U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 04:00 PM

11 posts, read 68,094 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the info folks - I'm looking forward to the move out to Denver - even if its without TJs! I have to make a drive back to the SFBay area before the move, so I'll probably stockup on all my favorite wines & local goods to haul out with me!

As it is, my Honey thought I was nuts moving to Vegas with my wine collection the last time, so when I tell him we need a climate controlled truck for this move, I'm sure I'll get a bit of eye-rolling...

We do have TJs here in Vegas, so I'll try to wean myself off of them and on to Whole Foods, but it just won't be the same...alas - I did discover the Front Range apparently has some decent wineries (as does Grand Junction), so I might have to pay them a visit.

Old 02-24-2007, 05:23 PM

210 posts, read 1,257,424 times
...That, or you'll just have to make frequent trips to Santa Fe (the nearest TJ's to Denver)....!!

Old 02-24-2007, 05:33 PM

4,805 posts, read 9,404,615 times
Hello

Speaking for someone who lives in northeast North Dakota/northwest Minnesota I have never heard of Trader Joe's. Seems like a grocery store selling more healthy/organic foods? BTW...I grew up in western Kentucky in a dry county where it was and still is illegal for anyone to sell alcohol. So if you wanted any you had to travel to a "wet" county. Thought those of you out west who have never been to Kentucky or the south might get a kick out of that.

Dan

Old 02-26-2007, 10:09 AM

572 posts, read 1,265,975 times
Smile Tj

I live in Seattle are and we have Trader Joes. It is one of the best stores I have ever seen. We were planing on moving to CS in a few years and would love the thought of TJ. I think it would fit in well. I will send a request in.

Old 02-26-2007, 04:18 PM

431 posts, read 2,559,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
One of the things we had back in Northern VA that we don't have here is a food store called Trader Joe's.

TJ's has a following of fans who like the low prices and wonderful variety of cool foods not found in big chains. They seem to get foods made by smaller firms that the big chains don't carry. Any given week you might find a one-time deal on a frozen lobster concoction, next week it will be something else. My favorite deal was a wine known as 2-buck-chuck. Wine you won't find in wine stores wanting to sell you a $20 bottle of "good stuff." Let me tell ya, 2-buck-chuck (Charles Shaw) was EXCELLENT wine. Shaw bought tons of excess wine from a year of great abundance and sold it cheaply all over the place...we got it in Fairfax, VA, but it was not found in the chains or wine stores there. That's the sort of deal you get at TJ's and that's why fans love the stores. TJ's really DID pass the savings along to us. Everything we got there was excellent, high quality food.

Nearest TJ's to CO are Sante Fe and Albuquerque, NM. If TJ's can be in NM, then they SHOULD be here too.

I've gone to the TJ's website and requested stores for Colorado Springs and Denver. Looking forward to their reply.

Meanwhile, I read many posts in the CO forum where folks from other states, especially California, miss their TJ's.

I'm with you. Everyone who'd like a TJ's here please go to TJ's site and fill out a request to get stores here.

Site is: http://www.traderjoes.com/location_requests_form.aspx (broken link)

The more people that speak up, the sooner we'll get some TJ's here.

Feedback? Thoughts?

s/Mike from back east
You wanted thoughts, here is mine.---If things were the same here as there why move? Never heard of TJs and I have survived for many many yrs. I am not trying to be smart but when people ask things like ----how do Coloradoans treat---who ever from whatever state. One thing we really get tired of hearing is----in BLANK we had so and so or it was better in BLANK. Well you can't bring it with you so don't leave where you are now. We all are different and have different shops, stores etc. A little change is good for the soul. Sorry if I come across as angry. I don't mean it that way. I just want new residence to think about how your complaints come across to us that hear this sort over and over. We are proud of our beautiful state. Guess we are just hicks but we like being hicks.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:16 PM

20,843 posts, read 39,064,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
You wanted thoughts, here is mine.---If things were the same here as there why move? Never heard of TJs and I have survived for many many yrs. I am not trying to be smart but when people ask things like ----how do Coloradoans treat---who ever from whatever state. One thing we really get tired of hearing is----in BLANK we had so and so or it was better in BLANK. Well you can't bring it with you so don't leave where you are now. We all are different and have different shops, stores etc. A little change is good for the soul. Sorry if I come across as angry. I don't mean it that way. I just want new residence to think about how your complaints come across to us that hear this sort over and over. We are proud of our beautiful state. Guess we are just hicks but we like being hicks.
You're comments do fit for many things, but not sure they apply to choices in the supermarket business.

- We had Whole Foods back east - and here.
- We had Kroger back east - and here (aka King Soopers)
- We had Safeway back east - and here, and all over the country.
- We had every manner of chain store and eatery back east, virtually all are here too.
- We had TJ's back east. They are in many areas. No harm in them coming here. It gives people a chance to get very interesting food items they can't get elsewhere and at great prices too. No one seems to mind WalMart coming here, or Outback Steak House, or Nordstrom's (from Seattle).

I'm not asking to change the open ranges, ranchers, laws, or the unique aspects of life in CO. But I have asked TJ's to consider coming here and occupying a few recently vacated Albertsons stores (4 of them in COS) or a newly vacant Safeway at Union and Briargate. They'd be a perfect fit, no new buildings would have to go up, unemployed grocery store types could get back to work too. It would fit like a charm. Sounds like a good deal to me. People gotta eat.

s/Mike

Old 02-26-2007, 06:07 PM

431 posts, read 2,559,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
You're comments do fit for many things, but not sure they apply to choices in the supermarket business.

- We had Whole Foods back east - and here.
- We had Kroger back east - and here (aka King Soopers)
- We had Safeway back east - and here, and all over the country.
- We had every manner of chain store and eatery back east, virtually all are here too.
- We had TJ's back east. They are in many areas. No harm in them coming here. It gives people a chance to get very interesting food items they can't get elsewhere and at great prices too. No one seems to mind WalMart coming here, or Outback Steak House, or Nordstrom's (from Seattle).

I'm not asking to change the open ranges, ranchers, laws, or the unique aspects of life in CO. But I have asked TJ's to consider coming here and occupying a few recently vacated Albertsons stores (4 of them in COS) or a newly vacant Safeway at Union and Briargate. They'd be a perfect fit, no new buildings would have to go up, unemployed grocery store types could get back to work too. It would fit like a charm. Sounds like a good deal to me. People gotta eat.

s/Mike
We have very few small Mom and Pops left---why because of the big chains. We can't stop them but to have people beg for them to come. It just does not set right. We are a much more rural type living. We are loosing it. Big chains is just part of why. Yes I have heard all the arguments just like yours of growth and economy etc etc etc. The main reason people are wanting to retire here or even move here is to get away from where they are to a easier quieter more laid back type of living. Then for them to want some more big business to come and want what they had in the other place--------You asked for my opinion I gave it. I don't want to argue about it that is how I and a great deal of natives feel. We do welcome new people. Just leave your x state or town behind. We know we are growing just leave us alittle pride in our uniqueness.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:21 AM

2,755 posts, read 11,742,357 times
Default liquor laws

I for one do hope that TJ's comes here, but if they do they'll probably have to find a away to live with the liquor laws, because they're not going anywhere from what I understand.

The reason? I don't claim to undertstand all of the details, but here's the gist of what I have heard.

Most of the vested interests in the state strongly support keeping the blue laws around, for some admittedly good reasons. This state produces a lot of liquor, mostly beer and ales. The state's producers, like New Belgium, O'Dell's, Breckenridge, etc have a good working relationship with locally owned liquor retailers. The state's consumers also have shown a preference to support local products over national products. Even the large brewers are also happy, since they can sell both their 3.2% products in grocery stores as well as their other products in liquor stores. Once the door opens to let large format retailers (e.g., Wal-Mart) into selling liquor, the state's products are unlikely to have such good treatment. In fact, it's extremely unlikely that the Wal-Marts of the world would even stock locally produced liquor other than possibly Coors. Since the large format retailers have the marketing muscle to drive Mom and Pop liquor retailers out of business, at least in suburban areas, that could lead to a huge hit to sales of our state's products in state, to say nothing of the livelihoods of the owners of Mom and Pop liquor stores. Even the large brewers who would sell in Wal-Mart don't like the pricing pressure that that type of scenario would inevitably bring. Essentially the state's business community is never going to allow this to happen, hence the liquor laws remain, and TJ's stays out of state as a side effect (unless they come in despite the blue laws).

One possible compromise: allow small-format grocers to sell liquor while denying licenses to large format ones. This would allow TJ's while not opening the Wal-Mart Pandora's Box, while having the side benefit of giving a boost to Mom and Pop grocery retailers in their losing fight against Wal-Mart and other big chains. I should mention that there's never been serious discussion of this from a legislative angle, it's more just daydreaming.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:22 AM

346 posts, read 1,441,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
I don't think most people want their next destination to be exactly the same as the previous. As you pointed out, there would be no reason to move. Obviously, if I move to Colorado from California, I won't miss the smog, traffic, crowdedness, etc. However, I think it's normal for people to want a little slice of home--it's what's comfortable to them. I know I can't bring the ocean with me, but a Trader Joe's would be nice! How will I ever live without my bowl of Vanilla Almond Clusters cereal every morning? (Just kidding!) And once I get there, I'll try very hard not to say, "In California, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH." I know it's annoying--but I imagine it's just a natural way for people to share their experiences.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:30 AM

12 posts, read 31,343 times
its not the hootch trader joes has stores in states that have state run liquor stores my guess would be that they need to build stores around a warehouse,if the cant feed up to say 35-75 stores in a regin nor-cal so-cal, north west, south ,mid west ,denver would have 2-5 boulder 1,springs 1 then where salt lake 2-3 ,not enough yet ,when they put a warehouse in north texas there will be joes in CO until then watch the south go off with new stores becouse of the ware house in atl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or