U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 11-05-2008, 12:54 PM
 
2,723 posts, read 4,582,252 times
Reputation: 1312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
You liberal fools moved in and turned this state blue, and it went to Obama because of you.

And you wonder why native Coloradans hate people from California.

I'm not a liberal and I didn't vote for Obama, but why should we care what Coloradans think?

California is primarily a blue state and that's nothing new. I don't have to agree with it, but I do accept that California has people of many different beliefs and opinions.

 
Old 11-05-2008, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
1,067 posts, read 1,818,155 times
Reputation: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I'd say this might be true (I have no idea actually) for businesses but I'm not so sure it is true for families. From my reading of numerous city-data posts, new articles, and demographic data reports I'd say most families leave California due to high cost of living (housing), challenging school systems, and traffic.
Really, you're quite right, too. This is a major concern for a lot of Californians. Those who come to Idaho tend to choose it over other Inland West states due to its conservatism and libertarianism, but in Colorado it probably was an attempt to escape development. Rather ironic that they'd feed the very economic forces whose latent results they're attempting to escape. When my sis lived in Ft. Collins, I used to hate that stretch of I-25 from Colorado Springs to Ft. Collins. I wouldn't go to Denver metro if I wanted to escape over-development. That's for sure.

Ultimately, I'd venture to say that the problems you mention are other major problems in Cali that are easily linked to the over-development. Over-development and just general birth rates in demographics that can't support them certainly qualify as the proverbial thorns in American society's side. Until we figure out a way to control those scourges yet still maintain the paramount liberties for which this nation was founded, we're going to see a lot of downward spirals, if you will. The solutions will require not only a difficult ideological balancing act, but a mass acceptance of personal responsibility.

The question is this. Can we save capitalism and liberty with personal and social responsibility on a unanimous level, or will they fall as communism, by excessive faith in a greedy top and non-reciprocal bottom? (speaking in socioeconomic extremes in this context, of course.) Along with many of my moderate kind I wait, guarded yet optimistic, to see what myriad of fixes Obama proposes.
 
Old 11-05-2008, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,459 posts, read 10,873,883 times
Reputation: 8262
Default It's probably becasue of me!

I realized that every state I've lived in for more than a year ( Pennsylvania, Washington, California, Virginia, & Colorado ) voted for the Blue Team yesterday. I'm a registered INDEPENDENT who has voted blue & red in the past. I voted for the Blue Team this time around. I'm thrilled with the outcome....so far!
 
Old 11-05-2008, 01:28 PM
 
5 posts, read 6,901 times
Reputation: 10
I have to agree with Ryan on this one. I don't know why Californians feel the need to move everywhere and force their ideas upon other states. Fact is Californians are what turned Colorado blue. It's certainly a shame.
 
Old 11-05-2008, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
1,067 posts, read 1,818,155 times
Reputation: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
I realized that every state I've lived in for more than a year ( Pennsylvania, Washington, California, Virginia, & Colorado ) voted for the Blue Team yesterday. I'm a registered INDEPENDENT who has voted blue & red in the past. I voted for the Blue Team this time around. I'm thrilled with the outcome....so far!
Nice... well put as usual (thanx for the "Formerly..." in your descriptor so I could recognize). Couldn't agree with the sentiment more. In this case, I voted blue nationally and red locally. I'll probably vote red nationally in two years if my usual tendencies keep up. I like to see the Executive branch get full support from Congress during the honeymoon, then temperance if they go too far with that. Apparently with both Clinton and Bush, the nation exhibited that same tendency (helps me keep some faith in the masses). If Obama impresses me, though, I'd like to give him a full term of minimal partisan opposition from Congress. If he starts feeding non-reciprocal entitlement, it'll be red time.
 
Old 11-05-2008, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
1,067 posts, read 1,818,155 times
Reputation: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh177 View Post
I have to agree with Ryan on this one. I don't know why Californians feel the need to move everywhere and force their ideas upon other states. Fact is Californians are what turned Colorado blue. It's certainly a shame.
When certain individual Californians exhibit that tendency, then I agree with you. Their whining, PC cr*p, condescention, and entitlement isn't welcome! Natives stay in their state, often with a great deal of effort, because they love it just the way it is. Anyone who wants to change a state as a newcomer needs to take that into consideration before they get all self-righteous and condescending. But one must remember we all are individuals. You can't go hating anyone who moves into your state just due to tendencies at the polls or a few self-righteous buffoons who make a bad name for their "kind". If that were the case, then most of the world would have the right to hate tourists from the U.S.

I appreciate that I'm welcome in other places despite the leaders and stereotypes that represent me, and I don't appreciate culture in places where I'm not welcome for those reasons. I think most people would follow the Golden Rule on that one if they thought about it outside the ego-centric box.
 
Old 11-05-2008, 01:35 PM
 
8 posts, read 10,936 times
Reputation: 13
Default Californian

Well I'm a Californian- did not vote for Obama- nor would I ever vote for anyone who will not even Honor the flag of USA !
 
Old 11-05-2008, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,459 posts, read 10,873,883 times
Reputation: 8262
Default Joe, the SELF MADE man!

Joe gets up at 6 a.m. and fills his coffeepot with water to prepare his morning coffee. The water is clean and good because some tree-hugging liberal fought for minimum water-quality standards. With his first swallow of coffee, he takes his daily medication. His medications are safe to take because some stupid commie liberal fought to insure their safety and that they work as advertised.

All but $10 of Joe's medications are paid for by his employer's medical plan because some liberal union workers fought their employers for paid medical insurance - now Joe gets it too. He prepares his morning breakfast, bacon and eggs. Joe's bacon is safe to eat because some girly-man liberal fought for laws to regulate the meat packing industry.

In the morning shower, Joe reaches for his shampoo. His bottle is properly labeled with each ingredient and its amount in the total contents because some crybaby liberal fought for his right to know what he was putting on his body and how much it contained.

Joe dresses, walks outside and takes a deep breath. The air he breathes is clean because some environmentalist wacko liberal fought for laws to stop industries from polluting our air. He walks to the subway station for his government-subsidized ride to work. It saves him considerable money in parking and transportation fees because some fancy-pants liberal fought for affordable public transportation, which gives everyone the opportunity to be a contributor.

Joe begins his work day. He has a good job with excellent pay, medical benefits, retirement, paid holidays and vacation because some lazy liberal union members fought and died for these working standards. Joe's employer pays these standards because Joe's employer doesn't want his employees to call the union.

If Joe is hurt on the job or becomes unemployed, he'll get a worker compensation or unemployment check because some stupid liberal didn't think he should lose his home because of his temporary misfortune.
Its noontime and Joe needs to make a bank deposit so he can pay some bills. Joe's deposit is federally insured by the FSLIC (Federal Savings & Loan Insurance Co) because some godless liberal wanted to protect Joe's money from unscrupulous bankers who ruined the banking system before the Great Depression.

Joe has to pay his below-market federal student loan because some elitist liberal decided that Joe and the government would be better off if he was educated and earned more money over his lifetime.

After work this evening, Joe plans to visit his father at this farm home in the country. He gets in his car for the drive. His car is among the safest in the world because some America-hating liberal fought for car safety standards. He arrives at his boyhood home. His was the third generation to live in the house financed by Farmers' Home Administration because bankers didn't want to make rural loans. The house didn't have electricity until some big-government liberal stuck his nose where it didn't belong and demanded rural electrification.

Joe is happy to see his father, who is now retired and lives on Social Security and a union pension because some wine-drinking, cheese-eating liberal made sure he could take care of himself so Joe wouldn't have to.

Joe gets back in his car for the ride home, and turns on a radio talk show. The radio host keeps saying that liberals are bad and conservatives are good. He doesn't mention that the beloved Republicans have fought against every protection and benefit Joe enjoys throughout his day.

Joe agrees: "We don't need those big-government liberals ruining our lives! After all, I'm a self-made man who believes everyone should take care of themselves, just like I have."
 
Old 11-05-2008, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
1,067 posts, read 1,818,155 times
Reputation: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Joe gets up at 6 a.m. and fills his coffeepot with water to prepare his morning coffee. The water is clean and good because some tree-hugging liberal fought for minimum water-quality standards. With his first swallow of coffee, he takes his daily medication. His medications are safe to take because some stupid commie liberal fought to insure their safety and that they work as advertised.

All but $10 of Joe's medications are paid for by his employer's medical plan because some liberal union workers fought their employers for paid medical insurance - now Joe gets it too. He prepares his morning breakfast, bacon and eggs. Joe's bacon is safe to eat because some girly-man liberal fought for laws to regulate the meat packing industry.

In the morning shower, Joe reaches for his shampoo. His bottle is properly labeled with each ingredient and its amount in the total contents because some crybaby liberal fought for his right to know what he was putting on his body and how much it contained.

Joe dresses, walks outside and takes a deep breath. The air he breathes is clean because some environmentalist wacko liberal fought for laws to stop industries from polluting our air. He walks to the subway station for his government-subsidized ride to work. It saves him considerable money in parking and transportation fees because some fancy-pants liberal fought for affordable public transportation, which gives everyone the opportunity to be a contributor.

Joe begins his work day. He has a good job with excellent pay, medical benefits, retirement, paid holidays and vacation because some lazy liberal union members fought and died for these working standards. Joe's employer pays these standards because Joe's employer doesn't want his employees to call the union.

If Joe is hurt on the job or becomes unemployed, he'll get a worker compensation or unemployment check because some stupid liberal didn't think he should lose his home because of his temporary misfortune.
Its noontime and Joe needs to make a bank deposit so he can pay some bills. Joe's deposit is federally insured by the FSLIC (Federal Savings & Loan Insurance Co) because some godless liberal wanted to protect Joe's money from unscrupulous bankers who ruined the banking system before the Great Depression.

Joe has to pay his below-market federal student loan because some elitist liberal decided that Joe and the government would be better off if he was educated and earned more money over his lifetime.

After work this evening, Joe plans to visit his father at this farm home in the country. He gets in his car for the drive. His car is among the safest in the world because some America-hating liberal fought for car safety standards. He arrives at his boyhood home. His was the third generation to live in the house financed by Farmers' Home Administration because bankers didn't want to make rural loans. The house didn't have electricity until some big-government liberal stuck his nose where it didn't belong and demanded rural electrification.

Joe is happy to see his father, who is now retired and lives on Social Security and a union pension because some wine-drinking, cheese-eating liberal made sure he could take care of himself so Joe wouldn't have to.

Joe gets back in his car for the ride home, and turns on a radio talk show. The radio host keeps saying that liberals are bad and conservatives are good. He doesn't mention that the beloved Republicans have fought against every protection and benefit Joe enjoys throughout his day.

Joe agrees: "We don't need those big-government liberals ruining our lives! After all, I'm a self-made man who believes everyone should take care of themselves, just like I have."
Awesome... and I'm more of a libertarian conservative if I had to take a label. That sort of balance is exactly why I'm a libertarian conservative against anything remotely associated with Bush and for the possible redemption Obama represents and hopefully actualizes. Obama's ideas deserve a chance, even those with which I disagree, because Republicans have sold out on the safety and sustainability of the middle class.
 
Old 11-05-2008, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
1,067 posts, read 1,818,155 times
Reputation: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams9 View Post
Well I'm a Californian- did not vote for Obama- nor would I ever vote for anyone who will not even Honor the flag of USA !
Bush denied wounded veterans benefits they were promised and turned out to need. I think my vicarious interpretation of someone else's patriotism sees a lot more true colors in that than when a man doesn't wear a certain lapel pin. Seriously, I've heard a few critiques of Obama that were well thought out, some I agree with and others I don't. Still, I've heard a whole lot of knee-jerk reactionary bashing via unfounded notions that would be amusing if they didn't build up such a populous following. It really is disturbing the amount of people who vote based on their silly interpretations of inapplicable events and what narrow, biased pundits have fed them. Truly, if there was actual objective evidence that Obama is against the U.S., many voters including myself would jump right on your bandwagon. There's just a lot more objective evidence that Republicans are selling us out and being hypocritical the whole way. Do the nation you love a favor and watch less Fox News.

Sorry for being so harsh, as I'm sure you're speaking with a genuine concern and have perhaps sacrificed to your country to feel that passion for the flag. My problem is this. Moderate conservatives are getting sick of this b.s. that has turned the Republican Party into a bunch of callous sell outs in office and smear campaigners outside. Both Republicans and Democrats have done profound, benevolent things for this country in our history, and I'm tired of radicals on both sides making the ideals of this democratic republic out to be petty pet issue nonsense at the expense of our economics, domestic maintenance, and international reputation.

Last edited by stingraynm; 11-05-2008 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: Realized I was being harsh, and while it had to be said, wanted to explain where I'm coming from with my aggravation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top