U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:48 AM

7,839 posts, read 9,299,789 times
Dang Cubans turned Florida blue too!

Old 11-05-2008, 12:17 PM

2,861 posts, read 4,409,704 times
Maybe, just maybe, the people of this country finally decided they've had enough of the right wing, religious right and decided it was really time for a change! Obama did a great job of empowering people, and making them realize that we ALL have a voice, regardless of our wealth, color of our skin, age, or where we're from. It's finally time Coloradans realized that the republican's were screwing them from the start. I'm proud that my home state "turned" blue, and I know it was through the power of democracy, and not Californians, that made that happen. If that were the case, the number of people moving to the Western Slope from the south should have kept Colorado red!

Old 11-05-2008, 12:21 PM

9,981 posts, read 11,288,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Sarah Palin and "Joe the Plumber" was the best the GOP could bring?

They deserved to lose this election on those 2 cards alone.

Ain't no secret that lefties from the East & West coasts have been flocking to Colorado for years...

My guy lost, let's give 'The Messiah' a chance and see what he's really all about, eh? Time to tighten my belt, pull up the bootstraps, and hide my guns...gonna be an interesting ride!
They let you have guns in Boulder County?

Somehow I doubt "Take away conservatives' guns" is on Obamas checklist of things to do.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:23 PM

723 posts, read 1,647,104 times
Change = You give me a $20 and I'll give you $10 back-heh, heh!
Very disappointing to see amendments like 47 and 49 fail. It appears most voted based upon the idiotic ads they saw on T.V. Pathetic.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:23 PM

9,981 posts, read 11,288,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
LOL! That's why the yuppies call it "Boulder Republic". However no need for all the spent emotions Ryan, besides some tax increases, I don't think the next 4 years will be much of a change than the past 4. But there certainly is a valid point about transiency changing the politics of Colorado (not just Californians) and part of the reason is we Coloradans are at fault as well - we were TOO LAID BACK and just sat around and watched it all happen.

I'd go with Montana, it'd be the closest state what Colorado was 20-40 yrs back.
What would you have done? Shoot cars w/California license plates at the CO border?

Old 11-05-2008, 12:31 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,769,268 times
I'd beg to differ with the OP.

Idaho got inundated with Californians, too, and that was still a red state this election. Most Californians who leave Cali are usually doing it because of a conservative understanding of how Cali's excessive regulations and taxes aren't solving their problems, but just creating more problems.

As a recent transplant myself who grew up making many transplant friends in my native state, this whole 'natives hating transplants' thing really strikes me as silly. In both Idaho and Colorado, the excessive development in urban areas was a result of local greedy agendas, not the people who happened to relocate. Truly, it was a Field of Dreams "if you build it, they will come" sort of effort. And because Cali is over-regulated and over-taxed for a lot of peoples' tastes, people did come.

When those of us who liked the quaintness of our townships tried to protest the excessive development, our councilors and legislators gave in to bribes. A lot of the efforts to stop development were complete no-shows anyway, because people are too busy whining about scapegoats to bother standing up against the real enemies. People have a right to relocate in this country, but they don't have a right to develop wherever they please. Fight the problem that can be mitigated and stop complaining about its results at the expense of legit transplants.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:42 PM

26,365 posts, read 51,646,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
Most Californians who leave Cali are usually doing it because of a conservative understanding of how Cali's excessive regulations and taxes aren't solving their problems, but just creating more problems.
I'd say this might be true (I have no idea actually) for businesses but I'm not so sure it is true for families. From my reading of numerous city-data posts, new articles, and demographic data reports I'd say most families leave California due to high cost of living (housing), challenging school systems, and traffic.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:49 PM

7,914 posts, read 12,412,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Sarah Palin and "Joe the Plumber" was the best the GOP could bring?
Down here in Pueblo, I heard on the radio driving in,
Quote:
Who needs him? We got Jose the Plumber.
That's a whole nuther can of worms I won't open up. See, in Pueblo, Jose's family has been around for many generations. And he's probably licensed. I sure wish the Convention Center expansion would have passed. Stuff like that is gonna drive business away. From last I checked, we don't have an over-abundance of jobs here now.

Plumber joke btw: Plumber gives the bill to the Doctor and the doc says, "What! How could that be? I'm a doctor and I don't make near that much money!" Plumber says, "Neither did I when I was a doc."

Old 11-05-2008, 12:50 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,769,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Maybe you're right, I mean, I HATED Bush. He was an idiot.
And very much the sentiment all over. I'm a fiscal conservative and I voted for Obama. Bush and the neoconservative factions that Rove bet on (it worked, but now even they're mad that Bush didn't go far enough on their agendas [and thank goodness!]) have really smeared everything that moderate fiscal conservatives respected about the Republican Party. If McCain hadn't grabbed a hold of the fear 'n' smear platform and associated himself with Bush, I'd've voted for him. He should've just stuck to his bipartisan sensibility and devil-may-care genuineness, which sadly isn't popular, so I see what he was doing. I know he had to appeal to the lowest common denominator, but with Palin at his side it was too much for me to have faith that he was the good ol' McCain I admired for sensibility and bipartisanship during Bush's first term.

A lot of sensible, hard-working folk like us are scared of Obama's tax plan and proposed income redistribution, and I personally disagree with those sort of policies. Nonetheless, Bush didn't do much to help the middle class crunch with the tax cuts and his policies have ultimately resulted in a sort of pyramid scheme that has pushed the middle class down. Bush was a President for the wealthy and right-wing fundamentalist, and everyone else just had to grin and bear it. We need Obama to swing the pendulum the other way. I'm eager to see my tax money allocated to more real domestic causes. And who knows? Maybe Obama will turn income redistribution into an investment in human potential instead of a pittance for human laziness. I'll be very impressed with that sort of bipartisan balance and fiscal prudence.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:53 PM

47,930 posts, read 43,389,049 times
1st time am proud to be a citizen of this state that i can remember.
good job california. i can forgive bad manners and loud clothes and bad driving.
but not the death of 1/4 million in bagdad and 10 trillion in debt.
sorry i cant go for that no no (hall n oats sing it)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado