Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 11:06 AM

8 posts, read 31,863 times

Advertisements

Hi all.
I did the 123 movers get 10 quotes for companies that will load drive and unload. 2 companies had similar lower quotes, usa van lines and northstar moving. Anyone have any experience with these or have another recommendation. Any input would be appreciated, thanks, matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 11:51 AM

90 posts, read 634,434 times
We're in a similiar situation, getting estimates from at least three movers right now for an upcoming move later this spring.

If you spend any amount of time researching this on the internet you are going to read some serious horror stories. And there are a lot of disreputable people out there ready to tell you anything you want to hear to get your business. Then the actual movers show up and their reality is way different than the salesperson who will never return your calls.

We called my husband's place of employment and asked about moving companies they'd had no problems with in the past and got two names that way. They are North American and Allied. We are leaning toward North American, although we haven't signed yet. Our third estimate (three are required by my husband's employer) is one of those moving companies that start bombarding you will emails as soon as you enter your info on the internet. That company "only needs 20 minutes of our time over the phone." Yeah, we won't be using them.

From my research, I came up with a list of questions to ask each mover, so I could get a good comparison:

1. Will the company provide a free, in-home, no obligation estimate?
When you fill out those online forms for quotes, many times you will contacted by brokers who want to tell you a price over the phone. AVOID!!

2. Will the company provide a BINDING, NOT-To-EXCEED estimate? This is the gold standard. You will pay no more than the contract states and might pay less if the weight comes in below the estimate. Avoid non-binding estimates altogether. They are meaningless and you might find your costs doubled or even tripled by the time you get moved.

3. Ask whether or not your belongings will be on a single truck for the entire move. Some places will shift from truck to truck to save costs. The more your stuff gets moved, the more likely it won't all arrive.

4. Ask about who will be subcontracted to do the move. Most national companies farm out the jobs to companies local to you. You need to look them up on the Better Business Bureau and do some internet searching on that name. Be sure that subcontracted company will be moving under the national company's painted truck. You don't want a couple of shady looking guys in a U-Haul showing up at your door with your contract in hand.

4. Ask your mover about insurance options, what training the company's movers receive, and costs that might not be included in the contract (difficult loading/unloading issues). A reputable company should be able to provide insurance and costs in writing at time of estimate. They should know about how often their people are trained without having to "get back to you."

5. Ask for references from previous clients. Granted, they could give you their mother's number, but the likelihood is those names and numbers are worth a call.

6. Ask about the percentage discount from the price listed in Tariff 400. That's the standard numbers and most movers are giving between 40-50% off of this. If they aren't forthcoming with this information, be wary.

7. Ask whether you will be provided with a certified Weightmaster sealed weight ticket upon loading. You don't want to end up paying the weight of the moving truck as well as your belongings.

Please note the above is for MOVING only, not packing, which will really run up your bill. BUT, if you pack all your boxes yourself, if anything breaks on the move, you will be liable.

Hope that helps!

Old 02-13-2007, 12:56 PM

31 posts, read 125,087 times
You might want to check out www.movingscam.com, I've found it to be a very helpful resource when researching moving companies.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:29 PM

8 posts, read 31,863 times
Great info, I appreciate it....
In case anyone was wondering, renting just a 26' uhaul truck for a one way move from Denver to Pasadena is $503.00. That same truck going one way from Pasadena to Denver is $4242.00. Only a little difference. If anyone needs any more prooof people are leaving CA, here it is.....

Old 02-13-2007, 04:45 PM

117 posts, read 529,693 times
another great option we have used in the past is ABF U pack - you pack what you want into their container, it is sealed and then loaded with other goods. Their online quotation system is easy and we will certainly use them again. There is also a new site where you can put your shipment out to bid - do a search for ushipdotcom. HTH

Old 02-13-2007, 05:47 PM

63 posts, read 326,611 times
Thumbs up ABF movers

I have used ABF twice. I was really happy with them and my driver was pretty flexible about bringing the trailer to my new home. I will use them again if I ever move cross country again.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:07 PM

7 posts, read 37,832 times
Well, I check out 123 mover also, am still getting calls and quotes. I am moving from CA, the los Angeles area. to Loveland and we got a do not exceed in home estimate and are going with Horizon on March4. I will let you know after I am settled in how it went. Best of luck to you.
I also checked out uhaul and it was more expensive than a full service moving company.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 7,202 times
Used Allied.[mod cut] The driver who pick-up and delivery our property was very professional, friendly and attentive. The driver made sure that we were satisfied.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 11-07-2008 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: no links to commercial sites please...

Old 09-26-2014, 04:18 PM

948 posts, read 1,124,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by match View Post
Hi all.
I did the 123 movers get 10 quotes for companies that will load drive and unload. 2 companies had similar lower quotes, usa van lines and northstar moving. Anyone have any experience with these or have another recommendation. Any input would be appreciated, thanks, matt
who ever you go with, stay away from all my sons..they destroyed 90% of my goods and now i am submitting claim. i bought total loss coverage insurance and recommend yu do the same.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:29 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,349,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by match View Post
Hi all. I did the 123 movers get 10 quotes for companies that will load drive and unload. 2 companies had similar lower quotes, usa van lines and northstar moving. Anyone have any experience with these or have another recommendation. Any input would be appreciated, thanks, matt
'aaa discount movers' was affordable and got my stuff here on time, mostly without incident. The guys that moved me were a little salty and cranky, but what can I say?… they're movers. (No aspersions intended) I know that they like it when you call them directly instead of through an agency because they get to keep the full $$$, so maybe they'll be in a better mood for you and give you a deal. :-)

I still have their number if you want --> PM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: