U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 12:38 PM

18 posts, read 78,996 times

Advertisements

if around denver, check out evergreen maybe or golden. i wouldn't go aurora, highlands ranch, littleton etc.
glenwood springs is your best choice if you like crested butte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 06:10 PM

29 posts, read 62,702 times
Ok I will be devils advocate here and say the only area I really enjoy out of those is colorado springs! District 20 is where my daughter went to school and she went from knowing no sight words and not reading in Kindergarten to reading by the end of kindergarten. If you are looking for great schools then go there plus the housing market is relatively low compared to Denver and all the urban areas. There is a walmart nearby, malls, movie theater and people are nice here! STAY AWAY FROM DISTRICT 11. District 49 is great and so is Monument area is you want spendier areas...just depends on preference. I like solitude and I felt comfortable in Briargate despite the fact that I was in a "big" city. Just an opinion!

Old 03-08-2007, 12:08 PM

3,029 posts, read 10,447,534 times
as another federal family looking to move... colorado is my home and we are trying get there but you have to go where the jobs are.

Denver/Aurora would be last (traffic is a bull)they are one in the same Aurora is just outlying of denver. Yes, Cherry creek is nice but $350 for housing??? I don't think so. If you decide on Denver I would seriosly look at evergreen and streching that GS salary. The area of Bowmar out near Chatfield is nice to.

Colorado springs is a great area and growing like crazy. We are on the list here for a job. I have found housing to be more expensive than I had thought. $350-400 nicer house bigger yard. Woodland Park is nice as well. up in the mountians, but getting to south CSpr. could be a bear. Close to all the things you want.

Glenwood Springs is beautiful it is more remote. but is right off I70 so has easys acess to other areas. Aspen close for great skiing and tons of outdoor recreation. I am not sure about the schools.

Durango is another fantastic mountian town. but housing will be expensive. not sure if you can get a place for $350k. It's a small town and traveling in and out of there in the winter can be really tough. I would love to have a cabin there but having 3 kids...I don't think I want to live there year round.

Grand Junction....I love this town. it's a westren town with big anienties but a small town feel. Good Hospital (used by Glenwood and montrose citizens) Has decent sized Airport and is EQUAL distance to DEnver (5 hours) and Salt Lake City. It's high desert not green colorado rockies. Very outdoors rec friendly. Loads of hiking in the National monument and moutnian biking. Skiing at Powerhourn is only about 1 hour max away. Glenwood springs is an hour away and Vail is 3 hours away. (but you don't have to endure the Eisenhower tunnel to get to great skiing!!) Schools are good (esp. out in the Redlands area) it has a Mesa state college so you can see plays and college football. My folks live there and love it. Great motorcycling and snowmobling on the mesa. Tons of Golf.

so i'd rate
Colorado springs and Grand Junction as #1
(mountian vs high desert)
Glenwood #2
Durango #3
just for the remoteness of it.

Denver area #4
but look at living out Denver proper.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:19 PM

71 posts, read 105,188 times
Default Woodland Park

Hello. I would definitely say Woodland Park. I guess it depends on if you want to live in the "city" or in a place like most people imagine when they think of Colorado. Woodland Park is only 14 miles from Colorado Springs. Pure Colorado scenery & mountains. Easy commute. Great highway. No traffic. I have a lot of post about all of the benefits of Woodland Park. Take a look, if you have any questions.
Take care,
Chris

Old 03-08-2007, 07:33 PM

643 posts, read 2,166,448 times
I would have loved to go to Glenwood Springs or near it but it was just to boxed in. 3 hours to Denver is a long drive going south gets bad or impossible to drive as you pass Aspen. I could have made it into a small home and been fine around GS but it wouldnt have left much money left. It is such a safe area all around there and the schools are great. There is diversity and A LOT of organizations, clubs etc for everyone at every age if you liked. There is skiing, an amusement park, #1 walkable city of 2006 and a bus that goes straight to Aspen. I wrote several posts on it quite a awhile ago as I got a lot of info over the last year.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:44 AM

29 posts, read 62,702 times
One thing the person for woodland park forgot to point out is the commute in winter...how good are you at driving in snow on mountain roads? I wouldn't wish that commute on anyone however winter driving sucks anywhere in the state of colorado!

Old 03-09-2007, 10:19 AM

71 posts, read 105,188 times
Default Woodland Park Commute

Hello again. The commute from Woodland Park to Colorado Springs is easy a pie!!! The highway is new, the roads are perfectly dry 99 percent of the time. The sun is always out here, so at this altitude the roads clear up so fast it's amazing. The roads up in Woodland Park clear up much faster than down in Colorado Springs. I don't agree that driving anywhere in Colorado in the winter is a problem. But, we've actually lived in different parts of the country that have REAL winters - where the roads are solid ice for 3 months or so. Here - it's not something you even think about.

Take care,
Chris

Old 03-11-2007, 08:49 PM

2 posts, read 6,187 times
I love the Glenwood Springs area, you have everything at your fingertips, as far as the outdoors goes. The school system seems fine... you can problably get into a townhome for around that price. New castle is a 18 minute commute and housing is good.

I am planing on leaving the area in the future, only because of my husbands job. I know I cannot stand Grand Junction, Crime rate as went up...
I am a small town gurl and will remain in a small town.
Good Luck.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:44 PM
cmm

1 posts, read 2,965 times
Default Not Durango...

I probably wouldn't choose Durango, Steamboat or Aurora. Pueblo has some poor area's to watch out for.

Durango is way expensive and getting worse and worse ever day (as is steamboat) and more and more commercialized for the tourists.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:29 PM
tmo

2 posts, read 4,665 times
Default salida secret

chek out salida. quiant mtn town with recreation galore. growing fast but still small. great arts, river and historic buildings.

http://coloradoheadwaters.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado