U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 01:58 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
If in Colorado Springs, I don't think I would go thro Denver. I would rather ski Monarch or go thro Leadville, beautiful country and less traffic. Yes it is kept open all winter. A great deal of the population in Leadville is connected to the ski industry. Oh yeah, Cooper Hill over Tenn.Pass, too. Copper Mt etc can be reached that way but Fremont pass is easier.
If you have kids or if you are learning, Ski Cooper is pretty good in the Leadville area. Really cheap. Excellent Ski School. (I can't believe I'm writing about skiing on July 4th.) No black diamond runs though. As mentioned above, route 24 from Colorado Springs to Leadville is a nice drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 01:58 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times
Both cities are growing "badly" with sprawl and its related problems. Colorado Springs probably the worse of the two in that regard. Crime-wise, most all of Fort Collins is pretty safe; a fair amount of Colorado Springs isn't. Over the years, I have visited both communities about the same amount, which is fairly frequently. I have never personally witnessed serious crime in Fort Collins; I have on more than one occasion in Colorado Springs. Traffic can be bad in both--Colorado Springs has some particularly congested areas.

I personally like the climate in Colorado Springs better than Fort Collins. Colorado Springs is a little wetter and a little cooler in summer than Fort Collins. In winter, Colorado Springs is probably slightly warmer with a little less snow. Colorado Springs definitely has a nicer setting than Fort Collins. Fort Collins is amid some very nice farming areas, which it is doing its best to devour with sprawl. Colorado Springs is surrounded by foothills on the west, and ranches to the east, both of which the Springs is doing its best to devour with sprawl.

Fort Collins has a nice downtown, overall. Colorado Springs' downtown has some nice areas, and some not so nice areas. Fort Collins wins this one, too.

If you want a LOCALE, Colorado Springs has one of the prettiest in the state for a big city, and has a very agreeable climate. But if you want a COMMUNITY that is a pleasant and relatively safe place to live, Fort Collins is the better choice. Forty years ago, I would have chosen Colorado Springs in a heartbeat. No more.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:10 PM

31 posts, read 58,633 times
Default Fort Collins or Colorado Springs?

Family of four- two young children-Dad is retired, Mom needs a job in Human Resources- which city would you move to and why?

Old 01-07-2009, 02:19 PM

566 posts, read 1,703,496 times
I looked at both before chooseing FC. I just never warmed up to The Springs. But my situation was different. I already had a source of income. Don't know what job opportunities are like down south, but the unemployment rate in FC is still relatively low. That being said it has always in recent years been a challenge to find work here. Lot of people are willing to take jobs below their skill/education level just to live in FC. I think an aggressive, sharp person will do OK, but it is a very individual thing.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobmw View Post
I looked at both before chooseing FC. I just never warmed up to The Springs. But my situation was different. I already had a source of income. Don't know what job opportunities are like down south, but the unemployment rate in FC is still relatively low. That being said it has always in recent years been a challenge to find work here. Lot of people are willing to take jobs below their skill/education level just to live in FC. I think an aggressive, sharp person will do OK, but it is a very individual thing.
Well, I will have my retirement money- (aprox: 3700/month/net) My wife will be looking for work. How is it for the kids.. I have a 5year old who is doing 2nd grade work and a one year old. We are a pretty young couple- 34 and 35. Is it hard to find friends? It has been for me, being young and not working.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:15 PM

3,553 posts, read 6,785,657 times
We looked at both pretty hard last year before settling on FoCo, actually bought in Loveland but there's little difference between the two. People I know with kids have praised the schools here and from what we've seen of their extracurricular programs, theatre and sports, we've been impressed.

I'm not sure how FoCo ranks as far as city parks goes but Loveland has plenty of them.

Come check us out before deciding.

golfgod

Old 01-09-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
We looked at both pretty hard last year before settling on FoCo, actually bought in Loveland but there's little difference between the two. People I know with kids have praised the schools here and from what we've seen of their extracurricular programs, theatre and sports, we've been impressed.

I'm not sure how FoCo ranks as far as city parks goes but Loveland has plenty of them.

Come check us out before deciding.

golfgod

Thanks for the info, I will be coming to visit next month

Old 01-09-2009, 02:17 PM

423 posts, read 1,774,600 times
I would look at both Loveland and Fort Collins. Fort Collins is more of a college town where Loveland more on the retirement community side. I don't think you will have any problems finding friends here. There is so much to do so lots of chances to get out and meet people. Jobs are getting harder to come by but an HR job might not be out of the question for your wife. Especially if she has experience. I would check out the websites of the bigger companies in the area to see if they are hiring. A couple to look at would be the city of fort collins, larimer county, kodak, the hospitals in the area, budweiser, woodward govenor, and CSU. Good luck.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:24 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,190,952 times
I am in Colo Spgs and just went up to that area today. I am pretty familiar on the southern end of the state, not the northern. I was surprised at how much agriculture there is...and dairy farm=smell. Wow! It's gotta be intense in the summer!! The cost of living seems to be doable up there and we asked a local where does everyone work. It looked like so many homes and no large industries to work. Guess we are used to Springs surrounded with military. Those who aren't in military are in IT, teaching, and other industrial jobs. More agriculture up there though huh? Good luck with your hunt! If you want more info on Springs, please post in that thread or PM me.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:27 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,348,297 times
You should look at Pueblo. Do to our warmer climate Pueblo is better then either Fort Collins or Colorado SPrings and the cost of living is lower. Here is a link to the Pueblo page:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/color...ml#post6736580
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or