Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 01:57 PM

189 posts, read 710,847 times

Advertisements

You need to find a way to travel back in time cause you're about 28+ years too late to find peace and affordability out here -- unless you backpack to the wilderness, and even then, you probably won't be alone. The typical tourist places are not what they were in the 70's. My destination from '70 to '76 was Durango, but now, except for the Bar-D Chuckwagon Suppers, I can't stand the place -- wall-to-wall yuppies, hippies, and traffic. If I were still working back in the Midwest and wanted to vacation out here, assuming I knew what I know now, I think I'd go to Alaska or Maine, seriously. Probably Maine cause then I could go to L. L. Bean and have a ball buying their stuff -- in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 07:36 PM

18,212 posts, read 25,846,208 times
I like the Salida-Buena Vista area! It is a bit touristy, for sure, but it is in the middle of the state and in the middle of some dynamite fishing spots! The Arkansas River is the top trout fishing river in the state, and Twin Lakes and Turqoise Lake are great areas as well.

If your just into picture taking, you can't beat the sweeping views of the Sangre De Cristo Range coming west from U.S. 50 from Coaldale, and the Collegiate Range (Yale, Harvard). The two highest peaks in the state are another 20 miles up from the Collegiates, Mt. Massive and Mt. Elbert.

If mining history is your thing, there is not a better place to pick than Leadville, the highest incorporated city in the U.S. There is a lot of old history there and a lot of buildings to see. Pull up their site, some good info there.

Rafting? You have the Arkansas, no need to go any further if you have rafted through there.

All of these areas are just a half hours drive from the Buena Vista-Salida area. The "Angel Of Shavano" is a pretty camping area; an old ghost town, St. Elmo is NW of Salida. There are close to 20 mom and pop motels and restaurants in the towns. I prefer visiting in May as the tourist season doesn't kick in to high gear just yet.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:48 PM

18,212 posts, read 25,846,208 times
Jazzlover offers a couple good suggestions. The Conejos canyon outside of Antonito is ONE PRETTY AREA! And if you are there, the Cumbres Toltec train ride to Chama is a MUST! Sadly, it doesn't have the rep that the Durango-Silverton train gets but it is every bit as beautiful.

And if you are into fishing, like me, Gunnison works. Blue Mesa Reservoir is the top fishing spot in the state, IMO, which is west of Gunnison. Yea, it gets cool at night (downright cold), but in May I could stay there all month. Lots of 4 wheeling north of there, Monarch Pass east of there, and the Gunnison folks are as friendly as anyone you would want to meet. A nice little getaway is take the old Cochetopa Pass road, that goes to Saguache, and turn off some old forest service roads. You want seclusion? Yep!

Old 02-17-2009, 06:41 PM

8 posts, read 30,512 times
Ridgway is the p[lace to spend the summer!

Old 05-05-2009, 06:05 AM

91 posts, read 245,282 times
you don't want to move to Buena Vista.....It is beautiful.....great outdoor recreation...but nothing is going on....certainly not a good place for singles....just my opinion and those of my friends who are single that live in BV...they are always complaining of the lack of prospects...you would be better off in Salida or cressted Butte

Old 05-05-2009, 06:51 AM

50 posts, read 137,672 times
Estes Park or Steam Boat Springs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado