Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 08:28 PM

71 posts, read 177,329 times

Advertisements

I've been reading threads in this forum for two days now, planning to make my move to CO and the recurring theme is that it is EXPENSIVE!

Other comments are don't come to CO if you don't already have a job etc..

Well our combined salary isn't too bad and we'd both bring our jobs to CO..

My wife telecommutes 100% and I work for the Federal Govt and can transfer to either of our two offices in Western CO (Durango and Grand Junction)..

Can we live comfortable on a $140K annual income in these towns?

We'd most likely want a house "out of town" in a rural setting, but it MUST HAVE high-speed internet for the wife's telecommuting, and not be too far for me to drive to the office in town everyday..

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 09:39 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,357,988 times
Grand Junction will be much more affordable than Durango, but does not fit many people's image of Colorado, as the city itself sits on the desert floor of the Colorado River valley. Though much of the area is irrigated, it is still arid and can get quite hot in summer. Anything decent close to Durango, especially with any acreage at all will run $300K-$350K+ even in today's crappy real estate market. Grand Junction area would be about 2/3's that. Figure your budget and "comfort" level accordingly. Things like food and fuel will cost more in either place than they will in Colorado's metro areas. Durango is basically a resort town with all of the social issues that comes with that. Grand Junction is basically a small city, with suburban areas not unlike many metro areas. A friend whose husband works in Grand Junction characterizes it as a place with many of the problems of a bigger city with none of the amenities. Best option is to visit yourself and draw your own conclusion.

High speed internet in the rural areas can be a problem. Many areas do not have cable internet or DSL, which leaves you with the relatively poor choice of satellite. Satellite tends to be expensive, somewhat unreliable and with slow upload speeds. People in rural areas of western Colorado that I know who use satellite internet are almost universally dissatisfied with the service.

Bringing one's job with them is about the only way many people can afford to live in western Colorado, but just know that staying here can be extremely difficult if, for whatever reason, that job disappears.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:56 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,350,175 times
The answer is yes. Instead of us telling you which is better, Grand Junction or Durango, I suggest you come out for a vacation and visit both cities then you can decide what city you like better.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:35 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,113,429 times
On $140K you could go a lot higher than $300K for a house.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:36 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,764,657 times
You need to visit first. Junction is desert and doesn't look anything like the Colorado post cards people see it gets hot in summer with winds and blowing dust. They do have high speed internet there. My neice and her busband make about what you do and live very comfortably in a new house in a new subdivision. Junction has a mall, and all the big city type stores. Don't know a thing about Durango. Good luck in your move.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:26 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,957,630 times
Wink By way of example

In short, the answer is: yes. One might qualify that however in asking what you seek in life?

Colorado offers many attractions, with an abundance of natural beauty one of the perks, but a low cost-of-living is not among them. No way as outrageous as some metro areas on the coasts, save a few exceptions like Aspen, but it IS expensive in comparison to other locals. So if one of your needs in life is the biggest possible house for the money, filled to the brim with toys, Colorado is not the place for you. Presumably your desires are somewhat different.

If both in western Colorado, Grand Junction and Durango otherwise share little in common. Both might be said to be largely defined by their geographic location, and that dissimilar. Both are near mountains but not in them, although Grand Junction feels further removed, with Durango more in a narrow valley of sorts, with views in every direction. If both do, Durango enjoys the readiest access to some superlative mountain country. Many surely do, myself among them, consider Durango the more desirable local, with this reflected in higher real estate prices. Also, the town itself is rather attractive, with many amenities.

In briefly checking, I discovered one 2,510 Sq Ft house, 4 beds, 2 baths, on 1 acre, for $206,250. It is located roughly 15 miles south of Durango, so presumably rural enough for your tastes. This might serve as an indication of what is possible.

Whether high-speed internet available at such an address is another question. Just off-hand, I have no idea. The reality of that may force you closer into town than you would otherwise prefer. However Durango serves as THE metro area of southwest Colorado, with a college in residence as well, so a good possibility of decent internet, in at least some locations. In looking at satellite internet before, my issue was the limited 1.5Mps download speed. It may or not be possible, but perhaps one could combine two or more together for decent service, although obviously a more expensive option. If you go far enough out in the sticks, it would be your only option.

In looking you may discover that you prefer the long valley north of Durango, which is rather lovely, only do not expect to find any real estate bargains there. Once upon a time it was different, but now Durango can be a very expensive place. Or, in any event, one might spend that kind of money. Just know that one might put a suitable roof over one's head on the budget you have, only not as extravagantly as in, say, Ft. Meyers, FL.

Perhaps now the question of what you truly seek from living in Colorado. A little time on the ground may further answer that.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:48 AM

Great info and answers. Very much appreciated. I am planning a June trip with the family, and plan to visit both as well as visit our offices in each town and try to get a feel for them.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:41 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,925,448 times
On $140K a year, you can can live quite comfortably in either Grand Junction or Durango. Having lived in Grand Junction for the past 4.5 years, it's a pretty decent place, but far from perfect. Someone mentioned the hot summers, but failed to mention the cold winters. The climate here is one of extremes. Within the past 12 months, the hottest temperature was 105 on July 19th, and the coldest temperature was -16 on December 10th. Winters and summers are long, and the more pleasant seasons of spring and fall, pass by in the blink of an eye. The extremes in Durango would be in a slightly tighter range, but not that much. If you like Red Rock Canyon country, you'd love the Grand Junction area. If you prefer a countryside more closely mimicing typical Rocky Mountains scenery, Durango would give you a slightly better match. Personally, If I had the financial wherewithal that you do, I'd prefer Durango over Grand Junction. As mentioned by other posters, the best thing you can do is to spend time in both locations and decide for yourself.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:46 PM

220 posts, read 774,383 times
What is drawing you to Colorado? Some background would help form better opinions. $140k with $4k per month in student loans, credit card payments, cars and alimony won't get you far, but $140k with no debt would. Please elaborate.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:33 PM

Wife's got a Nissan Altima with a $300/mo payment.. No other debts or bills outside of utilities..not even a credit card.. We're on the Dave Ramsey Plan...LOL

We're looking for somewhere quaint and memorable to retire. Somewhere that "feels like home"...if that makes any sense..

Central Texas is increasingly busy, especially living on the I35 corridor..

Central Texas (Waco specifically) is terrible if you have allergies, godawful hot and humid in the summer, there are no public areas, national parks or forests to atv or jeep in...

It's an OK place, and we are comfortable here, but we want to move somewhere we can LOVE!

Colorado and NW Arkansas seem to meet our desires as far as mountains (which we love) public land for hunting, offroading, four distinct seasons and rural living, (without being "too rural" as we were when we lived in Alpine, TX.)

When we lived in Alpine, we had to drive 170 miles (one way) to the nearest airport in Midland, the same for a decent grocery store, Walmart, Home Depot etc..

That was too-far off the beaten path..

And..like most of texas, almost all land in the state is privately owned, fenced, signed etc..

Last edited by Switchback; 11-18-2010 at 07:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado