U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 10:56 AM

44 posts, read 147,093 times

Advertisements

Thanks Sage Sam for the wise advise. I've been meaning to ask what mineral rights are??? Everything is just so different than here in the midwest! In many ways it seems safer to buy in an equine subdivision. But, I am weary of covenants. Just like ILUVMN wrote there are good things about them and there can be some huge negatives. I do love the idea of living in a friendly community with the common love of horses and riding. It may take several trips for us to make a final decision. And, wanting acreage in the end is simply having a little space around us. We are looking at some properties with much less, now that we know what BLM is

Thanks again, for taking the time to help us out!
Catherine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elealaska View Post
We are purchasing a piece of property in Rye. That's located 25 miles south of Pueblo. Hatchet Ranch is close to there with lots of larger parcels at great prices. This area is wonderful! Small community, large parcels of land, great views of mountains or plains. Milder temperatures. What sold us on the area is the friendliness of the community. They are willing to help out if in time of need, and it's tucked away and not "discovered" yet. Although Pueblo has health facilities, etc. Check into the area... [mod cut]
maybe we'll have the time this week to check it out. 3 days is such a short trip. I wish we had the time to stay a month, but it's not going to happen. If we don't get a chance this week, we'll check it out in June. It is so important living in a friendly communtiy

Thanks for sharing info on your little piece of paradise I wish you the best!
Catherine

Old 02-25-2007, 11:49 AM

10,878 posts, read 41,266,070 times
absent extractive industry development in your area, purchasing "mineral rights" ... the coal, petroleum, diamonds, opals, gold, or silver, etc. ... beneath the ground that you buy is not worthwhile.

in most areas, you won't be able to purchase them, anyway ... since they've already been acquired by individuals or companies on speculation (or gov't grant --- railroads) many years ago. If there was a viable mineral interest in the area, it's probably been developed years ago, and nobody's selling their interest for cheap ($20/acre???). Colorado was originally a gold and silver "rush" area, and those mines have been economically challenged for a long time (only a handfull operate today); now that environmental issues are enforced, it's that much more difficult to justify the extractive costs. Other mines ... trona, molybdenum, coal, gypsum ... are well known areas and you won't be buying a site there.

For a bit of interesting Colorado history, go to Idaho Springs or Georgetown on your visit. Take a look at some of the historic mining maps and you'll see how complex and convoluted the mining claims and mineral rights are. The working mines literally pay out minute portions of a percent in royalties today to people whose families invested in mineral rights over a century ago. The bookkeeping challenge is incredible ... they're paying out a dollar here and a dollar there for monthly royalty checks, sometimes even less than a dollar.
The railroad mineral rights were granted for obtaining coal to run the trains, and are well known. You won't be buying a small acreage right from them ... they sell in large parcels to commercial interests.

Understandably, a concern about mineral rights is that somebody can come along and develop previously unworked mineral claims rights on your property, disturbing the surface (access roads, equipment, pollution, etc), even ruining a foundation to a building or structure you own. And, they're making money (potentially) off of the bounty of your land by extracting something from it. The likelihood of this happening is a very small fraction of a percent ....

Be much more concerned about climate, soil, and water. That's what you'll really have to deal with in your search for a nice horse property.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:47 AM

476 posts, read 2,091,088 times
I agree, for most, mineral rights wont affect people. There are a few areas of concern to note concerning rights. If you live in a natural gas or oil area, you might find an oil well or gas pump stuck on your property with you getting NO proceeds if you dont have the rights. That is sorry. Also if you buy property with say slate or limestone or any cultured rock that can be used for say kitchen countertops or tiles, they can come on that property and take it from you. Make sure if you have these kinds of properties, you have the rights. The land deed should state on it any rights you have, if not, just know this.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
absent extractive industry development in your area, purchasing "mineral rights" ... the coal, petroleum, diamonds, opals, gold, or silver, etc. ... beneath the ground that you buy is not worthwhile.

in most areas, you won't be able to purchase them, anyway ... since they've already been acquired by individuals or companies on speculation (or gov't grant --- railroads) many years ago. If there was a viable mineral interest in the area, it's probably been developed years ago, and nobody's selling their interest for cheap ($20/acre???). Colorado was originally a gold and silver "rush" area, and those mines have been economically challenged for a long time (only a handfull operate today); now that environmental issues are enforced, it's that much more difficult to justify the extractive costs. Other mines ... trona, molybdenum, coal, gypsum ... are well known areas and you won't be buying a site there.

For a bit of interesting Colorado history, go to Idaho Springs or Georgetown on your visit. Take a look at some of the historic mining maps and you'll see how complex and convoluted the mining claims and mineral rights are. The working mines literally pay out minute portions of a percent in royalties today to people whose families invested in mineral rights over a century ago. The bookkeeping challenge is incredible ... they're paying out a dollar here and a dollar there for monthly royalty checks, sometimes even less than a dollar.
The railroad mineral rights were granted for obtaining coal to run the trains, and are well known. You won't be buying a small acreage right from them ... they sell in large parcels to commercial interests.

Understandably, a concern about mineral rights is that somebody can come along and develop previously unworked mineral claims rights on your property, disturbing the surface (access roads, equipment, pollution, etc), even ruining a foundation to a building or structure you own. And, they're making money (potentially) off of the bounty of your land by extracting something from it. The likelihood of this happening is a very small fraction of a percent ....

Be much more concerned about climate, soil, and water. That's what you'll really have to deal with in your search for a nice horse property.
Again, thanks more interesting info. I would never have thought it was legal for anyone else to be able to mine my property. In my little part of the world, it wouldn't be. I thought that's what ownership was?? I guess here it would be sort of like, I buy some farm land, but a farmer can come along and see fertile soil and tell me he has farming rights and farm it??? I don't know who came up with such a law? Shouldn't companies have to own the land they mine? But, from what you've said it's not a big probability. It will be another thing to watch out for. I'm so glad I've checked out this forum!

Thanks,
Catherine

Old 02-27-2007, 11:15 AM

3 posts, read 18,296 times
I would tell you to look into Fort Morgan, CO. There is acreages to be found that you could raise your own hay and have all the horses you want. [cut] The the town has a working small airport, nice view of the rockies. But also there is the hospital that can have airlife land on the roof and you are gone. The docotors are many and good. They wanted to raise their children in a small town. Their are many churchs to chose from. There are high paying jobs(Schlumbeger, Co. Plains Med. Center) you have to look. The main street has a theater that has been redone and is beautiful inside and the owners greet you and the ticket booth. Also during the summer we have a wonderful outdoor pool. Indoor pool can be found in the health club. Which there is several. I grew up 20 miles south of Fort Morgan and could wait to leave. Guess what I am back with my husband and raising three wonderful children. They are involved in gymnastics, the school plays, and the school sing groups. Fort Morgan is just a hour away from Denver, 100 miles from Fort Collins, and 45 minutes from Greeley. We may not have all the wonderful thing these towns do but we have a slower way of life. I guess it is the way you look at the glass-- it can either be half full or half empty. I chose to see the glass full. There are soroity clubs to get into or meet friends are the wonderful Itialian restaraunt. Look under Colorado home finders.com to see some of the houses for sell. But call D. Neb he can find horse land if that is what you are interested in.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-27-2007 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: Sorry, no realtor or other forms of advertising permitted.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:32 PM

431 posts, read 2,504,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by left & came back View Post
I would tell you to look into Fort Morgan, CO. There is acreages to be found that you could raise your own hay and have all the horses you want. [cut] The the town has a working small airport, nice view of the rockies. But also there is the hospital that can have airlife land on the roof and you are gone. The docotors are many and good. They wanted to raise their children in a small town. Their are many churchs to chose from. There are high paying jobs(Schlumbeger, Co. Plains Med. Center) you have to look. The main street has a theater that has been redone and is beautiful inside and the owners greet you and the ticket booth. Also during the summer we have a wonderful outdoor pool. Indoor pool can be found in the health club. Which there is several. I grew up 20 miles south of Fort Morgan and could wait to leave. Guess what I am back with my husband and raising three wonderful children. They are involved in gymnastics, the school plays, and the school sing groups. Fort Morgan is just a hour away from Denver, 100 miles from Fort Collins, and 45 minutes from Greeley. We may not have all the wonderful thing these towns do but we have a slower way of life. I guess it is the way you look at the glass-- it can either be half full or half empty. I chose to see the glass full. There are soroity clubs to get into or meet friends are the wonderful Itialian restaraunt. Look under Colorado home finders.com to see some of the houses for sell. But call D. Neb he can find horse land if that is what you are interested in.
Cathrine D --Fort Morgan is plains not the mountains as you were requesting.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:19 PM

13,728 posts, read 21,548,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elealaska View Post
We are purchasing a piece of property in Rye. That's located 25 miles south of Pueblo. Hatchet Ranch is close to there with lots of larger parcels at great prices. This area is wonderful! Small community, large parcels of land, great views of mountains or plains. Milder temperatures. What sold us on the area is the friendliness of the community. They are willing to help out if in time of need, and it's tucked away and not "discovered" yet. Although Pueblo has health facilities, etc. Check into the area... [mod cut]
Well I don't feel so special now:

I had written something similiar as follows.

"Hatchet Ranch has or had 35-40 acre plots south of Pueblo and just north of Colorado City. I believe they run about $39,500 per 35 acres. This may be old news as those plots may have changed in recent years. You may have to put a "1" in front of those figures now. I just see the old sign everyday going to and from work. [cut]

Hope this was helpful."

I think listing commercial info is going to get cut everytime. I suppose that's what PMs are for but the last person who PMd me caught me when I was on a two week business trip and when I got back I had like 10 messages and a pretty irate person at the other end.

The point that I'm trying to make is that it's hard to be helpful to someone and not cross the line.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,607 times
Default urgent

that is very good attemp from you, also i need some houes or land to buy.

please you can kindly contact me through these email address ( don_tony22@yahoo.com)

Thanks

Regards

Don tony

Old 03-01-2007, 03:40 PM

13,728 posts, read 21,548,097 times
See...this is what I'm talking about. I don't want to get moderator cut with giving specific commercial info, but I don't think someone should have to drop there own personal info on a world-wide forum to get answers either.

Please, just drop me a Personal Message and I'll see if I can help you.

Why doesn't the Moderator moderate personal info for the individual's protection?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado