Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 12:42 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times

Advertisements

francowell,

You know what, if Durango was still like it was in about 1960 to 1967, I would live there, too. It was one nifty town, then. But so were a lot of places in Colorado back then. Man hasn't done much that has "improved" the state, architecturally, aesthetically, or socially since. Just my opinion, as a grizzled old Colorado native . . . an endangered species now. Now, if I could just get that @#$!! time machine to work!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 02:00 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,928 times
Smile I LOVE it

I just want to say that I would love to move there if I had a job there. Has nothing to do with liberal/conservative. I am liberal and I AM moving to Colorado Springs. Its just to beautiful to pass up. I was in wyoming....OMG, Now thats a place that just too much for me. My ancestor Founded Casper Wyoming. They still beleive that Saddam H. was responsible for 911. For those defending Durango, good for you. I love you little town. Shoot I LOVE your state. I even like you conservatives....you all rock and GO BRONCOS (whens Elway comming back, a jokes a joke)

Steve from Washington.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:06 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
Jazzlover

If you ever get that @#$!! time machine to work, I'd like to be your first customer!

regards....Franco

Old 06-13-2007, 02:23 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by francowell View Post
Jazzlover

If you ever get that @#$!! time machine to work, I'd like to be your first customer!

regards....Franco
I have an exwife I sure wish I had not met....I call next on the time machine.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:49 PM

Like the advice I got from "one of the guys" about re-marrying after a divorce: "Next time, just find a woman you hate and buy her a house. It's a lot simpler." NOW, let the REAL flaming start . . .

Old 06-13-2007, 11:13 PM

476 posts, read 2,318,125 times
Jazzlover, I am going out on a limb, since my Durango friend probably wont like this, but I like you, really I do. You are intelligent and smart and seem to be one hell of an ole cowboy. I know I can be a rattlesnake about Durango but I guess cause I love it so much. I see here, others love it too and I guess you as well otherwise you wouldnt be here. I wish Durango could be that quaint little town it was years ago, man I really wish that when I plod through the traffic, like a turtle, to wherever I am going but still I love Durango. I am angry at whoever is responsible for the lack of larger roads. The road from the border of NM to Durango is becoming a solid line of traffic and it needs to be four lanes so someone needs to get off their ass and make it a four lane, but anyway that is off the subject.

Durango is still a wonderful place. Yes there are lots of people, but again Durango is better is some ways for it. There are many artists, musicians, actors, yes even models, fashion designers, clothing makers and film makers here now, so in some ways, Durango is better for entertainment. The tech centers, more tech and computer jobs, like Mercury Payment, and fantastic medical hospital, medical and surgery centers and so forth mean better jobs. I wish too that Durango could have the best of both worlds, but I dont see how. Maybe it is best to just cherish your former days of living in Durango. I am making fond memories of Durango now. It is true there are some not so intelligently built homes up on ridgelines in thick forests that are a wonder to behold how they can even get up there, to how in hades can a fire truck get there as well? It sort of reminds me of people who build homes on sand right on the ocean and then a hurricane sweeps their home away. Do you REALLY feel sorry for them? Well, yes in that you dont want to see anyone have their home destroyed, but then there is that "well, I knew that one was coming" in the back of your mind.

Keep in mind all the explosive growth in and around Durango has not been made by liberals. Liberals have been the ones to call others to control growth. On the other hand, a city that doesnt grow is bad too. Contractors, carpenters, architects and a myriad so ons, need growth. The smart ones are those who can manage to balance both. Growth but not sprawl. It is tough to do and obviously not many have had success with it. So in essence Jazzlover, I understand your point of view, but at the same time, I am hoping you can see mine.

Last edited by I_LUVNM; 06-13-2007 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: Added something.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
I have an exwife I sure wish I had not met....I call next on the time machine.
LOL! That is funny! I need that time machine after you so I can also go back in time to slap my ex and kick him in the, well you know, when he asked me out for the first time.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Like the advice I got from "one of the guys" about re-marrying after a divorce: "Next time, just find a woman you hate and buy her a house. It's a lot simpler." NOW, let the REAL flaming start . . .
Well, I wish my ex-husband had done that. The louse didnt even have a house. So single girls, word of advice, if a guy doesnt have a house when you are looking to get hitched, RUN!

Old 06-13-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
I just want to say that I would love to move there if I had a job there. Has nothing to do with liberal/conservative. I am liberal and I AM moving to Colorado Springs. Its just to beautiful to pass up. I was in wyoming....OMG, Now thats a place that just too much for me. My ancestor Founded Casper Wyoming. They still beleive that Saddam H. was responsible for 911. For those defending Durango, good for you. I love you little town. Shoot I LOVE your state. I even like you conservatives....you all rock and GO BRONCOS (whens Elway comming back, a jokes a joke)

Steve from Washington.
Nice post Steve. Yeah, we need another Elway. Go Broncos!

Old 06-14-2007, 09:08 AM

I_LUVNM,

Make no mistake, I love Durango, too, I_LUVNM. I just don't like its current direction--but that is a sentiment that I hold about a lot of places in my native state of Colorado.

You can also tell your friends in Durango, who may think that I am some outsider with no ties to Durango at all, that my father actually worked on the remodelling (more like rebuilding--they were definitely slums) of the buildings in "Rio Grande Land" down by the depot that became the Grande Palace and the General Palmer House way back in about 1964. I bet some of your Durango friends hadn't even been born yet. I have been coming to Durango, on both business and pleasure, since the 1960's. I have also spent a lot of time out in the rural hinterlands of LaPlata and Archuleta counties in Colorado, as well as in Rio Arriba and--to a lesser extent--in San Juan counties in New Mexico. I suspect that I've been to places in those counties that a lot of your Durango friends might not even know about. I know that area of southwest Colorado and northern New Mexico well enough that I can remember what specific places there would SMELL like on a nice late spring/early summer morning like this! You can't get much more familiar than that.

I_LUVNM, I'd love to meet you (and your friends) in Durango sometime for a cup of coffee (decaf these days, for me). I bet we could have one wild "break-up-the-furniture" debate about Durango!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado