U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:52 PM

5,470 posts, read 14,391,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What I don't understand is why there are so many people from TX and AZ moving to CO (I didn't read the article). There isn't that big of a difference in housing prices so the economic driver isn't there. And, I don't think a whole lot of people move to somewhere purely for climate or aesthetic reasons. Maybe they do, but it seems like a weak reason.
Charles, you have to understand most people are not as rational as you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 09:59 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,725,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobmw View Post
I like urban sprawl. What's the alternative? Crowding everyone into a "managed growth area" and then forcing them to take public transport? Suburbs are the American way. Houses with big yards, new parks, shopping malls - the whole lot. I guess we could stop people from coming here, but how? Yup, we're from California. Left not so much because the place was getting run down, but because CA has turned very liberal and with far too much government. CO does appear to be heading slowly in the same direction.
Yuck! and Yay!
Where's the next place to move? Texas?

Old 01-05-2009, 10:05 PM

Well, I'm moving, hopefully, to NM, so there!

Old 01-05-2009, 10:06 PM

2,369 posts, read 4,487,648 times
There is definetly alot of Californians in Colorado. Im in high school right now and I meet more people from California then people actually from Colorado.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:08 PM

5,748 posts, read 7,318,101 times
@lala: I recently read a funny book about a guy who moved to NM to embrace the simple life called Farewell My Subaru. Very entertaining!

Old 01-05-2009, 10:39 PM

147 posts, read 419,787 times
Did anyone read the whole article from the OP's link? If I am reading this right, per the quote taken from the article, there are actually more Coloradans leaving than coming in, or at least from Arizona(?).

"While it is true that people have relocated to this state, Coloradans, in turn, have been moving to California, Texas, Arizona and elsewhere.

As a result, Colorado's net gain in population from those states is narrowed considerably.

For example, Garner cited figures from the Internal Revenue Service that showed in 2005-2006 more than 8,100 Coloradans resettled in Arizona, compared with a little under 8,000 former Arizonans who moved here. Many retirees have relocated to Arizona, she said.

"So, we actually have a net out," Garner said."

Old 01-05-2009, 10:55 PM

8,177 posts, read 16,200,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobmw View Post
I like urban sprawl. What's the alternative? Crowding everyone into a "managed growth area" and then forcing them to take public transport? Suburbs are the American way. Houses with big yards, new parks, shopping malls - the whole lot.
Well, it's too bad that you are in love with suburbs as "the American way"--because it is an unsustainable, dying lifestyle. I give it about 10-15 more years, at best. And, for historical perspective, the modern American version of "suburbia" has only been around for about 60 years or so. It will probably wind up being one of the shortest-lived living arrangements in human history--fundamentally flawed and unsustainable almost from the beginning. The only reason so many modern Americans (who eschew looking at history like it's the plague) embrace it is it is the only lifestyle that they have ever known. Their loss.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:06 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,799,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
One thing that really gripes me is that Americans have lost just about any historical knowledge or insight they might have had about their own geography. This thread is a great example. It wasn't that many years ago that places like California and Arizona had a relatively high quality of life for the average person, and were relatively affordable, as well. Because of that, they attracted tons of in-migration, and have been losing both quality of life and affordability ever since. Those who can are fleeing, and those "refugees" come to places like Colorado where they perceive affordability and quality of life as being better. Unfortunately, when they show up in droves--especially when they want to live exactly the way they did where they were--they cause the same decline of quality of life and decline in affordability wherever they land. Sort of like an infectious disease that finds a new healthy host.

That is happening in spades in Colorado. First to go is usually affordability, and that has been ongoing for quite awhile now in Colorado. After awhile, the decline in quality of life starts--and then accelerates. We may be behind places like California in those regards, but what has happened there is just a harbinger of our not-distant future if we don't change course. For those of us who have lived in the Rocky Mountain region our whole lives, this is difficult to watch--sort of like watching someone you love die of a horrible disease and not being able to do much about it.

Of course, there are those who pimp real estate and the like who think this kind of "growth" represents "progress," but even some of these self-serving types have to wonder what they are doing to their state. Sort of like s***ting in one's own nest.
jazzlover, I read your posts always, and appreciate the knowledge you bring to this forum, but there is NO WAY to stop, impede, or delay development.

I've been running from it my whole life. Maybe the one thing good about the lack of water here in Colorado is that it will cap the development and population at a certain level?

Hey, we can always move to Wyoming, Montana, or even Alaska, no?

Old 01-06-2009, 06:08 PM

2,528 posts, read 4,901,901 times
2bindenver Texas has added more people than Colorado, including people from colorado. Now I too can be foolish and say " Gee must be the Texas quality of life", but more likely than not its for a job.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
@lala: I recently read a funny book about a guy who moved to NM to embrace the simple life called Farewell My Subaru. Very entertaining!
I'll check it out! Thx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado