Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 03:33 PM

75 posts, read 110,636 times

Advertisements

I have to add that no matter where we flee... The same issues to some extent will be where we end up, just embraced differently I think.

I know there will be drug problems in CO, but the economy and the culture doesn't seem to embrace it as here in Northern Cal. I am disappointed in the voters choosing to legalize marijuana in CO though. Coming from the emerald triangle here.... A lot more accompanies these laws than people might think.

I bet there is a gay/lesbian community there in Co, regardless of which town you choose as well. You won't avoid that anymore than we will avoid drugs altogether.

I have to say that I have yet to actually get to know a single gay person who hasn't become a friend, a few rather good friends, to some extent. I would choose not to live in the heart of a gay community merely because we'd have very little in common, not because they are crappy people. I am not saying you said that though. I don't necessarily want to live in a community that is overwhelmingly bent towards any of the values I personally do not agree with, I just don't think it's possible to avoid them altogether.

I did not get the feel that the Fort was a majority liberal or gay community. While it probably would seem more liberal when compared to the Springs with the military and evangelical community there.

I have not talked with a single Springs resident who did not tout the town as "Very Conservative" and religious. If that helps at all.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 03:38 PM

4 posts, read 6,440 times
Off the topic a bit but I was on a road trip recently through the Rocky Mountains and fell in LOVE with Glenwood Springs. Probably one of the most beautiful towns I have ever laid eyes on. People tend to disagree with me on this but it's all relative. When I move out of L.A. I would love to take a crack at Glenwood Springs!

Old 11-08-2012, 07:40 PM

99 posts, read 224,998 times
I lived back in Colorado Springs when it was just sprawls-ville. Now it's Sprawls-ville+++. Fort Collins has a much more comfy feel, in my opinion. And I'd say that most of non-Old-Town Fort Collins is more right wing. So you could probably find people with similar values. I've also read recent articles that Northern Colorado has been the part of Colorado least affected by the recession. Rents have been higher here because there are more jobs and therefore more people moving here to fill up rental units.

That said, there are some nice parts of Colorado Springs. You'll probably end up in a lot more traffic and you'll have to drive a lot more, but I hear that they may expand I-25 down thatta way, which should make things slightly less miserable when it comes to getting around town. And since it's a bigger town than Fort Collins, there's just plain more going on all the way around. The city has grown right up into Black Forest, which is a really pretty part of town. And being less arid down that way, there's a lot more foliage which makes for prettier scenery.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:03 PM

104 posts, read 415,777 times
Default OK, so I know this is old, but.......

Laramie, Wyoming or Rapid City, South Dakota? Have been to both numerous times. Rapid City is OK, though is rather small and lacking in anything that you could find in Fort Collins or Colorado Springs. Laramie??? I'm sorry, but I wouldn't wish Laramie on my worst enemy. Laramie is a very small city, with miserable winter conditions, little to no shopping, and very little employment opportunities. Speaking of employment opportunities, Rapid City doesn't have much going for it in that department either. Job wise, COS or FoCo would be better bets. Can't comment on the other cities mentioned, as I have not been to them.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:49 AM

20 posts, read 63,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I'd Add Rapid City, Spearfish, SD & Laramie, Sheridan, WY to your list. As well as Billings and Bozeman, MT.

CO is getting a bit 'over-run' as it was when I left 30 yrs ago. (I was just there last week for the 'numerous' time this yr)

CS, definately is closer to your tastes (as are above towns, but MUCH better employment opportunities and similar Quality of Life (Laramie and RC have the worst of winter in above choices, but not all that much different). BUT there are some seedy places in CS. And very few of such in FtC. Loveland, CO (banana belt) is a good choice, but you will have to drive 10 min North, 20 min east, or 30 min South to a University.
Good post!!!
Rapid City, Spearfish, Laramie, Sheridan, Billings, Bozeman, Fort Collins, Loveland. All great.
And big enough to love.
To choose between Colo. Spr. and Fort Collins is like choosing between Christie Brinkley and Kathy Ireland.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:57 PM

17 posts, read 41,398 times
Default Fort Collins vs. Colorado Springs

Our family (husband, self, and two young daughters under 2) are seriously talking about moving out west within the next 18 months. I am currently a stay at home mom, while my husband is in IT and will be able to relocate while keeping his current position and working from home. We are travelling to CO next month and will be visiting both areas north (Fort Collins/Loveland) and south (Colorado Springs) of Denver. Can anyone provide me with some pros and cons/comparisons of the two areas that will help us in navigating our trip/decide which location would be better for our family?

Old 06-25-2013, 03:01 PM

8,590 posts, read 14,744,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8tor Grl View Post
Our family (husband, self, and two young daughters under 2) are seriously talking about moving out west within the next 18 months. I am currently a stay at home mom, while my husband is in IT and will be able to relocate while keeping his current position and working from home. We are travelling to CO next month and will be visiting both areas north (Fort Collins/Loveland) and south (Colorado Springs) of Denver. Can anyone provide me with some pros and cons/comparisons of the two areas that will help us in navigating our trip/decide which location would be better for our family?
If I had my druthers I'd be in Ft. Collins, but the IT market up there is pathetic. If something happens to your husband's job he'll have an extremely difficult time lining up another one. For that reason alone I'd choose the Springs over Ft. Collins.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:57 AM

17 posts, read 41,398 times
Default Best Farmers Markets and outdoor events

Can someone provide a comparison (or point me to where one has already been made) of which town has better farmers markets for local and organic produce, grass-fed beef, raw dairy, etc., as well as free outdoor events (i.e. concerts, festivals, etc.) year-round?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado