U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2007, 03:11 PM

83 posts, read 325,615 times

Advertisements

I am planning to buy a house in the Pueblo area and moving from California with 5 cats. Does anyone out there have any suggestions how I should do it and what should I do with them in the week or so I get into the new house.
Sounds crazy but cat lovers would understand. They are old cats age 8 and up!
ioneoskay@kittymail.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 04:56 PM

63 posts, read 289,612 times
I moved cross country 3 times with cats and one of them was elderly (10 yr). The first time I went to the vet for tranquilzers (for them not me!). The second time I tried using the tranquilizers, but the kitties were wise to it and wouldn't touck the canned food that I had crused the pills in! The third time, we just winged it and they did great. I moved three kitties and a medium sized dog, the kitties each had their own cat crate with the small duel dish feed dish and also the smallest litter pan and some old towels that they could curl up in. We had to stay 2-3 nights in motels during the moves. I kept the kitties in their crates the whole trip so there was less chance of them getting away or running out of the motel rooms. They did fine (and so did I after they stopped the meowing!) The dog just road in the seat and slept most of the time. Be sure to check which hotels allow pets. There is a book you can get at AAA if you are a member. Have a safe trip!

Old 02-13-2007, 05:02 PM

20,310 posts, read 37,810,444 times
Use the Search tool with keyword cats to find all the postings here, and there are a lot of them.

A good one on this topic is:
HELP - moving to Denver with two cats!

s/Mike

Old 02-13-2007, 05:24 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,057,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ioneoskay View Post
I am planning to buy a house in the Pueblo area and moving from California with 5 cats. Does anyone out there have any suggestions how I should do it and what should I do with them in the week or so I get into the new house.
ioneoskay@kittymail.com
Old? My bichon is 14, old? she runs around here like a puppy, yes a girl!

If you are going to drive, get them use to a crate. make it fun. food.

I would not use pills. take them in the crate for short drives in you car.

I would ask your vet for a referral, and if not contact a vet, and board them together, or near each. you also may check out yellow pages for boarding,
have your vet work with the boarding. be sure they have shots, also bring the food they are use to. best of luck!

Old 02-14-2007, 07:09 PM

7 posts, read 31,075 times
We moved with 2 cats to Colorado. What to do kind of depends on the personality of your cats. We frequently take our cats for short little car rides so they were used to it. If your cats freak out in the car, I agree with the earlier suggestion of taking them on some short rides before the trip to get them used to it. If some of them are still freaked beyond reason, you might want to get some tranquilizers from your vet. We had some 'just in case' with us on our trip - never had to use them.

We used a padded crate for one of our cats because he likes to roam around the car, bug the driver, play with the pedals and other scary things. The other cat just preferred to sit in the back window, so that's what we let her do.

We brought some little plastic throw-away pans with kitty litter for their 'needs'. We also had little food and water bowls available - never next to the litter since cats are picky about that kind of thing. Remember to have a scoop and some plastic bags nearby so you can easily pull over and clean up if necessary.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:38 PM

170 posts, read 697,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ioneoskay View Post
ioneoskay@kittymail.com
Hi there!!

I just moved from south TX to Colorado Springs with four cats (ages 9,9,2 and 3). We drove straight through 15 hours and arrived this past Monday. On the advice of my vet, I did not use any anti-anxiety meds and my cats did great...and believe me they typically do NOT like car rides. My vet recommended not to use any meds because some cats don't have a good reaction and also because some times it stresses them more if they don't have control of all of their senses...she said it is like a drunken state and it may stress them more to be in a state they are not accustomed.

I bought 3 large crates (the box read for 30 lb dogs). I put the two younger cats in one crate and the two older cats each got their own crate. I put mini-size litter boxes in each. They meowed a bit at the beginning then they decided to just endure the trip. They basically just hung out in their crates during the 15 hour ride...they slept some and then just laid their w/ their eyes open. Trust me, I'm a huge cat lover and I thought this was going to be the most stressful part of my out-of-state move...but they handled it sssoooo much better than I expected. It took them a day or two to acclimate to my new place in CO Springs but they are back to their usual cat selves again and have forgiven me. Don't get me wrong, I don't think they enjoyed the 15 hour ride...but they handled it with no problems.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you and your kitties...it will probably be a little stressful for you and your cats but is manageable...and they'll forget about it in a few days.

Take care. Minz

p.s. Most people think I'm crazy for having four cats...so it's nice to meet someone who has five cats.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:43 PM

639 posts, read 3,189,123 times
I drove friends of mine down to South Carolina from New Hampshire last year and the reason why they had me do the driving is because they had their 2 cats and they took turns sitting in the back with them. We left on a monday night and arrived in SC on Wednesday around noontime. They rented a van, and I have to say, it worked out very well. This couple didn't end up using the pills the vet gave them for the cats, but they had them "just in case" and the two of them did very good considering they were hauled in and out of that van and in to motel rooms for a few nights. I thought the above poster that mentioned using the BIG crates was SUCH a good idea. I want to make sure I tell my friends that IF they decide to move back to New England! (we're keeping our fingers crossed they stay at least 2 years to really give it a shot!) Cats are resiliant and SO easy to travel with basically. I was nervous with this little jaunt down to SC, but it worked out fine. We never heard one peep out of those two cats, they were amazing with that type of a trip.

Good luck, your cats will be fine, they're SUCH wonderful pets to have. Every time I think about those big crates I laugh, I can just picture 5 big crates in the back of a van all lined up with the cats purring away in each one of them!

My two cats are 15 & 17 years old. They're like kittens to this day, they're as healthy as they come. They just got through racing around the whole house and kicking up the rug runner in the hallway. Now that they have it out of their system, they're sound asleep! I'm hoping my two live to be at least 22 may be 23 if we're lucky. Now, that's old for a cat! Yours are still "little guys!"

My friends that I drove down to SC's two cats are a few years younger than these two and one of them that we traveled with has all kinds of health issues. So like humans, they're all different and they're all definitely different with their personalities. OH how all of us cat lovers know that one very well!

My two are a persian and a siamese and they're like two sisters because one minute they're not speaking to each other and the next they're sound asleep on the couch together!

Old 02-19-2007, 09:28 AM

41 posts, read 196,194 times
I have been involved with transporting rescued cats long distances.

They will travel fine.. definitely use crates large enough for a litter pan (a shoebox works too). Use non-clumping litter or it will be like a block of cement by the time you get there. Keeping them hydrated can be difficult, as cats tend to 'shut down' when they are stressed.. so think about maybe a favorite treat of theirs, work out how to maybe mix water into it so they can be encouraged to take in some extra liquid, even before you leave. Rescue Remedy (health food stores) is excellent - very safe, not a tranq but is excellent for stress/trauma etc. You can put it in their mouth, rub a drop on their ears, a few drops in their water, and even sprinkle a few drops on their blanket.

When you get to the new place, I would suggest you leave them in their travel crates for a little longer, so they can get used to the surroundings. Start them off shut in one room, and leave the crates there with the doors open - they may go in and out of the crates if they feel safe in them. Then over the next week you can gradually let them out into the rest of the house. The last thing you want is to just let them out and have them hide behind the refrigerator or something crazy. Good luck, they will be fine.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:42 PM

8 posts, read 39,793 times
Default We have thought of renting a motorhome to move the cats

While I have not yet made the trip, we live in Delaware and have bought land to retire upon in Colorado. That will be about four days' driving. We have seven cats, ranging in age from 5 -10. When it comes time for the move we are considering renting a mini motorhome to move them and us (presuming we will move our cars with the moving van or tow one). One site for rental motorhomes is www.cruiseamerica.com. Alternatively, we might rent a large van. Having traveled with cats often in my past, the large crate idea is best, to fit a tiny litter pan, food and water into for them. Also, AAA has a book that lists all of the pet-friendly motels along the way, so you can find ones that will allow the kitties in the room with you.

Good luck . .I can really relate how daunting the whole idea seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or