U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:42 AM

2,755 posts, read 11,525,507 times

Advertisements

Fort Collins is a more pleasant town, but Springs has a more beautiful setting and a slightly more desirable climate.

Why do I say that Fort Collins is a more pleasant town? IMO it's much better maintained, has few (if any) bad or high crime sections, city parks are more expansive and better maintained (though nothing can compare to the garden of the gods), schools are uniformly good to excellent (though CS does have some great schools as well), it has a livelier downtown despite its smaller size, and it has the amenities of a major university. FC isn't big enough to have the big city problems that the springs has developed over the years, but has great amenities for a city of its size.

That's not to say Colorado Springs is bad -- it's very easy to find a nice area of Colorado Springs. And, as mentioned, there's no contest in terms of scenery. Climate is slightly warmer in winter, and slightly cooler in summer, with slightly less snow, though that shouldn't be a major factor.

Both share one major problem: they both are known for having tough job markets, especially compared to Metro Denver. Both have their share of jobs, including good jobs, but salaries are lower and jobs are a bit scarcer.

I'll speak to the comment above about the agricultural smell. The only place west of I-25 that I've really ever experienced an agricultural smell would be around the I-25/US-34 interchange in Loveland (around the outlet malls/etc). I've never noticed anywhere inside Fort Collins city limits, though perhaps I was used to it after living there for so long? The agricultural smell comes from Greeley, of course. The poster also implies that agriculture is the largest industrial sector in Northern Colorado. Except in Greeley (Swift), this is not the case -- CSU is the largest employer, followed by the big tech employers: HP, Aglient, Intel, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 03:39 PM

10 posts, read 35,275 times
Default Fort Collins or Colorado Springs?

Hello,
My family will be relocating to Colorado this summer. We have two kids, 12 and 7. I am unable to decide on CS or Ft Collins. Any advice would be great. Here's a little about us and what we are looking for.

We are a young family of 4 (in our 30's) two small kids.
We want a great community with family values and community events.
We want great schools.
We want to be active like boating, fishing, hunting (for the hubby), camping and hiking.
Shopping without having to drive "to town".
We will be renting.
I'm stay at home momma and my hubby is a foreman for a fire sprinkler co. which has work in CO so he will continue to work for them for now. He hopes to move up and work for a GC sometime as a superintendent.
The "college town" and "military town" are not big factors. Just which is more easy going with all the pluses. (asking too much??? hehe)
We're more conservative but I believe in the phrase "to each their own" and we are easy going, none judgmental types that appreciates learning experiences.

We have friends in both areas and we plan to fly out there and visit both areas but I would appreciate your feed back.

We can't wait to escape from SD where we are paying $1650 for a 2 bedroom condo that is less than 900 SQFT!

Old 05-14-2009, 03:40 PM

10 posts, read 35,275 times
Default Fort Collins or Colorado Springs

Hello,
My family will be relocating to Colorado this summer. We have two kids, 12 and 7. I am unable to decide on CS or Ft Collins. Any advice would be great. Here's a little about us and what we are looking for.

We are a young family of 4 (in our 30's) two small kids.
We want a great community with family values and community events.
We want great schools.
We want to be active like boating, fishing, hunting (for the hubby), camping and hiking.
Shopping without having to drive "to town".
We will be renting.
I'm stay at home momma and my hubby is a foreman for a fire sprinkler co. which has work in CO so he will continue to work for them for now. He hopes to move up and work for a GC sometime as a superintendent.
The "college town" and "military town" are not big factors. Just which is more easy going with all the pluses. (asking too much??? hehe)
We're more conservative but I believe in the phrase "to each their own" and we are easy going, none judgmental types that appreciates learning experiences.

We have friends in both areas and we plan to fly out there and visit both areas but I would appreciate your feed back.

We can't wait to escape from SD where we are paying $1650 for a 2 bedroom condo that is less than 900 SQFT!

Old 05-15-2009, 10:40 AM

88 posts, read 246,509 times
We lived in Colorado Springs from 2005-2006 and moved back to Texas (Austin). Which is one of the stupidest ideas we ever had. We did it to be closer to the family and we still think we should just stuck to our guns and stayed in Colorado.

The Springs is beautiful, has one of the best street systems, you can walk mostly anywhere in town, it is very pedestrian friendly, IMHO. After living here in Austin where they have very very few sidewalks (oh and they want to encourage people to walk here...geez), the Springs is wonderful. It is drier with some of the most beautiful scenery anywhere.

Now we are in Texas and have the opportunity to move back to either Colorado or New Mexico. Hubby has better chances of getting a job near Greeley/Loveland than anywhere in Santa Fe, so we are in a very ironic situation. Should we leave Austin where I have a soul-sucking job, hate my hour and a half commute, hate the drivers and air pollution, but i'm close to the family? Or should we move to Loveland/Greeley where it's much smaller cities...and IT'S COLORADO!!!

Decisions...decisions.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:17 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,257,716 times
I have to admit that I've experienced "the smell" in Ft. Collins proper at least a couple of times a year. It's infrequent enough that I would never consider not moving here because of it, but it can happen when the wind is from the east (which is much less common then westerly winds). I also read once that the smell actually comes from agricultural operations that are due east of Ft. Collins and not from Greeley (which always gets blamed but is apparently too far away for the stink to carry all of the way here).

I agree that Colorado Springs is more scenic then Fort Collins (honestly, Ft. Collins doesn't even come close), but it is also much much slanted to the right (as opposed to the Fort which averages out to be about as centrist as a place can be in this country).

Last edited by xeric; 05-15-2009 at 11:26 PM..

Old 05-17-2009, 12:12 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,525,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgrl78 View Post
Hello,
This is the Colorado Springs forum, so many posters here can tell you quite a bit about Colorado Springs. It's a nice town, and you can find everything you're looking for there.

For Fort Collins, it's several times smaller than the Springs, and it definitely feels it. It hasn't yet really acquired "big city problems" like a few parts of Colorado Springs has. It's definitely IMHO a more attractive town, if the setting is ignored. Of course, Colorado Springs has a magnificent mountain view, probably the best on the front range, with an array of natural wonders at your doorstep.

Both cities are close to Denver, so if you're looking for amenities that only a major metro offers, you're only about an hour away either direction. However, both cities definitely view themselves as quite separate from Denver. If you get any closer either direction though, you start to move into Denver's orbit, with most people commuting.

In reality, though, both cities really share the same drawback: it's tough to find good work in either one, and if you find it, it often pays noticeably lower than Denver. Not always, of course -- there are quite a few major employers in either and some do very well for themselves, but overall, it's tougher in both places, at least compared to Denver. For that reason, I'd strongly recommend you consider looking for work before moving, unless of course you're able to take your work with you.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:14 PM

5,011 posts, read 6,700,875 times
I went to college in Fort Collins. I always felt Colorado Springs was prettier and had more to offer, but I enjoyed the "college town" feel of Fort Collins. It is much smaller than Colorado Springs. Both cities have good schools.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:19 AM

13 posts, read 103,558 times
Default Fort Collins VS Colorado Springs for retired single?

Which town would be most comfortable and accepting of an active retired single?

Old 07-28-2009, 10:21 AM

12 posts, read 29,902 times
Colorado Springs is so religious. Its in something called the Church Belt. Fort Collins I think is better. We have too much crime down here. I will be going to college up there. See you later

Old 07-28-2009, 10:43 AM

20,336 posts, read 37,847,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newretiree View Post
Which town would be most comfortable and accepting of an active retired single?
COLO SPGS has a lot of retired military personnel, but I think either town would be fine.

s/Mike
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or