U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 11:22 AM

20,836 posts, read 39,046,511 times

Advertisements

One of the things we had back in Northern VA that we don't have here is a food store called Trader Joe's.

TJ's has a following of fans who like the low prices and wonderful variety of cool foods not found in big chains. They seem to get foods made by smaller firms that the big chains don't carry. Any given week you might find a one-time deal on a frozen lobster concoction, next week it will be something else. My favorite deal was a wine known as 2-buck-chuck. Wine you won't find in wine stores wanting to sell you a $20 bottle of "good stuff." Let me tell ya, 2-buck-chuck (Charles Shaw) was EXCELLENT wine. Shaw bought tons of excess wine from a year of great abundance and sold it cheaply all over the place...we got it in Fairfax, VA, but it was not found in the chains or wine stores there. That's the sort of deal you get at TJ's and that's why fans love the stores. TJ's really DID pass the savings along to us. Everything we got there was excellent, high quality food.

Nearest TJ's to CO are Sante Fe and Albuquerque, NM. If TJ's can be in NM, then they SHOULD be here too.

I've gone to the TJ's website and requested stores for Colorado Springs and Denver. Looking forward to their reply.

Meanwhile, I read many posts in the CO forum where folks from other states, especially California, miss their TJ's.

I'm with you. Everyone who'd like a TJ's here please go to TJ's site and fill out a request to get stores here.

Site is: http://www.traderjoes.com/location_requests_form.aspx (broken link)

The more people that speak up, the sooner we'll get some TJ's here.

Feedback? Thoughts?

s/Mike from back east

Old 12-10-2006, 12:05 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,850,925 times
Mike
I too had always wished that Trader Joe's would come to Colorado, but I am not sure they will in the near future.
(I used to go to the site and request a store, too!)
I really do not know if there is any validity to these theories, but this is what I heard:
Someone told me that they will not come to a place where liquor cannot be sold on Sunday (New Mexico allows sales after noon), also TJ's doesn't like the competition with Wild Oats, Whole Foods as well as Sunflower Markets.
(Is Sunflower Market still in Denver? I heard they opened in Ft Collins.)

Old 12-10-2006, 12:11 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,871,709 times
Gee, I was just in Pittsburgh (PA) with very strict regulations on the sale of liquor--only in State-owned stores and TJs had just opened a large, beautiful store near the City's Whole Foods operations a few weeks earlier with big red ballons that my grand-daughter cherished.

We have a TJs in Santa Fe, and I asked if they'd have more and they just smiled. Also also for the record Santa Fe has a dozen food stores including Whole Foods and a terrific food co-op.

I suppose they have a marketing strategy--but it can't be the two you named or they probably wouldn't have opted for the Pennsylvania Commonwealth

Old 12-10-2006, 12:36 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,850,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post

We have a TJs in Santa Fe, and I asked if they'd have more and they just smiled. Also also for the record Santa Fe has a dozen food stores including Whole Foods and a terrific food co-op.
Yeah, Albuquerque also has a Whole Foods in addition to its Trader Joe's.
All I know is what I heard. With all the transplants heading into Colorado, maybe TJ's will finally heed the call.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:17 PM

4 posts, read 40,177 times
oh no! If there is no Trader Joe's then we cannot move there that is for sure! well, i am half kidding. how sad that makes me i will tell you. they just opened up in my area of michigan and i spend most of my shopping dollars there. i love their food, wine, and other products. well, let's keep hoping...and call!

Old 12-10-2006, 06:42 PM

1,088 posts, read 5,817,905 times
We just got our first Trader Joe's down here in Georgia. My sister and girlfriend have both been raving about them for years. Being originally from CO this was my first exposure to the chain. I don't think I can ever move to another state if they don't have Trader Joe's. Greatest store I have ever been in! Wow. You guys do have Sunflower market though, that place was awesome (Although not as good as TJ's). Whole foods is pathetic in comparison.

Also Cil I had also heard that they were first expanding to states that didn't have very strict liquor laws (leaving both CO & GA to the bottom of the list). When they first came to GA they couldn't get a liquor license until about a month after they opened and like CO its illegal to sell on Sundays here. I figure if they came here CO should be coming up soon.

Old 12-10-2006, 07:47 PM

30,201 posts, read 16,739,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
We just got our first Trader Joe's down here in Georgia. My sister and girlfriend have both been raving about them for years. Being originally from CO this was my first exposure to the chain. I don't think I can ever move to another state if they don't have Trader Joe's. Greatest store I have ever been in! Wow. You guys do have Sunflower market though, that place was awesome (Although not as good as TJ's). Whole foods is pathetic in comparison.

Also Cil I had also heard that they were first expanding to states that didn't have very strict liquor laws (leaving both CO & GA to the bottom of the list). When they first came to GA they couldn't get a liquor license until about a month after they opened and like CO its illegal to sell on Sundays here. I figure if they came here CO should be coming up soon.
No Trader Joe's stores in Colorado is hard to believe, especially with the large number of California transplants living there. Maybe if you folks keep after Trader Joe's corporate (using that term loosely) office to have stores open in your state (especially from former California residents), they'll sit up and take notice, then seriously make plans to open their stores in Colorado.

That's one of the reasons that I feel Colorado is a nice place to visit, but not to live---at least not yet. Until a Trader Joe's store opens...

Old 12-11-2006, 12:48 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,900,917 times
Hehe, I wouldn't mind some Two Buck Chuck but given Colorado's blue laws, TJ would have a hard time with that.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:13 AM

11 posts, read 68,080 times
Question Liquor laws, Trader Joes & Colorado

Question for any/everyone:

I understand that the store Trader Joes will not open a store in Colorado because of the restrictive liquor laws (i.e. food stores can't sell anything w/ more than 3.2% alcohol & Liquor stores can't sell food or be open on Sunday) - BUT is there *ANY* kind of movement in the state legislature to modify (if not overturn) this outdated approach to "morality"???? BTW - why the 2 case limit per address on importing wine? Is there a state monopoly by liquor distributors like in the southern states?

I should explain that I pose this question having grown up in N. California and can't imagine not making my weekly trip to TJs. We have them here in Vegas but even in grocery stores here liquor depts get locked up after a certain hour. (I suspect its a move to get people to sit in front of a slot machine to get a drink!! hahaha)

Old 02-17-2007, 08:21 AM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 19 days ago)

10,882 posts, read 29,307,638 times
I think we discussed Trader Joe's in the past.

Grocery stores are limited to 3.2 beer, not liquor stores.

There was talk of lifting the closed on Sunday rules, the big box stores were for it, the mom and pops weren't. Main reason, they need a day off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or