U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2006, 11:37 AM

20,321 posts, read 37,832,470 times

Advertisements

1. Airports. Denver (DIA) is the big airport in the region. Drive time from Col Spgs is 75 mins, I've done it several times. Ft Collins to DIA will be same or less. There is a commercial airport in Col Spgs but it can't compare to DIA.

2. Boating, camping, family weekend adventures. Available in both cities. I give the edge to Ft Collins due to its proximity to Rocky Mtn Nat Park and other mountain parks. I was up there this weekend (Grand Lake) and had a great time at one of the resorts. I'll PM you the details, as I'm so enthused about the Winding River Resort Village anything I say here will sound like a commerical! There are tons of such opportunities up there. It was a 3 hour drive from Col Spgs, max of 2 hours from Ft. Collins. My own pix of Grand Lake follows:

3. Snow. Along most of the Front Range (I-25 corridor), it will snow and melt out quickly, in a day or so. Like back east, every 5-10 years you get a whopper of a snow. Millions live here, it can't be that big of a problem, eh. There are long weather discussions in Col Spgs and Col Forums. Go to the Col Sprgs or Col statewide forum and use the Forum Search tool to find threads, key words to try: climate, weather, snow, cold, melt, rain. Climate wise we are Alpine Desert.

Yes, get excited! You're going to love Colorado.

s/Mike from back east, and I ain't going back....
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2006, 02:52 PM

45 posts, read 317,751 times
Ft. Clns is much smaller!!!! Colorado Spgs has a lot of southwest features - Garden of the Gods, Seven Falls, etc. etc. and super easy access to the mtns. Ft. Clns doesn't really have any natural features in town. You do have to drive to get to mtn beauty. But I think Northern Colorado has a less "hot" (desert) feel to it. You have to drive to DIA for an airport (unless you have your own plane), Colo. Spgs has an airport. Ft. Clns has a nice, developing downtown - CoSpgs has had that for years. Both have Colleges...Co Spgs has two+. I would choose Ft. Clns over Co.Spgs becuase I perfer Towns over Cities. But both have some wonderful things to offer!

Old 09-19-2006, 10:18 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,746,870 times
Huh Mike, I am in Briargate and can hit DIA in 55 minutes (via E-470). Takes me 25 minutes to get to COS via Powers.

As for the OP, I have never lived in Ft. Collins but it is a great place to live. A boss I had a few hears back lives/lived there (he owned 5 tire stores and we had a small office down here to do the accounting) and had five children. He very much liked it up there.

It's a college town but from my knowledge a very safe place to raise children.

C Springs is also a nice place to live. I have lived here 33 of my 38 years and all my family is here. My older brother and sis-in-law moved from the Phoenix area (he went to school at ASU) after not liking the place because of the crime and such. They have their children enrolled in a District 20 school which is outstanding. The kids are very involved in athletics, their studies and their church. Very good kids.

My younger brother and his wife have an older daughter who attends a District 20 school even though they live in the District 11 area. She (my brother's step-daughter) has been a little scattered with her life because of whatever reason but she's thriving in the school she attends. My youngest nephew attend Colorado Springs Christian School and will continue to do so until he's a little older and will start public schools.

I have many friends that do a lot of outdoor activities. Hunting, fishing, skiing (both water and snow), hiking, biking, camping and...wow, I am a computer slave or sloth but they feel that we have good access to it. Also, the drive to Denver is not all that bad when you really want to take in a concert, pro sporting event, good shopping, etc...We have good food, concerts, local sporting events and such too.

One of the nice things about C Springs is not all that much snow compared to some of the northern areas. Oh and Pikes Peak. No other Front Range city or town has that incredible looming creature of geological types like that but us. ;-)

The political climate in Ft. Fun (as they call it -- college age people) is a lot less conservative than down here but we do have a lot of military so that will kind of make things a little more conservative but as C Springs grows it's becoming slightly more diversified. Just slightly though.

The main difference is the size of the two cities really.

Old 09-20-2006, 12:12 AM

171 posts, read 770,065 times
Default your beautiful area

Hi Everyone,
Thank you so much for your replies. I suppose the hard part is that it is so nice in both places how can we ever decide! Thank you for your input, you gave me some things to think about. Can anyone tell me how you would determine a "great school" there, I hear about district 20 etc. But what about Fort Collins, what are the districts there? Or for both cities, zipcodes to look to for great family communities?
Thank you again!
PS Also I loved getting pics of your beautiful area, it inspires me to hurry up and move on.......

Old 09-26-2006, 12:41 PM

27 posts, read 142,216 times
Default thanks

Hi , thanks for the question and thanks for the responses. We are also from California and we are going back and forth between Fort Collins and COlorado Springs! All the information helped us also! -

Old 10-02-2006, 02:43 PM

105 posts, read 101,973 times
OK well aside from getting a divorce and each of you living where you want, I would guess ft collins might have better schools because of the higher percentage university population and all the education majors. This gives the school districts the ability to be picky. Also the area is more education oriented.

For college the University of Colorado in nearby Boulder is pretty decent. Coming from California you cant expect anything near the level of Berkeley or Stanford,but the colleges in Colorado are at least decent.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:40 AM

Default You made me smile!

LOL Fish, thanks but divorce is not an option here, I am not doing a relocation with three kids by myself. I know we need to visit, but wanted to get the general pros and cons of each so we had a better idea of what and where to explore. I would love to know some zip codes of good elementary schools, and up etc.... or districts that would do well for my children. That is of great importance to me.

Thanks for your time. I appreciated your post!
K

Old 10-07-2006, 08:28 AM

117 posts, read 467,139 times
Default Fort Collins or Colorado Springs - family with teens

Thanks to all who responded to a previous post - we seem to have narrowed our search area down to Colorado Springs or Fort Collins - getting excited and counting down the days - will be there in 2 weeks time for a week long visit. I am sure that our own visit will help to determine which might be a better fit for us personally but would love to hear input from others torn between the two places and everywhere in between. Being a
homeschooling family with a teen son and 10 yr old daughter we need to find an active homeschooling community.

We are originally from South Africa, spent many years cruising in the Caribbean and love travelling and outdoor activities. We are looking for a blend of people, accepting of other nationalities as well as tolerant of different view points. At the same time community is important ( very) and would love to find a non-demoninational Church with a youth focus ( not entertainment..)

Currently living in a gated neighbourhood we feel that we would like some more space- a slightly rural feel, happy to travel a short distance to activities, my husband would be looking to start something in the plumbing/remodelling field, looking for an active Civil Air Patrol unit and a good swim team....not asking much are we??

Old 10-07-2006, 11:16 AM

15 posts, read 75,406 times
Hi there. I grew up in Colorado Springs (COS) and lived in Ft. Collins when I was in college.

Both are great cities that each have their pros and cons. Ft. Collins is a college town. It's growing, but not at the pace COS is. Because Ft. Collins is a college town, the population is younger and they are probably slightly more accepting than COS.

I was homeschooled for a few years while I lived in COS. At the time--16 or 17 years ago--their homeschooling community was starting to blossom. I really can't speak for Ft. Collins. I'm sure COS's homeschooling community is even bigger today.

As far as churches, COS does have a great variety of churches and religions. I think Ft. Collins does, too, but I think COS has slightly more.

Ft. Collins isn't nestled quite as far in the foothills as COS, so I think there's more housing that has a lot of land within the city. COS is growing so much and they're having to build east because there's no where to go to build west.

Of course, COS is home to the Air Force Academy, so you have that as well as Ft. Carson (Army base).

Swimming: When I was growing up, they had some outstanding swim teams in COS; if I recall, Rampart HS, Doherty HS--both in the northern end of the city--and Cheyenne Mtn. HS all had pretty good swim teams. There may be others, but those stick out in my mind as being pretty good. If you're homeschooling, I suppose that doesn't matter much, though.

The U.S. Olympic Training Center is in COS and they'd probably have some very good info on private/non-academic-related swim teams.

Sorry to be so long-winded. Hope I've given you some good answers, though! Good luck.

Old 10-07-2006, 12:05 PM

Default Good luck with your trip!

Hi Oceankids

We are looking at those two areas too. When you get back from your trip can you post again and update us on what all you found out? I'd appreciate it, as our trip won't be for awhile longer (longer than I'd hoped). So any relocation info on those areas that you find out would be of great help to us as well! We have younger children, but again they grow so fast they will be teenagers before we know it!

Thanks and good luck on your trip!!
Kali
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or