U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 08:05 PM

2,758 posts, read 6,434,989 times

Advertisements

Hi
I'm a recent addition to this forum and I really would like to move to Co. This is my first pick of other states. I have lived in Louisiana 40 years and am ready to experience something new. Have been to Co both in summer and winter, Denver and Colorado Springs among other places, but never been to Grand Junction. If some kind souls could tell me about the weather, the economy, crime, COL, general population, I would much appreciate it. I could look up these stats, but personal experiences and stories would be much better. I can't stand the heat and humidity down here anymore and the chaos from the hurricanes hasn't benefited this state at all. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2006, 11:41 PM

649 posts, read 2,648,992 times
Hey Dave-

Unfortunately I can't help you with Grand Junctin, Colorado Springs native. However if you have any questions about the Springs or Denver, I can help you out. What are you looking for? What's important to you?>

Old 06-17-2006, 04:37 AM

827 posts, read 4,541,267 times
Default About Grand Junction

Grand Junction is a desert city with a pop. of over 40,000. There are other cities close by such as Palisade, Orchard Mesa and Fruita being some. The area is very close the Utah so there are a lot of Mormons there. The area looks similiar to Utah so if you know what Utah looks like, you have a good idea of GJ. The winters are mild and it is probably the most mildest in Colorado. The Colorado wine country is located there and they grow peaches which anyone in horticulture knows, peaches don't like real cold weather. There are some cowboys too in the area. There are farms and orchards and such. Crime, it has low murders, usually near 1 or 2 a year but high in rapes and property crimes for some reason. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Crackerjack; 06-17-2006 at 04:40 AM..

Old 06-17-2006, 05:27 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,741,121 times
Not sure about the whole "Mormon population" in GJ as I did live there from 1994-1995 and never did I run into anyone claiming to be of any religious format.

Not sure about the whole peaches thing either as they are dang sweet. better than Georgia peaches seeing as I can get them in Colorado Springs and they are sweeter. Not only are the days warm-hot during the growing season, the nights are cooler which bring out the sweetness of most all fruits on the western slope. Also, since the trucking time is less from there to C Springs, the fruit is picked at almost ripe and shipped here unlike Georgia peaches which can't make it here with the same results.

Regardless.

GJ is a great little city that I hope to return to. The metro area is pretty suburban and not really all that lame as some might think.

It's close to a lot of recreational opportunities. Not the best options for work like the Front Range and the salaries are low but the cost of living there is pretty low too.

It has all your major ammenities like Sam's Club, symphony, excellent downtown businesses with great restaurants a mall. You are a 90 minute drive from Moab (if you take the highway route). You are not far from the the Grand Mesa which is a wonderful refuge from the heat of the summer and lots of hiking opportunities.

The people are kind, the farmers are around there so if you hate driving slow in the fast lane, highway 50 is a treat when you are in a hurry.

If you have the money, the Redlands is for you. Lot's of beautiful properties that back up against the Colorado Monument.

Glenwood Springs and even Aspen aren't that far away. I used to travel up there a lot.

GJ offers a lot of the simpler things in life that a small town would offer but has some bigger city things that many people like. Granted it's a four hour drive to Denver or a five hour drive to Salt Lake City but if you need your big city fix, stick to the Front Range of Colorado where things are really picking up.

I gotta tell you. I miss Grand Junction. She's always in my heart. Unfortunately I have a father that I don't want to leave. The history of his side of the family isn't all that great, health wise or I would be back in GJ within the year.

If you like a laid back lifestyle, recreation opportunities and desert air, GJ is for you.

Can't tell I miss it, eh?

Old 06-17-2006, 09:36 PM

Default winter driving in Colorado

Thanks for responding with info about Grand Junction. I also like the Springs area as well. I am a geologist, my wife is a teacher and we have a 13 year old daughter who enjoys swimming and gymnastics. She does both competatively. I still have quite a bit of talking to do with both of them to move. Wifes not sure about winters (she grew up in Idaho Falls, Id) and we are both in our 50's. I've never driven much in winter weather although occasionally we have some down here. Do you change from summer to winter tires throughout the state or just certain areas? It's not a big deal really, just curious.

Old 06-18-2006, 01:58 AM

1 posts, read 10,530 times
I am from Grand Junction and I love it! I think this may be the place for you since we have mild winters and any snow melts off quick. There are a lot of mormons here, we refer to us as Latter Day Saints, me being ONE but we are a respectful, decent lot and don't interfere in other people's lives. We DO claim to have the sweetest peaches in Colorado! I love them! Come join us in GJ! You'll be glad you did!

Last edited by GJNative; 06-18-2006 at 02:03 AM..

Old 06-18-2006, 08:01 AM

393 posts, read 1,712,890 times
I just have to chime in here.........When I took my tour of CO, I made it a point to drive all the way out to GJ........The drive itself is incredible from Denver, but it is very secluded, and this makes it seem like u are in the middle of nowhere......Then again the US has some AWESOME national parks, but I found Utah to be full of some of the best, and u are only a hop, skip and jump away from them in GJ. I had a wonderful experience there, I loved that little/big city.
And as always the people in CO cannot be beat!

Old 07-29-2006, 05:40 PM

Thanks for all your information. I have been busy lately and could not get back to this site, but you all have been very helpful and I am getting some info now to make a trip out there in the next year.Dave

Old 07-31-2006, 11:06 PM

1,683 posts, read 7,462,467 times
I have to chime in that I also LOVE Grand Junction. We toured the entire state last summer and it was one of my favorite places. Second only to the San Juans and Ouray. If I were choosing to relocate to Colorado, it would probably be my first choice with C.S. following.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:02 PM

2 posts, read 18,572 times
Default Grand Junction

Thank you all for your information about Grand Junction. I am especially pleased that it it a "favorite place" for one of the respondents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado