U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 01:48 AM

220 posts, read 700,972 times

Advertisements

Thanks for posting. Any thoughts on the Niwot area on either side of 119?

With regard to Longmont, the area you are describing- what streets represent the tough area?

As for Firestone, I will look into it now. Sounds like a great place to live as we are looking for a community feel with homes closer than 5 acres. Coming back out next week for more first-hand info and will advise.

2bindenver- We did check out Ken Caryl and thought it a beautiful place. A bit pricey, but beautiful. We didn't see the other areas and will visit on this trip. Thank you for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by concoulor3 View Post
Hey, I have two really good friends who felt it was better to live just east of I-25, they recevied a bigger house for the money. The area I am talking about is 15 minutes from Longmont, 30 minutes denver and 40 minutes to Ft. Clns. It's at the junction of I-25 and 119. Firestone. Their kids go to a Charter school, wear uniforms and I have been really impressed with the education thus-far. (Although it is difficult to get into a charter school) There is a quaint little old-town, new rec center, Starbucks, major grocery, etc.
I live in a neighborhood where each house is 5 acres from the next and really don't see much of them. But my friends, are very close friendly with the neighbors, lots of kids the same age, good faith community (if you choose), you would have to likely attend church in Longmont.

In fact I know their neighbors better then I do mine. They have Bunko nights, we trick or treat in thier neighborhood. Heck, we might even move their... Anyways, when I read this it just sounding like what you are looking for. Not many know of this community because it's newly developed and expanding quickly. But still under the radar for prices becuase everybody is looking at Erie.

Most the moms are stay at home or part-timers and most the Dad work either in Boulder, Longmont or Thornton area. But it is a super easy access point the the Hwy. Eventually, the light-rail should make it up there.

For the above entry - granted I have never visited the "gang task force" but I have apartments in Longmont in the heart of a very tough neighborhood, while it is tough - I walk around without any fear and have never expirenced what he's indicating. By the way - Evergreen has it's teen problems too (I have a rental property there too). It's nothing like I imagine NY would be. Greeley - I would agree it has gang problems (Again rental units). But I would hate for Longmont to get a bad rap. It's a really nice community with aspiring young families.

Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2006, 02:48 AM

171 posts, read 769,144 times
Default Bozeman, MT

Just curious why after your move to Bozeman, MT you're already looking at CO, what happend?

Old 09-28-2006, 11:40 PM

29 posts, read 151,420 times
Thanks elemental and 2bindenver! I am checking out housing prices on yahoo real estate based on your posts and you am finding some that at first glance look promising and extremely affordable (compared to CA housing prices they are heavenly affordable). You have given me some areas to research more seriously...YAY!

Old 09-29-2006, 02:09 PM

45 posts, read 317,472 times
I am not a realtor; however, I am a little uncomfortable "red-lining" any town, even though I break no Code of Ethics. Basically, in Longmont, there is a strip that runs East of the railroad tracks (Remember Mtns. are to the West ) But beyond that - towards I-25, development is huge and lots of upwardly mobile family neighborhoods, which then leads you directly East of I-25 to Firestone. I know this is vague, but I respect all who are well intentioned

I used to live one block East of the railroad tracks, in a one hundred year old home. And I felt very safe. This "tough" area, I had friends live in the apartment units and while they were not going to purchase in that neighborhood, they felt fine (and she was pregnant - I can't think of a more vunerable time in the womens life.)

I am actually getting a little bummed that so many people are labeling Longmont as a gang-town. Boulder has it's gangs too. If I were to move again in the Front Range, it would be to Longmont, and I am a Boulder Girl!

As I'm sure you know, Columbine and Bailey are well respected areas with affulent homes - that doesn't mean your children are safe.

We just have to remember how many children come home safe each night all over the country and hope that your life is full of random acts of kindness.

Be Well.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:58 AM

18 posts, read 86,880 times
I appreciate everyone chipping in the added info. Just happened back by and saw all the extra replies.

It's interesting how everyone's mileage will vary. One person's rough areas are another's "just fine, no problems."

Right now, I'm most interested in Louisville, Lafayette, Erie, Firestone. I'll have to sit in the $225-$250 price range and seem to be able to find what appear to be nice enough properties in each at that range. Broomfield is another possibility, but just thinking I'll experience even less crime the further out from town I get. I might be incorrect, but seems sensible.

Old 10-01-2006, 01:16 AM

18 posts, read 86,880 times
oh, another note regarding Phoenix... Yes, I agree the freeways here are incredible. When off the peak hours, they are so smooth it seems like the car drives itself (and wants to go forever). Problem is... I need more than a freeway in my life.

Someone before me mentioned Scottsdale... Yes, Scottsdale is great for people too busy showing off for each other to realize how hilarious they all look. Full of scam artists and nouveau riche (hicks with cash). Not to burst anyone's bubble, but fingering your laptop at Starbucks isn't "culture." A long time ago, I learned that much of Scottsdale is the dumping ground for NYC, where the Apple sends the folks that don't know how to do business ethically, and couldn't figure out the second fork is for salad and the "child sized" one is for shrimp. You should hear the lies they tell when they get here, the ones about how they are a bigshot in NYC (HA!), and the same lies the rest of them believe... so funny to watch (being partly from Hoboken and Little Neck - the good part, thank you).

Sorry... can you tell I'm burned out on Snottsdale?

Old 10-04-2006, 09:26 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,365,212 times
i have a question, how is the attitude toward native americans in colorado?

Old 10-04-2006, 10:39 AM

45 posts, read 317,472 times
Re: Native Americans, they are almost revered. Esp in Boulder - I'm not sure of the dialogue but there is something going on about sacred ground, along an ancient volcanic ridge (scientifically know as a **** - but that's a bad word), East of Boulder. Anyone know??? I know Denver also has a large native american population. Growing-up we always had auditorium presentations, etc.

Old 10-08-2006, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,298 times
Guess I am going to be a minority here! Have lived in Northern Colorado since 1947. Greeley to be precise. I can hardly wait to get out of the congestion and the hub bub, and its a lot better here than west of I-25. Of course I wouldn't want to live in Phoenix either. Cant believe some one would put up with a 60-120 minute commute but then again thats just me. When the wife retires it going to be a VERY rural and small town for us. Utah or Wyoming.

Old 10-09-2006, 12:58 AM

220 posts, read 700,972 times
Took the family back out for another 5 days and went back through each of the areas we liked, including Longmont. Just to see what was what, I visited the tough area of Longmont and it was no different than a tough area here in NY. Same looks, same feel, same guys working on cars in the street. That said, the other side of town was beautiful and our first choice was a house on Summitview in LongMont. Unfortunately, it had gone into contract two days prior... ****. However, we then revisted two prime areas- the Aspen Creek subdivision of Broomfield and the Broadlands. Of the two, the more family oriented seemed to be the Aspen Creek subdivision. This observation was made on a weekend based on the number of families outdoors partaking in some activity. Either of them would certainly be a great choice. If you like the golfing lifestyle, try the Broadlands or a newer development called Red Leaf.

Lafayette still held some appeal, but it was a beautiful home in Erie that won out. The city has great potential given the number of initiatives underway- a new elementary school, an industrial area and a new rec. center / library going up within the next year. I've never had the opportunity to be a part of something growing as Long Island is well established with new construction only replacing existing homes in most areas. In each of the cities mentioned, I physically got out of the car and spoke with people around the homes we were considering. Coming from NY, this just doesn't happen as people are pretty guarded here. It was a welcome surprise. All were more than helpful and courteous. It was nice to be able to say hello or good morning to people whereever you went without a cold stare. In the subways of NYC, I used to say hello to people all the time and they would make like they didn't see me or move look away. Life was not meant to be lived this way.

In Erie, we spoke with neighbors on both sides and they were delightful. One invited us into her home for ideas on decorating/colors and the other came out with contact info and their email address. This is the type of place I want to live and bring up the children! Look out Erie, here we come!

ChopperBill, I have never lived in such a rural area, but it seems very appealing. As a more social person, I enjoy chatting with neighbors and would miss that in the isolation of a larger property with acres between the neighbors. Conversely, I would imagine you are very self-sufficient in such a setting. There is something to be said for that as well.

Redrotor, all of the areas you have suggested have nice homes in the $250 range and since there are many currently vacant properties, you should have no problem cutting a great deal.

Lorrwill, what have you found in your searches? Here are the better websites I have found while searching like a psycho... :

http://www.coloradofuture.com has a nice format and a great search tool and the results can be plotted in google earth.

http://www.coloproperty.com has the most pictures of a given property. Usually twice as many as Coloradofuture.com. They have a nice school district search function.

http://www.cohomefinder.com/ has the best functionality for searching subdivisions and narrowing the results.
http://www.cohomefinder.com/browse-c...ands-homes.htm is a great example.
Combine all three of the above and you have one heck of a web site!

Whoever made the statement about culture not consisting of using a notebook at starbucks is dead-on! To us, culture is learning the customs of other cultures; respecting and considering others, their point of view and vision while enriching the lives of our children through exposure to ideas, art, nature and history.

Out of curiousity and off-topic -what are your ideas on culture and how will Colorado satisfy these needs?

Amen Concolour3!

Last edited by elemental; 10-09-2006 at 01:33 AM.. Reason: additional thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or