Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2007, 12:11 PM

8 posts, read 20,797 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are very interested in moving to Colorado! I want to come there today and figure it all out, I can' t tell you how excited we are. I want to get much accomplished in our trip there in April! We are a young married couple. I have read so many posts on here about Colorado. But have some questions still! ("why choose colorado springs" awesome information!) We are just starting out and want to meet young couples, and friends, possibly other transplants, and have lots of great times especially before we have children. Since we are moving from Minnesota, we are going to be leaving a lot and don't want our impressions of colorado to be negative based on not being able to connect with others around our age! We have heard wonderful things about Colorado Springs and think in the future we might want to settle there. Is it a good suggestion for young-ins like us to live in at this stage in life too?

Also, I come from a military family and have nothing but respect, but I've heard that in Colorado Springs, there is a very heavy Air Force influence over the area. Is this negatively affecting anybody? Positively? Is it great enough to influence a decision to choose another city?

We'd love to be somewhere around or between Denver, and Colorado Springs. We want to be close to the mountains. We will be visiting: Woodland Park, Castel Rock, Cripple Creek, Black Forest, Canon City, and areas around them. Anybody have suggestions on MUST-SEEs while there?

What city/town has the best views? (if you had to pick!) We'd love any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 01:35 PM

37 posts, read 113,763 times
You have different choices..... Cripple Creek always struck me as a half-baked gambling town, and a definite mountain community. Mountain communities have their own feel and move to their own beat. Good or bad... it suites those who live there. Espec. the small ones, like Cripple Creek. Woodland Park is pretty, and small too. Canon City is where our prison is, and in the middle of the mountains. Lots of tourists go there for white water rafting. I think it is OK, but I wouldn't live there or raise my kids there. Black Forest (Do you mean Gunnison or Montrose?) is very cool to see. And people seem to love Montrose and Ouray. It is pretty there. (I love the Steamboat Springs area too.... but that is way north of where you will be)

I have taught in Castle Rock, and it has changed over the past few years. It has become part of Denver's urban sprawl. It is not really "close to the mountains" like Lakewood or Golden or Littleton would be. You are adding another 20-25 minutes drive time to skiing or the I-70 corrider. (which is your main path into the mountains.) But it is a nice community, and is closer to the Springs. You may want to check out Monument (half way between Colorado Springs and Castle Rock). I have known a few people who have really liked living there.

My husband and I moved here newly married, and if I had our first trip to do over again I would have checked out the LO DO scene more. That is Lower Downtown Denver.... fun night time vibe and safe too.

I would have gone to Evergreen to Little Bear for a beer and music. Great Colorado vibe there.

You will find that the mountain towns are at the end of their ski season, so little action will be found there. Vail is always pretty and there is a lot to see. Hiking anywhere in the mountains will still be a trick. You will have snowy trails. I don't know what industry you are in, or what kind of jobs you are looking for, but that will drive a lot of your decision making too.

I don't know much about the Springs. I have had friends who lived there as young adults who first Transplanted to Colorado Springs, and then moved to Denver within a year because that is where the action is. I have heard (via news primarily) that CS is heavy military, older because of the VA hospital, conservative christian and heavy republican. That is just what I have heard though.

Good luck.... but if I were you I wouldn't miss Evergreen and Denver. Boulder is breathtaking too.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-08-2007 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: Addition

Old 03-09-2007, 11:22 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,974,898 times
I think you need to decide what you want: lots of activities and single/young people or a quieter life with mostly families and kids.

Colorado Springs and its surrounding areas are great towns but they're a lot quieter and more family oriented overall than Denver area is (there are a few exceptions in the area like Manitou). But I will say you'll probably enjoy it more if you're looking for a quieter, more family-oriented environment.

In Denver area there's quite a dichotomy, with the younger set mostly preferring Denver proper or Boulder, and the families with the kids largely opting for the much quieter suburbs -- even among the suburbs some are a lot sleepier than others.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:41 AM

431 posts, read 2,793,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradomeddie View Post
You have different choices..... Cripple Creek always struck me as a half-baked gambling town, and a definite mountain community. Mountain communities have their own feel and move to their own beat. Good or bad... it suites those who live there. Espec. the small ones, like Cripple Creek. Woodland Park is pretty, and small too. Canon City is where our prison is, and in the middle of the mountains. Lots of tourists go there for white water rafting. I think it is OK, but I wouldn't live there or raise my kids there. Black Forest (Do you mean Gunnison or Montrose?) is very cool to see. And people seem to love Montrose and Ouray. It is pretty there. (I love the Steamboat Springs area too.... but that is way north of where you will be)

I have taught in Castle Rock, and it has changed over the past few years. It has become part of Denver's urban sprawl. It is not really "close to the mountains" like Lakewood or Golden or Littleton would be. You are adding another 20-25 minutes drive time to skiing or the I-70 corrider. (which is your main path into the mountains.) But it is a nice community, and is closer to the Springs. You may want to check out Monument (half way between Colorado Springs and Castle Rock). I have known a few people who have really liked living there.

My husband and I moved here newly married, and if I had our first trip to do over again I would have checked out the LO DO scene more. That is Lower Downtown Denver.... fun night time vibe and safe too.

I would have gone to Evergreen to Little Bear for a beer and music. Great Colorado vibe there.

You will find that the mountain towns are at the end of their ski season, so little action will be found there. Vail is always pretty and there is a lot to see. Hiking anywhere in the mountains will still be a trick. You will have snowy trails. I don't know what industry you are in, or what kind of jobs you are looking for, but that will drive a lot of your decision making too.

I don't know much about the Springs. I have had friends who lived there as young adults who first Transplanted to Colorado Springs, and then moved to Denver within a year because that is where the action is. I have heard (via news primarily) that CS is heavy military, older because of the VA hospital, conservative christian and heavy republican. That is just what I have heard though.

Good luck.... but if I were you I wouldn't miss Evergreen and Denver. Boulder is breathtaking too.
Curious, why would you not raise kids in Canon City? I think you are wrong but I just wonder why you would say that. And Black Forest is an area North of Colo. Springs. I believe your hear say is just that and not very accurate. Black Canyon is Gunnison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado