U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 09:07 AM

641 posts, read 1,955,632 times

Advertisements

Angela,

It's something that you have to request. I had my home tested as part of the pre-home-buying inspection. It's an extra fee.....can't recall how much. When the home inspector came out to do the inspection, I told him I wanted the radon test also. He did everything.

In my case, he set up a small electronic tester in a basement room and let it sit 3-4 days. At the end of the test, he had a "readout" that showed the radon levels at the different times of the day and there's a criteria for whats considered high or harmless. Testing is no big deal.

Paying for the mitigation system can run $1000 and up..... a bigger deal.

Some homes have it and some don't. The gas seaps up from the ground so some areas may have it more than others. The construction of the home also has a lot to do with it.

It can come up all over the home, whether it has a basement or not, but a basement is a natural place to do the testing because most are built in the ground.

Some folks blow it off and don't consider it when buying a home, some do.

Either way, even if levels are relatively low, the effects are cumulative....so breathing in low levels while living in your home for 20yrs could be potentially harmful.

There's a ton of info about radon on the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 10:44 AM

641 posts, read 1,955,632 times
http://www.epa.gov/radon/pubs/citguide.html

Old 02-09-2009, 11:51 AM

2,437 posts, read 7,111,241 times
Pretty much every house around the mtns. here will come up needing radon mitigation (unless it already has it) upon inspection. As you can see, opinions will vary as to whether you really need to do anything about it, but since I work in my basement 40+ hours a week, I decided it's better to be safe than sorry, so I had it done a month or two ago, after owning the house for over a year.

We used Johnson Radon Control (in COS) and they did the whole deal for just over $900. Also, you might want to know, that the finished job will leave you with an extra pipe running up the side of your house with a built in fan-unit that runs 24/7 and takes up about as much power as a 60-watt bulb all the time. Not a big problem, but good to know. If you're still not sure what you'll be getting just let me know and I'll tell you more and even send a picture of my unit (my RADON FAN unit, that is) if you like.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:54 AM

53 posts, read 179,138 times
Thank you all for the info, I will have it checked for sure. Also does it have to be rechecked every so often? Or it is just better to get a Randon Control System. I will research more about it on the internet thank you.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:55 AM

2,437 posts, read 7,111,241 times
My understanding is -- once you have a mitigation fan, you're set for life, or at least until the fan konks out.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:28 AM

565 posts, read 1,616,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaluzia View Post
Thank you all for the info, I will have it checked for sure. Also does it have to be rechecked every so often? Or it is just better to get a Randon Control System. I will research more about it on the internet thank you.
The gas comes from whatever type of rock/fill you have beneath your home. Unless your foundation is dug out and different backfill is put in any subsequent checks are not needed. The only other factor might be changes in the insulation of the home making it more air-tight could cause the level to go up as less gas is able to escape the home naturally.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:12 PM

64 posts, read 265,117 times
Default Pueblo west and Radon

We just moved to Pueblo West from Missouri, we always lived out in the country and this was the best we could afford without going back to Missouri
Now I hear about radon. We bought a nice crawlspace house that stays nice and dry rain or shine. Missouri they were always wet and standing water.
Is this radon something we need to check into, how many house around here have this? Is a crawlspace worse than a basement house. How many of you have discovered radon in your house and what did you do about it?

Old 06-24-2009, 08:41 PM

20,312 posts, read 37,815,914 times
Most everything you'll need to know is in this existing radon thread. Add any additional questions to that thread.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:16 AM

10,679 posts, read 28,509,039 times
Have a radon test.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:42 AM

11,715 posts, read 35,030,321 times
Aren't radon tests and mitigation required before selling a house? Did you get report on that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado