Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 11:10 AM

10 posts, read 61,845 times

Advertisements

I lived in Grand Junction for 5 years--which was 10 yrs ago. Back then it was a very nice and affordable place to live. Lot's of things to do for young folks. It's very close to Moab. You wll like it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 07:11 PM

3 posts, read 8,174 times
Unhappy Scared and Nervous about Grand Junction

Hello all,

I skimmed over the other posts but I've still got concerns about the Grand Junction area. First off let me explain that I've lived in Northern VA (right outside the Washington DC area) all my life. I was born in Bethesda MD and have lived in the suburbs of NVA til now. My bf that I met almost 4 years ago grew up in Grand Junction CO. He moved out to Alexandria VA to be with his mother, but when we first met, all he said was how much he hated the East Coast. I'm an East Coaster. I love the beaches, the idea of being secluded during a storm down in NC or on the Eastern Shores of MD. That's me. But that's all I've known. Now as for my bf, as I stated previously, he's originally from Grand Junction, but came out to VA and hated it. He's been back in the Grand Junction area for some time now and is planning on staying for the next 3 years, at least. Our long distance relationship has had its ups and downs, but we've managed to make it work because our love is so strong and we communicate. The one thing I haven't communicated is how scared I am to move to what I'm assuming is a small town. He wants me to move out there with my 3 boys (ages 3 to 9) and start our life there, then eventually move to Alaska or Arizona. I'm willing, but I have my concerns, such as: are the schools good? I'm coming from Fairfax County schools which were one of the top school districts in the Nation. Is there other things to do besides the usual hunting, rafting, hiking, camping? Are there museums or fun and interesting things for kids? Is it easy to find a job out there? My bf tells me not to worry, he's a manager for some well service company and can get me a job since the owner is going to hand him the business. But I still want to work on my own, to keep that bit of independence if you know what I mean. Also, I read in a previous post that it is hard to find places to rent out there...does that mean I'm going to have a hard time finding a home for us?

Am I being overly concerned/scared or what? I really could use some advice on which websites to try out to get more information. I know I'm not planning on leaving VA til the boys are out of school which isn't until June/July depending on the winter, so I'm trying to start my planning now to be as prepared as anything.

Thanks to anyone in advance who can offer some advice or support with websites or information in general!

Old 11-08-2008, 08:42 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,925,448 times
Here are a few links that should be helpful in learning more about Grand Junction.

Grand Junction Sentinel newspaper

Grand Junction Free Press newspaper

City of Grand Junction website

Grand Junction Visitors Center

My answer to most of your questions is this...It's up to you. It's what you make of it.

My wife is a teacher in the Grand Junction school district. According to her, the schools are comparable to the schools in Virginia Beach which are among the most hightly rated schools in Virginia. She says the biggest differences are that the kids here are more disciplined and easier to work with in the classroom, and that the local district is not as up to date with computer resources in the classroom. The teacher payscales are similar, though slightly less here.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:31 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,650,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
My wife is a teacher in the Grand Junction school district. According to her, the schools are comparable to the schools in Virginia Beach which are among the most hightly rated schools in Virginia. She says the biggest differences are that the kids here are more disciplined and easier to work with in the classroom, and that the local district is not as up to date with computer resources in the classroom. The teacher payscales are similar, though slightly less here.
I do think it depends on where you live in Grand Junction. I taught elementary school in one of the "less desirable" areas of town, and my experience was much different from your wife's. I had many, many students who were out of control and had no discipline whatsoever. Of course, this is pretty much how their families are and it is accepted in their homes. I would be extremely careful about which schools you send your kids to. There are some amazing teachers at the "bad" schools, but the kids behavior can really take away from the others learning. Do some research because the Grand Valley is all one school district, but the schools can be worlds apart!

Old 11-19-2008, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the websites, CosmicWizard. I really appreciate it!

Old 11-19-2008, 11:12 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,650,454 times
Here is a link for the school district in Grand Junction:

http://www.mesa.k12.co.us/2003/index.cfm

You might also want to check out the Co. State Dept. of Educ. site. You can find the school reports on this.

Colorado Department of Education Home Page

Go to the school achievement results link to get district reports. Of course, these reports only give you a glimpse of the schools based on standardized tests. However, I do think they give you a general feel for a school. Most of the schools that scored poorly did so because they have kids with major behavior problems.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:41 PM

I appreciate all the information from both of you, Delta and Cosmic! You both have no idea how much this has helped me in my decision.

Thank you again!

Old 12-02-2008, 04:40 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,089,733 times
I've ruled out Wyoming as its plaqued with alot of wind.

It's between the CO front range - Fort Collins, Windsor, Greeley etc

And GJ.

Our gas is paid for and my fiance's boss is going to carpool with him.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:39 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,104,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
I've ruled out Wyoming as its plaqued with alot of wind.

It's between the CO front range - Fort Collins, Windsor, Greeley etc

And GJ.

Our gas is paid for and my fiance's boss is going to carpool with him.
If you like small town/city living, milder climates, less traffic, and easier/shorter access to recreation, the estern slope BLOWS away the front range IMHO.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:27 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,089,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
If you like small town/city living, milder climates, less traffic, and easier/shorter access to recreation, the estern slope BLOWS away the front range IMHO.
Does GJ have malls, alot of good eateries (outdoors) good hunting opportunities, all the things you could need?

The climate of GJ REALLY appeals to me. I hate alot of traffic and crowded areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado