U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 07:05 PM

122 posts, read 321,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Pueblo is just the place for you. There is an unlimited water supply, plenty of jobs, and one heckuva cultural scene with a vibrant night life. To cap it all off, it's yet to be impacted by the economic downturn.

Look for Pueblo on all of the forthcoming "10 Best Places" lists coming out in 2009....
You must be joking, that or you've never been to Pueblo. Sorry no offense Josseppie. Just not my cup of tea..

I'd say Colorado is not the "cheapest" place to live. I've lived here all my life, cept the marine corps years, and we had actually tossed around the idea of leaving for someplace a little cheaper. We thought NC might be a place for us. It was far cheaper than Denver, and it seemed like you got a lot more for your buck, housing wise. Problem was that you have a lot a transplants from NY & NJ and the small town southern charm is pretty much gone. Traffic seemed worse because the infrastructure has not been able to keep up with the growth. Gee sounds a lot like the Denver metro area.

Since I've never been north of NC, I can't really give you an accurate comparison to CT. I'd have to say that the weather will be much better than CT, at least more sunny days. The cost of living will most likely be a little cheaper. I'd check out the job situation carefully though, Colorado dosen't have the larger business, ie higher paying, jobs that some of the larger east coast cities might. So while the cost of living may be a little cheaper your income may be a little less too, depending on what you do.

Last edited by ottodog; 01-03-2009 at 07:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Status: "Pueblo Canon City CSA 208,000. The 134th largest in the USA!" (set 19 days ago)

9,820 posts, read 10,402,168 times
Don't worry I am use to the state attacking Pueblo, it has been going on my entire life. I have never said it was perfect here, we have our issues like any other city.

One thing I can say though is for the most part I can do the same things you guys can in Colorado Springs and Denver with a lower cost of living.

BTW if you don't think we have a good outlook just glance at the 2009 economic forecast for Colorado. It says Pueblo is having a hard time on main street just as wall street is but also says:

"The long-term prospects for pueblo's economic growth are encouraging. It is simply a matter of working through the short-term turmoil caused by the end of an old era"

Old 01-06-2009, 07:22 AM

7 posts, read 21,138 times
I have done a TON of research on this and I think all of advice is awesome, thank you! There are really not that many jobs that I would be interested in from what I can find. I know the job market is touch now, but I am actually finding some good jobs this week (maybe because of the new year, people are going to start at it again), but that means to move closer to NYC or Boston (which is fine with me as long as the salary is good). I guess the big thing was the COL in CO because if EVERYTHING was cheaper and we were both making the same wage, then obviously it would work out better in the long run.

I found out that a co-worker used to live in Col Springs and loved it, but he said money reasons were not the reason to move there since things are really not that much different. Rent/housing is cheaper, but so are the wages. I am not looking as much for scenery right now as I am looking to get ahead. I know loan payment will not change, but if things like car insurance and groveries were cheaper than it would be a no-brainer. It sounds like CO is hurting just as bad as CT. The advantage we have in CT is people are leaving (opening a lot of jobs) where people in CO are moving IN. So right now I will keep the move idea in the back of my head and stay in CT to look for another job this quarter and see how things go. Thanks again for the advice guys!

Old 01-06-2009, 08:16 PM

291 posts, read 554,452 times
I've read lots of good advice from these other post. I'm not so sure I agree with Pueblo, though. In all honesty I've never lived there. It used to be a steel town but had to reinvent itself after the mills shut down in a prolonged strike. They've made great strides but I just don't see it as what you're looking for, although it would be cheaper than Denver. You housing cost, I believe, would be cheaper than in CT. Don't just compare prices but also the taxes. No matter where you live, people always think their taxes are too high, but compared to many states on the east coast, I think ours are cheap. When you look at some of those web sites, check out the property taxes and then do a search for you area and compare.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:32 PM

67,326 posts, read 54,914,303 times
I don't know about car insurance, but groceries, clothes, entertainment, etc, are roughly the same everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado