U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2006, 02:28 PM

393 posts, read 1,712,890 times

Advertisements

Anyone move from WI to CO, or even from one of my neighboring states? Compare the winters for me would you? Seems like they get the same winters, but drier. The temps in the summer can get hot also.......and I see that Northern CO is getting there share this year. Do the winters last as long, and are they as bitter....? Curious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2006, 06:31 PM

1,088 posts, read 5,731,968 times
Never lived in the midwest so I can't compared from personal accounts but I have a lot of family from Chicago and from the stories I have heard Colorado has much milder winters.

The winters do last as long, you can expect snow anytime from September to May, but you can expect a lot of sunny, gorgeous days mixed in. It doesn't snow as much or as frequently, and the snow disappears quicker. It also isn't as cold. A quick check of averages (Denver vs Madison) on the weather channel shows Madison has much colder winters (10 to 15 degrees), and it snows more a lot more there.

I don't know if that helps or not, but I gave it a shot.

Old 06-13-2006, 02:48 AM

827 posts, read 4,541,267 times
Yes, xxman777 is right. I lived in Pittsburgh, PA in the winter and it was so cold that I couldn't get warm even sitting right by a fireplace! All that humidity and I think WI is about the same with humidity being near the lakes. Colorado is much drier and just feels better. I don't feel cold in Colorado. I have been outdoors doing all sorts of activities in Colorado and just never felt cold. If you go up above 10,000 feet to Silverton or Leadville, it will feel cold being so high up but honestly Denver, Colorado Springs, Durango, Grand Junction, Pueblo and Trinidad are pretty mild. Up near the Wyoming border it can get colder and for some reason Alamosa in the south is colder but honestly I'd pick any place in Colorado over any place back east to be in the winter. That is my opinion anyway.

Last edited by Crackerjack; 06-13-2006 at 03:32 AM..

Old 06-13-2006, 08:58 PM

119 posts, read 630,006 times
I'll toast to that Crackerjack! It is freakin freezin back east. Even when it's not snowing the weather back here is just miserable. All the dampness mixed with the frigid temps puts a chill in your bones. I actually look forward to days when it snows cuz it gets warmer on those days. And then when spring comes along....rain, rain, rain. No wonder it's so green over here. This past weekend was the first in the month of June that it didn't rain. Sometimes you jump from winter right into summer it seems. I think the east (esp. the northeast) gets a bad rap with having rude people. I think it's because everyone's so used to staying inside due to the weather that they forget how to socialize with people!! (i am exaggerating of course).

And what's the funniest thing of all is that when I tell people over here that we're moving out to Colorado, the response almost 9 out of 10 times is why do you want to move out there, isn't it cold???? People just assume that because it's mountainess that there's snow on the ground 24/7!

Last edited by Marka; 06-14-2006 at 01:58 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 06-14-2006, 12:18 AM

827 posts, read 4,541,267 times
I know what you mean Curious in CT. My friend in Wilton, CT asked me if I had to use snowshoes to walk in Colorado. I laughed at that one! Imagine walking in downtown Durango in snowshoes! They'd laugh at you big time! Also I LOVE that in Colorado they don't get those ice storms like they get back east. I hate ice storms. You can't control your car on it like in snow. Your snow tires grip the snow and it is easy to drive in it but ice, forget about it. I have never seen ice in Durango only some snow in the winter and since you are up in CT with Martha, that is a "good thing".

Old 06-14-2006, 05:58 PM

10,676 posts, read 28,491,129 times
It's 100 degrees here today. We have on average 55 inches of snow in the Denver Metro Area a season, and very low humidity. 350 days of sun each year. We have here today gone tomorrow snow here on the plains. If you move here bring sunscreen and drink water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or