U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 03:30 PM

10 posts, read 16,754 times

Advertisements

Thanks, delta07 -- Your input/response meant a lot to me, as any and all responses to my concerns here. I've spent a lot of years in Denver, off and on, and it's more "quiet" than other cities I've lived in (Miami, NYC, Atlanta, Houston). Fortunately, I lived in Seattle and it was the nicest of all. Someone here, recently, mentioned Grand Junction as being a nice, quiet place to live, and I paid attention. I wanted to check into it and I thought posting on this board might shed some light... and it has. I'm really not a people-person (or maybe I am) and I tend to do better when I have more peace and quiet around me; I'm more productive. I don't like crowds, I don't like noise, I don't do well around people who are inconsiderate or loud. A loud neighbor would drive me up a wall; therefore, I try to really check things out before moving into a miserable situation. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 03:36 PM

I happen to enjoy winters, cl723, sincerely. I often fantasize about living in Alaska for that reason. I love the cold, I love the snow, I love being snowed in. I also enjoy long nights, as in winter season. (Summer is my lease favorite season.) As far as crime goes, I know it's basically everywhere, though I was a little surprise the even see that word mentioned in a discussion about a town like Grand Junction. Long lines at restaurants aren't a problem for me: I don't eat out. I love to cook for myself; I hardly ever dine out. I'm the most reclusive person I know (smile). Thanks for your post in response to mine. Sincerely.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:48 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,261,861 times
lonesome, In some of my post, I was responding to what someone else was saying about the area. I didn`t want you to think that some of the things that one poster was saying was true of the area.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:25 PM

i understand, and i apologize if i singled anyone out. sincerely.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:30 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,220,720 times
You're more than welcome Lonesome! I have say, if summer is your least favorite season, that you probably wouldn't be very happy in Grand Junction. It has a pretty long, hot summer and coupled with the desert landscape (even more so than Denver), it may be unbearable for you. I remember moving to Grand Junction after living high in the Rocky Mountains. I arrived in April and it was already 85 degrees. By July you usually have 100+ degree days, and on average it's in the upper 90s from about mid June to late September. The weather is actually very similar to Las Vegas, although a tad cooler (and by that we're talking only 10 degrees or so) and you will get some snow in the winter.

If you liked Seattle's weather, have you considered moving back there or somewhere else in the PNW (even Alaska)? Now might be your time! For me, I miss the long summers (I live in Bend, Oregon now). Right now it's only 62 degrees and overcast.

Like someone else stated, crime is relative to where you are from. No, it's not big city crime, but just do a search on this forum about Grand Junction and you can read many threads about the crime in the area. Trust me, it is there. GJ has a somewhat transient (and I don't mean homeless, just people who follow the work) population due to the oil and gas industry. You're not going to find nice and quiet unless you move outside of town. You won't have lush vegetation and overcast, drizzly skies to block the noise. I found it loud and obnoxious most of the time I lived there.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:02 PM

Default Wow...

... Bend sounds nice! Yeah, I miss the PNW a lot. Those were the happiest years of my life... I loved every minute of my life in Seattle. The more you said about GJ the more I realize it's probably not the place for me... I really don't care for all that heat. I thought of GJ simply because it's close to where I am already; it wouldn't cost too much to relocate, in other words. But if it's THAT desert-like and hot (plus all the other stuff mentioned) then nah, I probably won't be that happy there. I'm looking to move sometime around spring 2011... therefore, I've got a little time to look around online at different things. I have often thought of returning to the PNW... it's a good possibility.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:37 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,486,879 times
delta07 wrote:
By July you usually have 100+ degree days, and on average it's in the upper 90s from about mid June to late September.
Granted, it gets HOT in Grand Junction, but my friend delta is exaggerating a bit. I've been tracking the daily high and low temperatures since my arrival in GJ back in '06.

Here's a list of highs, 100 or above:
2006 - 8
2007 - 10
2008 - 2
2009 - 7
2010 - 9

Here's a list of highs, 90 or above ( includes the 100 degree highs ):
2006 - 75
2007 - 79
2008 - 73
2009 - 60
2010 - 67 ( thru 8-30 )

Going back to '06, there have been only 15 highs in the 90s during the month of September. The highest September temperature during that time was 95 in '07. 11 of the 15 90 degree highs in this 4 year period were 92 or less. During that time, the latest 90 high ( 91 ) was recorded on Sept 11th in '09

Old 08-30-2010, 11:48 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,220,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
delta07 wrote:
By July you usually have 100+ degree days, and on average it's in the upper 90s from about mid June to late September.
Granted, it gets HOT in Grand Junction, but my friend delta is exaggerating a bit. I've been tracking the daily high and low temperatures since my arrival in GJ back in '06.

Here's a list of highs, 100 or above:
2006 - 8
2007 - 10
2008 - 2
2009 - 7
2010 - 9

Here's a list of highs, 90 or above ( includes the 100 degree highs ):
2006 - 75
2007 - 79
2008 - 73
2009 - 60
2010 - 67 ( thru 8-30 )

Going back to '06, there have been only 15 highs in the 90s during the month of September. The highest September temperature during that time was 95 in '07. 11 of the 15 90 degree highs in this 4 year period were 92 or less. During that time, the latest 90 high ( 91 ) was recorded on Sept 11th in '09
True, I may be exaggerating a bit, but when someone claims they love the mild climate of the PNW, I'm pretty sure they aren't going to enjoy the climate of GJ! I also did state by July you will get 100+ degree days and usually the temps are 90+ from June through late September (and I was going on memory here). It sounds like late September is a stretch for the 90s, but the last September I spent in GJ was in '07 so that's what I'm remembering.

Cosmic, I love that you've been keeping track of the temps since you lived there. It truly does help out people who are interested in the area (I wish someone could have given me data like that for Bend-much easier than looking through all the climate graphs). It does look like from your data that there are at least 2 to 2 1/2 months of temps above 90. That's hot! And to be honest, I miss that. Right now in Bend it's overcast and raining. Someone told me that Bend was supposed to be like Colorado, but clearly it's like a mountain town in CO and not the desert of GJ like I was used to, lol! Enjoy your heat and send some this way please. My tomatoes could use it!

Old 08-30-2010, 12:01 PM

wow lol

Old 08-30-2010, 12:03 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,486,879 times
delta07 wrote:
when someone claims they love the mild climate of the PNW, I'm pretty sure they aren't going to enjoy the climate of GJ!
I think you are absolutely right about that. GJ has the most extreme climate of ANY place I've ever lived....and the extremes have been even more extreme since I've been here. Every July and August since '06 has been HOTTER than the norm, and every Dec and Jan have been COLDER than the norm. That being said, thru 8-29, this August is EXACTLY at the norm thru the 1st 29 days. Depending on these last two day of August, it is likely to finish slightly above or slightly below the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado