U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 01:21 PM

13 posts, read 49,374 times

Advertisements

Pueblo wouldn't top my list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 06:59 PM

108 posts, read 337,844 times
Glenwood Springs would be my choice from your list.
It is better if we do not put any remaining really good
places up in public forums.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:12 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,802 posts, read 37,487,214 times
IMHO... no personal attacks intended

Denver - Crowded, more crime, just a 'big city'
Alamosa - bit remote, (from intl airport-big city) but very nice spot for outdoor recreation, - My second choice (if air travel is not important)
Craig - quite remote, tad 'barren', or at least getting close to barren - probably a decent choice w/o kids
Glennwood Springs - very nice 'mid-sized town' bit spendy, but... you will retain equity growth in home, so if you can afford taxes you will do ok. Lots of options for recreation, and ez trip east or west **My first choice
Brush - farming, flat, Prairie, mixed races, potential gangs from the 'under privledged (2nd to last choice, tho I'm a prairie lover)
Durango - great choice, but spendy, trendy... socially can be too trendy, not a top choice any longer, but worth condering - 4th choice
Pueblo - another big city, tho dusty, dirty and hot, last choice
Grand Juction - good choice, variety of things to do and places to go, but pretty remote (closer to SLC for airport) 3rd choice
Aurora - same as Denver, tho a moderate more 'family friendly' than Denver central (I wouldn't do a big city if I valued the 'relationship' with others and my own family, not an option for me... I don't do 'traffic lights'...

I'd probably spend some time on 'greatschools.net', then look at community support and involvement in local efforts. Then to Colleges and Jr Colleges for culture and recreation and education options, define type of activities you will want to pursue and then do an 'interview trip'. Try to stay in a 'non-commercial' guest home and get to know some locals.. (several listings of organizations on the web, or within your own 'networks' (church, clubs, schools, organizations)) We have exclusively traveled with guest homes for ~ 20yrs, and they truly make our trips special, very good experience for kids to become engaged in other cultures. I have gone to the trouble of making an 'economic spreadsheet' for CoL details, but since your choices are all in one state, I'd go for the community that best suits your values and supports the way I would like your kids to grow-up. (which for me meant LOTS of volunteer community service, good libraries, and community support and safety). No TV would have been great, but they did get a 7 hr/wk allotment of that (or $7 if they chose none) That included electronic and computer games - I'm fodder for CPS

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 02-17-2007 at 01:23 AM..

Old 02-17-2007, 09:32 AM

8 posts, read 31,366 times
Default Jmho

Highlands Ranch,
Littleton,
Parker, or
Castle Rock
colorado springs
good homes for under $350k,great schools.clean,good shopping and most of all the proximity(except colo springs) to downtown denver for concerts,games and special events!!!JMO

Old 02-17-2007, 04:46 PM

2 posts, read 7,106 times
I wanted to pass along a couple of links to extremely helpful websites as far as gathering school information and rankings.

The first is the link for the official Colorado Department of Education school rankings: http://reportcard.cde.state.co.us/reportcard/CommandHandler.jsp

Another great link where you can check out both private and public schools is below:

http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/go/CO

Old 02-17-2007, 05:18 PM

110 posts, read 433,666 times
1) Durango, if housing can be found in your price range....this may be tough to do.

2) Grand Junction....but actually if it were me I would consider Montrose which is 45min. to an hour south of GJ.

3) Glenwood Springs

I would not consider the other places unless you wanted a large city and then Denver would come into play as there are nice areas in Denver that could fit your price range re: housing. I am familiar with all of them as I lived in Colorado in various towns and cities for 48 years.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:49 AM

11 posts, read 51,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMAC View Post
Background:

Moving in September.

young family (2 kids: 2,4)

Looking for:
- good schools
- safe nieghborhood
- access to outdoor activities (hiking, skiing etc)
- resonable access to accomodations (restaurants and shopping)
- all around great place to live and work.

we have a house budget of $300-350k.

Here are the choices of work place. Any recommendations with in these areas OR WITHIN a Resonable commute.

Denver
Alamosa
Craig
Glennwood Springs
Brush
Durango
Pueblo
Grand Juction
Aurora

Thank you for your responses!!

Mac
My first choice would be Craig. I believe that it fits all of your recommendations in some form or another. We have safe neighborhoods and good schools. We have limitless opportunities for recreation and while there may not be a lot of amenities such as shopping and restaurants, it is only 45 minutes from Steamboat Springs, which has more than plenty. The people are genuine and the friendliest in the West and there are numerous community organizations and activities for people to enjoy. Oh, and we don't any of the problems of the metropolitan areas such as crime, bad traffic or yuppies.

Housing values are relatively low for Colorado and you can get a decent spread or a big city house for $350,000. I personally like Grand Junction, but I don't believe that at the moment, that it is the best place to raise a family. A friend of mine is actually moving herself and her child away from GJ to Steamboat Springs for that very reason.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:55 AM

4 posts, read 17,196 times
We are moving to the Rye/ Colorado City. What I love is that the community is small, but very helpful. The schools are great. I have a 5 and 6 year old. The housing prices are affordable, and the commute to Pueblo is only 25 miles. I grew up in Colorado and always had an "attitude" about the Pueblo area. Pueblo's very industrial (smaller town though) along the I-25 corridor, and older looking. Pueblo west and other outlaying areas are nice. Great views of the mountains and plains. Jennifer Chappel with Rye Thunderbolt united country realestate can help you. Also look up Rye,or Colorado City for more info from the chamber of commerce and other websites.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:55 PM

13,651 posts, read 21,503,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elealaska View Post
We are moving to the Rye/ Colorado City. What I love is that the community is small, but very helpful. The schools are great. I have a 5 and 6 year old. The housing prices are affordable, and the commute to Pueblo is only 25 miles. I grew up in Colorado and always had an "attitude" about the Pueblo area. Pueblo's very industrial (smaller town though) along the I-25 corridor, and older looking. Pueblo west and other outlaying areas are nice. Great views of the mountains and plains. Jennifer Chappel with Rye Thunderbolt united country realestate can help you. Also look up Rye,or Colorado City for more info from the chamber of commerce and other websites.
Good for you! I grew up there. Go Bolts!

Old 03-01-2007, 03:56 PM

65 posts, read 360,073 times
Glenwood Springs, hands down.

At least for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado