U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 03:26 PM

68 posts, read 187,514 times
Default most snowed on towns in colorado?

Which towns get the most snow? Or what region?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 03:34 PM

7,925 posts, read 15,136,410 times
For the hundredth time, people can go to Weatherbase and research just about any location in the country. I don't know why the Moderator doesn't make that a "sticky"--people ask similar climate questions constantly.

The short answer is--the mountain areas get the snow, the lower elevation areas (where most Coloradans live) generally do not get that much. Many areas of Colorado get less snow than most locations in the Midwest and East. In winter, outside of the mountain areas, the predominant color is BROWN. Most lower elevation areas do not have snow on the ground for any real appreciable time in most winters--another thing those folks at the Chamber of Commerce won't tell you. Even some areas along the Front Range (Denver, etc.) that get seemingly moderate snow totals for the season (40-60") do not have snow on the ground that often--it usually snows and then melts completely off within a few days.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:53 PM

356 posts, read 947,425 times
dont mind jazz he has sand in his v****a ^^^

towns that are above 9000ft+ in elevation will be the most snow......southwest colorado gets hammered

Old 11-20-2008, 09:27 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,802,370 times
Jazzlover, I also like the sites that talk about climate, not weather. That gives you better overall data longterm. As far as "snowed in" I would nominate Silverton because if the roads close, you are truly snowed in.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:37 PM

9,694 posts, read 11,698,552 times
I think wolf creek pass gets close to 600 inches in a normal year. That's the highest i know of.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:53 PM

13,007 posts, read 11,626,114 times
Esya and wanneroo are both right. Silverton got up to nine feet of snow stacked up there by the end of last February. Wolf Creek Pass peaked at 168 inches, or thereabouts. YIKES!!

Old 11-21-2008, 05:18 PM

535 posts, read 946,955 times
Yea the area around wolf creek pass, georgetown has the potential to get smothered with snow as well. Not sure about which specific mountain range is snowiest. maybe the skeleton range WooOOoo OooOoOO og

Old 11-21-2008, 05:44 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,945,822 times
What about Leadville? I always think of that town as being buried in snow in the winter.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:08 PM

7,925 posts, read 15,136,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoRuMRideR420 View Post
dont mind jazz he has sand in his v****a ^^^

towns that are above 9000ft+ in elevation will be the most snow......southwest colorado gets hammered
I don't have one to get sand in, so there.

As to southwest Colorado, I've probably spent more time there than you have (say, 30 yrs. plus knocking around that region very regularly). Southwest Colorado does get a lot of snow in the higher elevation on average. If one looks at the long-term records, though, one finds the annual snowfall to be extremely variable from year-to-year--often varying by 50% or more. So, one winter may see a place like Silverton get a couple hundred inches of snow or more, the next only 50 or 60.

Once again, though, not that many people as a percentage of Colorado population live in those high snowfall areas--and the way Colorado's BS recreation/ski economy is about to get its *** handed to it, I suspect pretty soon there will be considerably fewer.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:32 PM

535 posts, read 946,955 times
Yes, the southern rockies are subject more than other regions to variations in many different areas, since it doesn't really have the regulatory effect of the pacific ocean that the Northern reaches of the rockies get, or the arctic air masses that the yukon and BC and AB rockies get. El Nino and La Nina have large effects on this part of the rockies, and the conditions that usually lead to big snowfall numbers as a result in these areas vary greatly from year to year and condition to condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado