U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 11:22 AM

5,748 posts, read 10,742,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
You're comments do fit for many things, but not sure they apply to choices in the supermarket business.

- We had Whole Foods back east - and here.
- We had Kroger back east - and here (aka King Soopers)
- We had Safeway back east - and here, and all over the country.
- We had every manner of chain store and eatery back east, virtually all are here too.
- We had TJ's back east. They are in many areas. No harm in them coming here. It gives people a chance to get very interesting food items they can't get elsewhere and at great prices too. No one seems to mind WalMart coming here, or Outback Steak House, or Nordstrom's (from Seattle).

I'm not asking to change the open ranges, ranchers, laws, or the unique aspects of life in CO. But I have asked TJ's to consider coming here and occupying a few recently vacated Albertsons stores (4 of them in COS) or a newly vacant Safeway at Union and Briargate. They'd be a perfect fit, no new buildings would have to go up, unemployed grocery store types could get back to work too. It would fit like a charm. Sounds like a good deal to me. People gotta eat.

s/Mike
Thank you for your sensible, succinct response. I've lived in many different places over the past ten years, and, looking back, what strikes me is the overwhelming homogeneity of American life. No matter where I go, there is a Target, a Macy's (or equivalent), a McDonald's, an REI, a Starbucks, a Home Depot, etc, etc.

It's interesting to hear all the lamenting about how Colorado is changing for the worse because of transplants. I used to live in Maryland in a neighborhood that had a great deal of ethnic diversity. I think every continent except Antarctica was represented somewhere on our block. Everyone brought a "slice of home" with them, and our community was much more interesting for the sharing of our diverse cultural backgrounds. Nonetheless, for all our differences, what really drew us together was how incredibly similar we all were.

Trader Joe's or no Trader Joe's, Colorado's population is growing and changing. It's inevitable. You can embrace it or reject it, but, short of building a moat around the state, you cannot stop it. And, who knows? You might actually like TJ's.

As I'm looking back at this post, I'm seeing that we've once again ventured into the transplant debate. Oops! Back on topic, I've heard the liquor explanation, too, but it doesn't seem to explain adequately why TJ's is staying out of CO. I'd love to see them expand into this region and will follow the link to make a request. I miss their frozen green beans (harticorts verts), which beat Green Giant hands down and are less expensive to boot. The Castle Rock/Parker area would be a great fit. Then, my neighbors and I could avoid the 30 minute drive to the HR Whole Foods. These gas prices are killing me and I drive a Honda! Thank goodness for the shuttle.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 05-23-2007 at 12:53 PM..

Old 05-23-2007, 01:07 PM

3,029 posts, read 10,643,172 times
MIke...
sadly 2 buck chuck is no longer 2 bucks! I think the going price is now 4 bucks! still a hell of a bargin for a good table wine!

Old 05-23-2007, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 5,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
I for one do hope that TJ's comes here, but if they do they'll probably have to find a away to live with the liquor laws, because they're not going anywhere from what I understand.

Getting around the blue law is not that hard, we have a Western Gas Station on Hwy 24 between Woodland Park and COS. They sell beer, wine , and spirits.
They simply "cage off" the alchohal half of the store on Sunday...Simple.

Trader Joes could do that or Just Close On Sunday...Simple.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:46 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,742,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrigsby View Post
Getting around the blue law is not that hard, we have a Western Gas Station on Hwy 24 between Woodland Park and COS. They sell beer, wine , and spirits.
They simply "cage off" the alchohal half of the store on Sunday...Simple.

Trader Joes could do that or Just Close On Sunday...Simple.
Costco does something similar by opening up a separate "liquor store" next to their regular stores that closes on Sundays.

However, there's also some restrictions in the liquor law, according to my understanding, of how many liquor selling stores a single owner or corporation can own, which was also designed to protect small owners like yourself. For example, I believe there is one and only one Target store in Denver that sells liquor in a caged off portion of the store for this reason. I'm not sure how Costco gets around that -- they must have found a loophole. However, this could make it difficult for TJ's if they plan on opening more than one store in the state.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:17 PM

357 posts, read 1,149,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
For Pete's sake, people: IT'S A GROCERY STORE! .
okay, clearly you've never experienced TJ's. it's not just a grocery store, it's a way of life .

seriously, I don't want anything else from CA retailwise but TJ's and IKEA. I think if you shop there, you'll see what we mean.

I like CO so far. heck, there's a 1 cent horse ride in the king sooper's here. gotta love that!

peace.

lisa

Old 05-23-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCACO View Post
I like CO so far. heck, there's a 1 cent horse ride in the king sooper's here. gotta love that!
Even better, the King Soopers in my neighborhood leaves out a jar of pennies, so you don't even have to go digging in your purse for change.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:14 PM

rebagirl, the house next door is for sale. I'd love to have you as a neighbor!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-23-2007 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: removed material from deleted posts

Old 05-23-2007, 04:24 PM

346 posts, read 1,441,106 times
Thanks! You seem like a level-headed, truly nice person.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:29 PM

Aww...thanks!

Old 05-23-2007, 07:49 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,902,628 times
Just a point on the liquor laws here.

You (an individual or corporation) can only have one store in the state. The blue laws aside, one store that serves the general public can exist under your name or corporation.

As for places like Costco, since we don't have one in C Springs yet, I am not 100% sure but years ago the Sam's Club on South Academy had a seperate liquor area but it was all 3.2 beer and malt beverages at the time. With that said, I think that Sam's and Costco can get away from the one store only because they are a private members club. I could be wrong on that but it would make sense if the Costcos in Denver have full liquor offerings.

Also, I do know that there is only one World Market store in the state that sells wine and to the best of my knowledge that's up in Cherry Creek. I see them advertise every Thursday in the Denver Post.

BTW, it's snowing at my house. Gotta love Colorado!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-23-2007 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: Removed material that referred to posts that were deleted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or