U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 12:08 PM

8 posts, read 38,892 times

Advertisements

Thanks Crackerjack!

We've lived in Vail for 14 years and know very little about the Denver neighborhoods. I do know that we want to live North of 70 and somewhere along the 36 corridor but not as far as Boulder. We're selling our place in the Vail Valley so we will be looking at houses in the $400-$525 thousand dollar range. Commuting is not a problem because we both work from home. Any suggestions on new construction in a nice friendly neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2006, 05:40 PM

10,676 posts, read 28,491,129 times
single family, patio homes, attached??

Old 10-19-2006, 10:29 PM

216 posts, read 824,613 times
I also noticed no one has mentioned Arvada? I had heard nothing but wonderful things about that city? We are currently in Oregon but are considering a move to the Denver area in about a year. We had friends that lived in Arvada (are now in TX) and said it is very nice with no crime! Anyone want to chime in on this city?

Old 10-19-2006, 11:41 PM

827 posts, read 4,541,267 times
VailEx, you are welcome.
Westminster has conserved over 2,500 acres in all areas within its borders. That amounts to 4 sq miles of natural open space, which is roughly 12% of the City's land area. Should public and private parks and golf courses be counted in the total, then almost 1/3 of the city is conserved as green space. One of the remarkable features offered to the residents of Westminster is the city's trail system. The Big Dry Creek Trail is one of the gems of the open space system, protruding just about ten miles from the eastern border of the city to Standley Lake featuring trails for running, bicycling and wildlife watching, every bit a wonderful experience for outdoor enthusiasts and nature lovers.

BradBurn Village is located in Westminster off 120th between Federal and Sheridan Blvd. Bradburn is 125 acres of pedestrian friendly; town homes, lofts, single family homes, and row apartments. Residents of Bradburn enjoy 9 community parks, 2 separate recreation centers and convenient access to major employment centers.

Home prices in Bradburn are made to fit almost every budget.
Single Family Homes -$300s-$500s
Townhomes - $200s to mid $300s
Live/work units- mid $500s

Village at Harmony Park. A community lifestyle where spacious, inviting homes, an abundance of recreational features, and the beauty of nature blend to form an incomparable all-single-family home community. Located in beautiful Westminster, Colorado, the Village at Harmony Park offers an exceptionally convenient location minutes from I-25 and area shopping, and within walking distance from area schools and parks. And with only 313 homes and three separate, distinctive neighborhoods, Village at Harmony Park has a small town feel where neighbors become friends and people look out for each other. You can use your search engine and type in these places for more information.
__________________________________________________ ______________

Nature Girl, Arvada is nestled between the foothills of the Rocky Mountains on the west and Metro Denver on the east with a population of nearly 105,000, but I am sure more since this info was released. At an elevation of approximately 5,340 feet, this city comprises 32.7 square land miles.
Recreation and Sports
This residential community is crisscrossed by a unique system of creeks and canals where you are able to enjoy hiking, biking, horseback riding trails and parks. The closeness of the mountains provides numerous opportunities for skiing, mountain biking, camping, boating, fishing, and white water rafting.
The Arvada/Blunn Reservoir site is open to the public for fishing, hiking, and electric motor boats only.
Art and Culture
The Arvada Center for the Arts and Humanities provides musical theater, drama, pop, and classical concerts, children's theater, gallery and museum exhibits and a wide variety of educational classes in the arts and humanities. The Arvada Center is the tenth largest cultural center in the state and features a 1,200 seat outdoor amphitheater and a 500-seat indoor theater. Two galleries exhibit contemporary art by regional, national, and international artists.
Dining, Entertainment, and Shopping
The historic Olde Town Arvada is a Colorado Main Street community and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This four square block section has 61 buildings, 42 of which are historic. Residents and visitors enjoy antique shops, boutiques, and an eclectic variety of stores. Dining venues are plentiful with an array of delicious cuisines. Or while away the hours sipping cappuccinos and lattes in one of the many coffee houses.
Education
Arvada learners attend the Jeffco Public School District, which is the largest district in Colorado. The District consists of 129 neighborhood schools, nine option schools with a special education focus, and ten charter schools. The District offers numerous programs such as pre-school for three to five year olds, family literacy, Indian education, International Student Exchange, and multicultural student services.
For higher educational pursuits, Red Rocks Community College offers weekend college, online courses, certificates, Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees, nursing assistant programs, and fire science technology.

I have friends in Arvada and love it. There are olders areas mixed with newer areas. I think a nice city.

Old 10-26-2006, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,618 times
Default Longmont & Gang Violence

We just bought a house in Longmont and are supposed to move there in 3 weeks. During the purchasing process, NOT ONE PERSON mentioned gang violence to us. Today is the first time I am finding out this information. I even wrote an email to our Realtor inquiring about what I am hearing. Quite frankly, I'm scared about what lies ahead for us. We have a small child and chose Longmont for the safe, family environment. The articles I read today have these gangs 2 miles away from us. How bad is this situation?

Old 10-27-2006, 02:42 AM

4bytherockies, I personally haven't heard of gangs in Longmont. It seems like a nice small city, but you can call the local police and ask. If anyone would know, they would. Here is the address and phone number:

City of Longmont Police
225 Kimbark St, Longmont, CO 80501 (303) 651-8555

Hope this helps!

Old 10-29-2006, 11:19 PM

220 posts, read 701,033 times
When considering this area, I spoke with..... [moderator cut] who was very helpful. What I learned was that there is a pocket in the NE quadrant that has seen some issues, but nothing that would keep her off of the streets in question. With this knowledge, I visited the actual areas and found it was much like an area near our current home called Freeport. After seeing this, we felt very comfortable buying a home a few miles away and found the center of Longmont town a very family-oriented place. We went back to our favorite home on Summitview and it had just gone into contract. Had it not, we would be living there now! What area did you buy in?

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-30-2006 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: delete personal data

Old 10-31-2006, 10:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,216 times
Default Get out while you can

I am in the same situation - living in Phoenix and counting the days until we can move to the Denver area. I lived in Denver for 3 years and loved it. Phoenix is miserable, and I live in what is considered to be one of the nicest areas. There are no seasons, no sense of community, no character, no rain, miles and miles of non-descript stucco houses eight feet away from each other with yards surrounded by block walls, high crime rate, the worst education system in the entire country based on a recent survey, some of the highest teen pregnancy in the country, extremely high high school drop out rate, etc., etc. I think the heat here warps people's minds into believing this is a good place to live. They seem to be the same people who drive 2 1/2 hours every chance they get to get out of this insane heat and the brown cloud of pollution that seems to perpetually engulf the entire area to go to the mountains. I think you can get the idea. Enough ranting. I am also considering areas north of Denver. Anyone know about Arvada. It seems to have good housing prices, light rail to Denver, an old town area... Any info would be appreciated on Arvada or other places to live in that area.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:46 AM

JerseyBob, I understand your situation on Phoenix, I am in the same boat you are in. Well, I shouldn't say boat, as there is very little water around here! I am moving out of Phoenix too. Anyway, I have friends in Arvada and it is a nice city. It has older areas mixed with newer areas and I like the historic downtown area. It has some great trails and is starts to climb up in that area so you can see the skyline of Denver in areas. I like Arvada. You might look into Westminster too, near there. Westminster has a lot of new areas. Golden is another small city that I like. Golden has a real community spirit. Arvada does too.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:42 AM

10,676 posts, read 28,491,129 times
no light rail in Arvada yet or Golden. coming, but not built yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or