place to live! I grew up here and am leaving soon, and I know I am going to totally miss it!

I live in Forest Lakes now, and the commute is just a bit long, but it is definitely a woodsy, hilly place to live. If you really want to feel like you are in the forest/mountains than FL is great! There are some pretty good deals up here right now too in housing-as far as this area goes anyway!

Good luck to you!
How long is the commute exactly? Is it that much of a pain in the butt? Does Bayfield have any type of grocery store for emergencies? So we dont have to go into town for everything? How's the HOA in FL? The one we have now is terrible, they dont do anything for the community; they just take our $. How's the sense of community in FL? Are people friendly w/ their neighbors? I would assume yes, but it's nice to hear from someone who lives there. Also, is there any problems w/ animals coming down into the houses & attacking dogs in their yards? Thanks!

Old 02-27-2007, 08:31 AM

I am sure Erin will write more about Forest Lakes, but until then, I can tell you it is a nice community. A quiet thickly forested area about 10 minutes into Bayfield or less. Bayfield has the basics, Shell station, another one I cant remember the name but they are also the convenient store type. They have a hardware store, Tru Value I think it is called and a small downtown, with the basics. There used to be a small grocery store, I dont know if it is still open, I never thought to look. They will probably be building one soon though as the town is growing at a good pace. I noticed a really nice new school, I assume the high school. There are new houses being built. There is a fantastic indoor greenhouse nursery too, one of the best I have ever seen anywhere. There are some new businesses too, I cant recall what. Also a bank, a Long John Silver's and I think a Catfish place is reopening. Wish I knew the area better but the commute to Durango is about 20 minutes or so, may be longer if the traffic is heavy. A nice town. People are friendly.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:20 PM

28 posts, read 78,149 times
hey guys. glad i found this thread. I am flying out to Durango for a job interview on the 15th of march. I can't wait to visit and see this great town for myself. I had a thread going about durango a WHILE ago, but i never found a job that interested me until now.

anywhere in particular you think i should visit while i'm there for a few days? Restaurants, bars, parks?

Old 02-28-2007, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodenTA View Post
hey guys. glad i found this thread. I am flying out to Durango for a job interview on the 15th of march. I can't wait to visit and see this great town for myself. I had a thread going about durango a WHILE ago, but i never found a job that interested me until now.

anywhere in particular you think i should visit while i'm there for a few days? Restaurants, bars, parks?
Take the train so you can see alot of Durango and up north where it is very pretty. The train will be 479 Main near College Drive. Durango is starting their Independent Film festival starting today for anyone in Durango now, wanting to do something.

For you, I know the famous Glenn Miller Orchestra will be in concert there but I think around the 13th. Visit the Diamond Belle Saloon, by the Strater Hotel. Just nostalgic. Restaurants, there are so many to choose from so I dont know what you will be hungry for but for Mexican food, Franciscos on 619 Main is my favorite and my friends too. So many good ones though, hard to say. There are coffee houses too like in Seattle. Steaming Bean Coffee Company and high speed netcafe on 900 block of Main. Starbucks I think is down in the 500 block of Main. Bayfield I think their coffeehouse is Mill Street Brews on Mill St, Silver Bean on Main in Cortez for other surrounding towns. There is a bunch, I just know about these myself. Also I remember Pure Soul Coffee in the Town Plaza on Camino Del Rio. Durango and the surrounding area loves their coffee.

Steamworks on 800 block of 2nd Ave is a great beer brew joint - great for a lunch. Lot of Brewery Companies too. I wish I knew more about those. Carver Brewing Co. is great place for lunch or beer. I have the address, look up in the phone book and it is 1022 Main Ave. I havent been to Ska Brewing but one of my friends likes it and they have a free tasting room too address is 545 Turner Drive that would be Bodo Park. For Italian I like Mutus Italian Kitchen on 701 2nd Ave. May Palace for Chinese at 909 Main. Aspen Cafe is pretty good at 3600 Main. Tequilas is 948 Main, havent been but see it listed as Mexican food. Like Sushi? Sushi-tarian at 601 2nd Ave, that isnt far from College Drive. I havent been, I personally dont like raw fish myself but if you do, that is a popular place. Himalayan is popular on 992 Main. Ken and Sue on 636 Main is a real good place, American type of food. Shanghai Pearl Mandarin Chinese 862 Main. Dont know about it but ad looks good. With Yankees living in Durango, they have delis too like Barts is a good one on 939 Highway 3, that would be the highway by the cliffs near where the Rivergate Medical Campus is located. Mongolian Grill near Walmart. Dont know about it but list it. Zia Taqueria Mexican, 3101 Main. I might try that one soon. Wow, I just see lots of places, Ninis "funky" Mexican on 552 Main. The Ore house, that is a good steakhouse at 147 East College Drive. Westside Bar and Grill 117 College Drive, has a good looking menu great for lunch. Jean-Pierre French Bakery, they have some fine bread at 601 Main. Mahohany Grill 7th and Main, looks like a jazzy type of bar at least from the ad. Off The Vine Cafe and Bar 101 W. 11th. I never knew there was that many restaurants but I see listings for hundreds, I cant possibly list them all but get a phone book if you can. Here is an unusual one Cuckoo Chicken House and Watering Hole on 128 East College. Anyhoo, you wont starve in Durango. There are a good number of bars but I dont know much about them so maybe some others can add to that one. I have visited a couple but cant really give you much on that. Parks, well there are many. Actually I know, go to the Durango Chamber of Commerce in Santa Rita Park and they have all kinds of brochures and stuff and can give you maps and stuff. That is probably the best thing to do. Lots of info to boot. If you ski, go up to Durango Ski Resort. You can also just go to check it out. Very beautiful up there. Hope This Helps you some.

I wanted to add that I heard not only film is coming to Durango but fashion too. Some famous lines are located or locating there. I know of Develop Clothing for one is located there and it has had profits of 200 percent a year since moving there. Durango Herald online has more on it, you can read about that and the Durango Independent Film Festival in the Herald too. And congrats to the Durango Herald for winning something like 44 awards for outstanding journalism!

Last edited by I_LUVNM; 02-28-2007 at 03:44 AM.. Reason: Needed to correct a boo-boo.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:03 PM

28 posts, read 78,149 times
I_LUVNM
All i can say is WOW. thanks for the info. Do you work in the tourism industry or something

you definitely helped me out a lot. thank you very much!

Old 03-01-2007, 02:38 PM

17 posts, read 94,851 times
Hey again bigglynals! I am happy to try and answer your questions...sorry it wasn't in a more timely manner!

I have lived in FL for almost three years now and really love (almost) every aspect of it. From the main entrance of FL to Bayfield is seven miles. So, depending on where you live in FL and the weather, the drive can range from ten to twenty minutes. Bayfield has two (very small) grocery stores, a couple gas stations, a coffee shop, pharmacy, a few restaurants, hardward store, etc. You definitely can get by without having to drive all the way to Durango for most things. The drive to Druango is about thirty minutes. Its a beautiful drive and not at all like a city commute. Traffic is usually not a problem at all either. In the winter, if it has snowed, the drive can take a bit longer. The road from the Hwy to FL (CR 501) can be an ice rink! But if you take your time, its really not a problem.

The HOA in FL is so so...again, depending where you live in FL. The further "up" you get, the less they do to maintain roads (which are all dirt). And plowing in the winter can be an issue if you are really "up there" on the mountain. There is no trash service, you have to haul it yourself across the CR-bummer but liveable.

I can't speak for everyone but my neighborhood is awesome! I know and am friendly with all my neighbors. We have all helped each other when car issues arise, or electric or any other weird things happen. In fact, I have even borrowed milk from one of my neighbors!!

I have three dogs that all pretty much "run free" (like most of the pups around us) and in three years, the only incident I have encountered is a porcupine. (On a Saturday night at 11:30PM no less!!!)

FL is affordable, by Durango standards, which means you will get the best buy for your buck here, but it still isn't a great deal! Housing is not cheap anywhere around here, but you can find some deals in FL. That may change in the next few months though. The town of Bayfield is no longer issuing water taps for new structures due to the over use of the water treatment plant here, so there won't be anymore building here for a while. No one really knows how long...could be weeks, but most are saying years.

I hope I helped a bit with your questions. If you have any other questions, let me know...I'm more than happy to share what I know!

Old 03-01-2007, 07:24 PM

49 posts, read 213,228 times
Good suggestions on this post ! As you mentioned, there are some treed areas, are these parcels available to purchase, do you know the approx size of some of these parcels? Do you happen to know anything about sub-division POA (property owner associations - fees)? Any idea of annual taxes for parcels, rural vs city? Do you know where I can get this type of info? Some web sites re: available property for sale speak of water right. Can someone shine some light on this subject? Or water frontage rights? They also mention shares ???? Oh, since we are on the water frontage subject, Does anyone know of areas where you can be close to rivers and have the option of buying some acreage? Names of area or sub divisions, are they wooded?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado