Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2007, 03:26 PM

22 posts, read 85,499 times

Advertisements

We are looking at moving to the Durango area in Dec./Jan. We both are graduating college in Dec. so we don't have much money saved for a nice house. I know the housing is pretty pricey but we like the area and really would like to move there. Any info. about Durango and housing/rentals would be MUCH appreciated!!!! Also, any info. about game wardens would be helpful too! (I'm looking into that). Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 12:37 AM

476 posts, read 2,313,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amichele6 View Post
We are looking at moving to the Durango area in Dec./Jan. We both are graduating college in Dec. so we don't have much money saved for a nice house. I know the housing is pretty pricey but we like the area and really would like to move there. Any info. about Durango and housing/rentals would be MUCH appreciated!!!! Also, any info. about game wardens would be helpful too! (I'm looking into that). Thanks so much!!
Hi, I will try to help with what I know. Yes, housing in Durango is high but you can look around and find bargains. If you dont mind living outside the city limits, you can find much less pricey homes. Up on Florida Mesa, out toward Ticolote, out by Bayfield, out by Lake Navajo, toward Farmington and out by Red Mesa are all areas that are cheaper places to live. Toward Farmington after you come off the mesa will be more desert but much, much cheaper. There are many apartments so you shouldnt have any problems with that and suggest you rent first so you can look around for several months to get a good bargain. Just coming there and trying to find a home means jumping in and that can cost. Durango Herald online is good for classified ads for apartments or even owners selling their homes which can be cheaper cause no realtor fees. Many apartments dont allow pets and that can be an issue I hear the most but if you look, you will find one that does.

Game wardens, I dont know much about but I do know I see game wardens there. There is also Humans Society wardens, Fish wardens and Wildlife wardens there but I dont know alot about it. Maybe talk with a regional Dept of Wildlife Manager for info? Durango and Cortez would have them. About Durango, it is a great city with alot to offer and the surrounding wilderness is fantastic. I personally have even seen a moose a few years back in summer while I camped out! A beaver waddled on the highway the other day and waddled off. My friend saw a lynx a while back. I saw a bear rummaging a trash can late last summer. So animals abound in the region for sure! Oh I forgot I saw a family of raccoons last summer at my friends house trying to get a neighbors hummingbird feeder to lick the sugar water out of it!

Old 02-20-2007, 10:08 PM

157 posts, read 649,981 times
Hey amichele6

Rentals in Dgo: ILUVNM is right - the Durango Herald (durangoherald.com) is probably where its all at. Individual landlords and property management companies all seem to advertise there - its the best single way to find a rental, I think. You might also try craigslist (craigslist.org) I've seen some Dgo homes there occassionally (in the Western Slope section probably). durangorentals.com is the only property company website I know of (there are likely more I haven't found). Also, there are lots of condos being built around the area right now - there will be a lot more available next Dec/Jan than there are now - prices may come down, too. Just keep an eye on the Herald or call some of the property companies you find advertised in the paper for more details and ideas.

Game Warden: I've got some ideas here, but what types of work would you like to do - Forrest Service/BLM general or specific types of jobs?

ILUVNM: nice post, again! A MOOSE! I saw a moose on the upper Colorado Trail a few years back. I have friends who still think I'm crazy - they kid me and swear that I just can't tell the difference between a cow and a moose . I'm really glad to hear that someone else has seen one of the rare Durango-area Mooses!

Old 02-20-2007, 10:59 PM

476 posts, read 2,313,194 times
Thanks Dgoboy, I appreciate the nice post! Yes, moose are on the loose in Durango! They do have them so you arent crazy. My friend, her ex boyfriend saw one years ago while fishing out on some nearby lake. She didnt remember which lake but thought maybe Lemon? She is not sure though. Somehow they seem to like the Durango area for some reason. Maybe moose are liberal? Kidding!

Old 02-21-2007, 12:25 AM

22 posts, read 85,499 times
Ok sounds good. Right now I'm not exactly sure what area with the game warden job...I'm a criminal justice major so I haven't had a LOT of science (I've read in some places you need a good background of Biology). Anyway, right now it's just general until I found out more information about it.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:46 PM

Hi amichele6,

The local BLM and Forrest Service offices and websites might be some help (you probably already thought of that, huh). Also, I have a friend who works for the Southern Ute Tribe (located about 30 mins. from Dgo in Ignacio). He is a wildlife officer and qualifies as a peace officer for the tribe as well. He is not a member of the tribe and like you, I think his background may be more criminal justice-related. Also, the Ute Mountain Ute tribe is located near Cortez 45 mins west of Dgo and there are Navajo Nation tribal lands in NW New Mexico about one hour to the south of Dgo. Just some ideas of where you might find a cool job around Durango ... Good Luck

Old 02-22-2007, 02:32 PM

Hey amichele6, here's one more Durango rental source >> durangorealestaterentals.com. Best wishes

ILUVNM: The mooses are liberals!! HaHaHaHaHaHa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I laughed so hard when I just read that!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado