Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 01:33 PM

207 posts, read 809,577 times

Advertisements

Ok, here's one for you guys to help out with. I live in the Sun Valley area ( Hailey), and have been to Durango and Pagosa 6 years ago and found they both offered something nice each with some differences. It appears that PG is cheaper to buy a home at than Durango, is alternative energy minded, more laid back, smaller community, not as much to do there,great vistas and outdoor attractions, but Durango offers a bit more there and is more expensive to buy a home there. So, am I missing anything here or which might be better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 04:04 PM

108 posts, read 378,690 times
What about the Sun Valley area has become bad?
It would seem to me Much nicer there than the area around here has become.
It has gotten Much more crowded in the last six years.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:23 PM

Crowded there is probably a relative thing. You can't touch a home to buy here less than 500K and at that it's not anything to write home about. It really has become very expensive to live here. Did I mention the high radon counts here?

Old 03-04-2007, 10:53 PM

476 posts, read 2,318,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc57 View Post
Ok, here's one for you guys to help out with. I live in the Sun Valley area ( Hailey), and have been to Durango and Pagosa 6 years ago and found they both offered something nice each with some differences. It appears that PG is cheaper to buy a home at than Durango, is alternative energy minded, more laid back, smaller community, not as much to do there,great vistas and outdoor attractions, but Durango offers a bit more there and is more expensive to buy a home there. So, am I missing anything here or which might be better?
Durango may seem crowded to some people but I dont think so. It has about 20,000 in the city and about 70,000 in the county and that includes all the surrounding towns like Bayfield. It is also a large county. I live in nearby San Juan County in New Mexico and it is easily triple that population here. So to me, Durango doesnt seem like a lot of people. Pagosa is cheaper on homes. It has grown some but not alot. Durango has grown especially in the south corridor. The west part remains about the same but may change if they build near the Twin Buttes which is in debate between those who want growth near Durango and others who want open space. The north is about the same. It has grown some, not alot though. It is mainly the east and south areas that are growing. Durango is becoming the arts and entertainment area of the southwest. Fashion and film are also blooming in Durango. So as far as things to do, Durango reigns, but even if you live in Pagosa, you can go to Durango which isnt far.

I lived in Idaho for a short time and I really got tired of the conservative climate and Mormon stronghold. No offense to Mormons but I always felt "out of the loop" since they pretty much stay among their own. I also didnt like the clammy, cloudy winters in Idaho, which is most of the winter. Summers are great though. Anyway, you will love Durango if you are liberal. If you are conservative, Id recommend Pagosa since it has a mix and Cortez, to the west is mostly conservatives. I actually know a couple who are conservatives in Durango and they say they hide it cause everyone they know there is liberal. All my other friends in Durango though are liberal like me.

Congrats to Durango High School for taking the title away from Boulder in the Academic Decathlon. Durango High must be doing something right!

Last edited by I_LUVNM; 03-04-2007 at 11:05 PM..

Old 03-05-2007, 10:13 AM

147 posts, read 627,283 times
We moved to Pagosa 3 years ago from the Denver area and don't regret it for a minute. We have a son in the Jr. High and can't say enough about the schools here. The schools are very family oriented and student teacher ratio is low. Teachers really help kids thrive in the school system here and are on the lookout for problems before they begin.

Pagosa is a fairly laid back town which is growing quickly. Home prices have also grown, but your dollar will go much further here than in Durango. The last statistic I saw indicated that the median home price in Durango is now close to $400k, and that doesn't buy much of a home. Pagosa has a lot of new development going on, the big one (and somewhat controversial) is the Village at Wolf Creek which is supposed to be an Aspen/Vail like resort area.
There is also a new hospital being built which is supposed to be finished late next fall. Growth seems to be managed fairly well, however the big box controversy is ongoing with town planners. If you are looking for a good area to invest in you probably wouldn't go wrong with Pagosa as prices are just going to keep moving upwards. I don't know how much more prices in Durango can appreciate before it truly becomes unaffordable for the majority.

It's great to be able to drive a mile or two from town and be in National Forest land. Fly fishing is great on the San Juan. The town is somewhat of a Norman Rockwell type of place and hopefully the growth won't change that too much.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:23 PM

Thanks alot for the info. That REALLY helps out alot in my choice for Pagosa. Here in the Sun valley area, you have to pay for the views. It appears that in Pagosa, you seem to have views no matter where you are.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:33 PM

Coloradoan, wonderful post about Pagosa! I hear good things about Pagosa. I go over there sometimes and love the pines and hot springs. Something kind of magical about soaking in that water! Do you or anyone know if they plan on building a Walmart there? If they had a Walmart, Pagosa would have the basics covered with the new hospital. You are right, I think the same thing - Pagosa is like a Norman Rockwell town, an Americana type of town.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:29 AM

Walmart? Don't you think that would kinda take away from the Norman Rockwell town concept?

Old 03-06-2007, 10:38 PM

Yes it probably would, but I know most people really want at least a Walmart for affordable things to buy. The one in Durango was built so it looks better than most Walmarts with lots of trees planted in the parking lot too. It would actually help since so many people in Pagosa go to Walmart in Durango to shop, it would cut down all the traffic from Pagosa and make Walmart in Durango not so crowded.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:53 AM

157 posts, read 651,772 times
Default just some more thoughts

Hi gc57 and all.

First, I want to back up synchro's words of caution - SW Colorado, especially Durango, has changed A LOT in the last 6 years. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you should look elsewhere (its still good IMHO). I just recommend another visit to the area before doing anything rash like, oh ... say ... buying a $4.3 million ranch north of Dgo over the phone.

Also, to follow up what Coloradoan said - median home price in Dgo for 4th quarter of 2006 (according to Dgo Herald newspaper) was $423K. BTW, I agree w/ILUVNM - nice post Coloradoan!

Walmart: while I'm not really a Walmart kinda boy, I will say that I think ILUVNM is right - the Dgo Walmart has tried to fit the landscape (not really possible, but they tried) and they offer lots of organic foods, so, as walmarts go, I guess they have done a pretty good job here.

oh, yeah gc57 ... radon counts in Hailey? What's that all about??

Hey, good luck gc57!

Last edited by dgoboy204; 03-08-2007 at 01:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado