U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 11:04 AM

6 posts, read 18,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robivi3 View Post
Howdy, sorry for the delay. We have not installed a septic system yet. Drilling I am told runs about 20 bucks per foot.

Here is some costilla info.

Utilities

Costilla County | Home Page - Welcome!

http://www.slvdweller.com/ (broken link)
My husband and I bought, sight unseen, 10 acres in the Trenchera Creek "subdivision". We live in Florida and finally saw the land summer of 08. We have all kinds of conflicting replys regarding being able to dig a well. Does anyone know if we can or what the restrictions are? Also what is it like living in the area near Blanca?

Sharyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 11:57 PM

15,629 posts, read 29,374,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude View Post
Hey Robivi3,

I have 3 years left in the Marine Corps. I will probably work at the Home Depot or for myself. I am bringing a back hoe. I am thinking about buying a bobcat and a well drilling rig. Have you installed a well or a septic system? I am looking for a contractor to get a quote and Im also trying to get the county engineers number. Nice to meet you.

Bill
Please check with the water authority before planning a well, etc. They have extremely stringent rules on water usage. You cannot use water for anything except household (baths, washing dishes, and clothes). No gardens, no livestock without special permits. Lots of water rules and regulations. We were going to buy something there, but our goal of self-sufficiency would not work with the water restrictions.

Best of luck. It's a beautiful area.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-21-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflysharyn View Post
My husband and I bought, sight unseen, 10 acres in the Trenchera Creek "subdivision". We live in Florida and finally saw the land summer of 08. We have all kinds of conflicting replys regarding being able to dig a well. Does anyone know if we can or what the restrictions are? Also what is it like living in the area near Blanca?

Sharyn
I believe it is the Rio Grande Water Authority in Alameda. I am not 100 percent sure of this. We were looking in Rio Grande Ranchos and also the Sangre de Cristos and Mustang (wild Horse???) Mesa. (I can't even remember the right name it has been so long ago) It seems that the county does not matter that the water authority is over everything. I am not certain it was a long time ago. But that is where I would start, to get the right information.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-21-2009, 09:50 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,186,386 times
Some of this I've posted multiple times (to the point that I get sick of posting the same stuff over and over, but here goes).

Well water: Well water permits are governed by the State Engineer's office. Here is their website:

Ground Water in Colorado

Get the information from them, not hearsay from people who may not even live in Colorado.

Go to Weatherbase and look up climate information for places in the San Luis Valley. Make note of the fact that the place has brutally cold winter temperatures AND is a high-altitude desert.

Then, understand the fact that there are literally tens of thousands of subdivided lots all through the San Luis Valley, but particularly in Costilla County. Ask yourself, "Why are probably less than 5% built upon, even though they may have been subdivided 40 years ago?"

Also, pick up on the fact that the Valley has a very distinct culture that people who may not be familiar with it find very difficult to understand or assimilate in to.

Oh, take note that jobs are also scarcer than hen's teeth.

The SLV can be a nice place IF one is willing to accept it on its terms. Bluntly, most outsiders are not really willing to do that--that is why, unlike much of the rest of Colorado, it has not grown a whole lot in population.

(Oh, and it's Alamosa, not "Alameda"--at least get the town names right.)

Old 12-21-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Some of this I've posted multiple times (to the point that I get sick of posting the same stuff over and over, but here goes).

Well water: Well water permits are governed by the State Engineer's office. Here is their website:

Ground Water in Colorado

Get the information from them, not hearsay from people who may not even live in Colorado.

Go to Weatherbase and look up climate information for places in the San Luis Valley. Make note of the fact that the place has brutally cold winter temperatures AND is a high-altitude desert.

Then, understand the fact that there are literally tens of thousands of subdivided lots all through the San Luis Valley, but particularly in Costilla County. Ask yourself, "Why are probably less than 5% built upon, even though they may have been subdivided 40 years ago?"

Also, pick up on the fact that the Valley has a very distinct culture that people who may not be familiar with it find very difficult to understand or assimilate in to.

Oh, take note that jobs are also scarcer than hen's teeth.

The SLV can be a nice place IF one is willing to accept it on its terms. Bluntly, most outsiders are not really willing to do that--that is why, unlike much of the rest of Colorado, it has not grown a whole lot in population.

(Oh, and it's Alamosa, not "Alameda"--at least get the town names right.)
Sorry, like I said, it was many years ago that we were there. I admit to laziness when I *could* have looked it up maps.google.com and all that. So sue me

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-23-2011, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 3,098 times
hey chevydude. thanks for everything you all are doing for us over there. like you we bought acreage in ft garland(or right outside). my son has 22 years experience as a lisc contractor and aslso builds custom wine cellars ect. if you are bringing that equipment maybe we can work out a barter system. any ideas or information be glad to hear from you. again thanks for keeping us safe.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 5,737 times
So all you have to do is move your trailer around? That would change a few things for me! I just drove out to see the land and mapped it out( sage,pinons,cliffs,level,roads,ect..)so I knew what I was buying on Billyland. I live in Illinois and want to come home sooo badly..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado