U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 11:33 AM

10 posts, read 47,195 times

Advertisements

I would highly recommend Fort Collins. Progressive thinking people and quite beautiful. Your investment in a home here will be one of your best returns ever due to the town growing and an influx of people looking to escape the more crowded Front Range cities like Denver. I can't say enough about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 07:46 PM

450 posts, read 1,687,835 times
Two very different cities.... Colorado Springs has been called a suburb looking for a city, as the downtown is not too dynamic. There's a real strong segment of conservative Christians there, some people find that a plus, some find it a minus, it depends on your point of view I suppose. Fort Collins has a more active, albeit a lot smaller, downtown. The downtown in Colorado Springs is all offices, in Fort Collins, it's all restaurants and shops.

Colorado Springs has more mountain amenities right there, Fort Collins is against the mountains, but lacks some of the tourist attractions adjacent to the city -- not that you ever go far for mountain activities on the Front Range.

Both cities are very popular. Personally, I enjoy the college town vibe of Fort Collins, but both are fine places.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:09 PM

540 posts, read 1,107,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Why not think about Cheyenne, WY just a few miles north of Fort Collins? Really beautiful state, low cost of living, friendly people, not as populated and congested as CO, AND closer to Yellowstone!!

Lily, where do you live, if I may ask? It may sound strange, but, on the Ga threads, they will discourage people from moving to their towns. Do you live in Cheyenne?

Last edited by Floridanative2; 01-15-2007 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 02-01-2007, 04:08 PM

28 posts, read 109,378 times
Although it is one of the windiest places in the world.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:55 PM

135 posts, read 549,454 times
Default COL SPGS vs Fort Collins

Can someone give some differences-good and bad about one vs. the other?

Which one is closer to better skiing?

Old 07-04-2007, 08:33 AM

135 posts, read 549,454 times
Default is anyone around?

Help! Can someone post on this thread for me???

Old 07-04-2007, 10:43 AM

20,378 posts, read 37,934,905 times
Access to skiing is good anywhere along the Front Range, from FC to Pueblo, maybe more. All FR areas are within 2 hours of fine skiing. There is a lot of info in the forum on skiing, the search tool will find it. Unless you make your living at winter sports, move this issue to secondary status in your relo decision making. IMO, work, schools, commuting, affordability, pastimes are proper sequence of priorities. With it population base of 2.5M people, the Denver area will have more people into the sport, they even run a great old legendary Ski Train from Denver, in-season, through some of the best scenery on earth that you cannot see if driving. Driving to the ski areas from Denver in the winter can be a trip of it's own, I've heard that I-70 gets tons of traffic.

COL SPGS is a working town, heavy on the military side, with at least one excellent private college (Colorado College) plus UCCS and several smaller ones. Many evangelical organizations are based here but maintain decorum.

FC is a mostly a college town, virtually no military footprint, considered more liberal in attitude, cheaper than Boulder. Plenty of info on Fort Collins is already here, search on COLLINS.

No shortage of fun things to do anywhere along the FR. Fine schools & colleges are abundant. Denver is the main site for culture, arts, museums but even so there is a lot of all these all about the FR. Denver is the nightlife king, but smaller venues locally offer much if you look for it.

For example, Denver has major league baseball, with high prices and so many rules to follow that all you can do it sit there and watch. Here in COL SPGS we have a Triple AAA minor league team, the difference is that the cost here is so much less (best seat only $9), you CAN talk to the players between innings, players are accessible and friendly, there are fireworks on many Friday nights, the fun level is much higher, a family event, you can take the dog several times per season, there are girl's night out, $2 Tuesday ($2tix, $2parking, $2beer) and so many giveaways that it seems almost free. I love it and I won't bother driving to Denver to see the Major League version of baseball and all the ego's and expense account boors that go with it. We have free Irish music at a local Irish pub, great steak houses, good shopping, other types of local music, much more. Hiking, biking, rock climbing, horseback riding, parks, golfing, all in COL SPGS itself. Yes, Denver has more events, both big ticket and small, but I'm only 45-90 minutes away from them, and my house costs a lot less here than in the Denver area. It's cooler here than in the bowl that Denver sits it. We have cleaner air and less traffic too.

s/Mike

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-04-2007 at 10:51 AM..

Old 07-04-2007, 10:45 AM

2,755 posts, read 11,543,397 times
Well, Colorado Springs feels more like a suburbanized city, Fort Collins feels more like a somewhat overgrown college town. FC is a bit more expensive than COS, and is probably a bit more affluent overall as well. Most of the jobs in FC are either academic (CSU), tech, or biotech. CS has a lot of defense-related jobs. Both struggle with ups and downs in the job market. FC doesn't really have a lot of "bad" sections; CS does have a few (this is one way it's more city-like than FC). Both have revitalized downtown areas. Climate is roughly the same between the two. CS has the most beautiful mountain views; FC really doesn't; it's pretty flat.

Both are fairly distant from skiing -- in both cases you probably will end up driving through the Denver area on your way to skiing.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:32 PM

26,346 posts, read 81,018,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mes3fils View Post
Which one is closer to better skiing?
Use google maps to find the distances.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:45 PM

431 posts, read 2,506,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
Well, Colorado Springs feels more like a suburbanized city, Fort Collins feels more like a somewhat overgrown college town. FC is a bit more expensive than COS, and is probably a bit more affluent overall as well. Most of the jobs in FC are either academic (CSU), tech, or biotech. CS has a lot of defense-related jobs. Both struggle with ups and downs in the job market. FC doesn't really have a lot of "bad" sections; CS does have a few (this is one way it's more city-like than FC). Both have revitalized downtown areas. Climate is roughly the same between the two. CS has the most beautiful mountain views; FC really doesn't; it's pretty flat.

Both are fairly distant from skiing -- in both cases you probably will end up driving through the Denver area on your way to skiing.
If in Colorado Springs, I don't think I would go thro Denver. I would rather ski Monarch or go thro Leadville, beautiful country and less traffic. Yes it is kept open all winter. A great deal of the population in Leadville is connected to the ski industry. Oh yeah, Cooper Hill over Tenn.Pass, too. Copper Mt etc can be reached that way but Fremont pass is easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or