U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 10:03 AM

695 posts, read 1,655,539 times

Advertisements

Hi BrandyW,

I think both areas you are considering have many of the things for which you are looking, except maybe for the cultural diversity. Colorado State University in Fort Collins brings a little diversity, but when you start to get away from the campus you don't experience it as much. The military presence in Colorado Springs seems to contribute better to a cultural diversity than does the University in Fort Collins.

Good luck in your search!
Mike Weber
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 07:35 AM
pth

274 posts, read 327,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sally36 View Post
On Fri. and Sat. nites you take your respectability in your own hands; we've seen girls and guys peeing and defecating in plain sight in front of the stores and cafe's.
rofl

Old 03-05-2012, 02:37 PM

50 posts, read 155,604 times
Default Fort Collins area vs. Colorado Springs area.

If these were your two choices for a future move from out of State (Seattle area, in my case), which would you choose and why?

My wish list: mountain views, lakes/rivers, parks, hiking, small(ish) town feel, small communities surrounding you. With the exception of the small(ish) feel, I would think the two are fairly equal. Am I right?

Colorado Springs seems to have a lot of appeal to me simply because of the mountain views. The "big city" feel might be a bit unwelcome for me, but perhaps a practical feel of the city is different than a simple look at the population?

Fort Collins seems also to have a lot of appeal (perhaps even more) because of the smaller population, abundance of parks, seemingly higher number of lakes/rivers/ponds/etc from what I can see on Google Maps, and the Horsetooth Reservoir's outdoor recreation possibilities.

Can you help me find some differences to help a possible decision for a future move?

Old 03-05-2012, 03:31 PM

Default Which is windier: COS or FoCo?

Pretty self-explanatory question. I'm guessing FoCo is windier? If so, by how much?

Old 03-05-2012, 03:36 PM

Default The Front Range brown color...

Does CS or Fort Collins ever get green? I've spent a considerable amount of time looking at recent real estate listings and see basically everyone has a brown yard. Does the foliage/grass ever get green (spring or fall?), or does the arid climate and/or watering restrictions make even that difficult?

Old 03-05-2012, 04:31 PM

5,003 posts, read 6,678,903 times
We can be green in summer, but brown most of the rest of the year, relatively speaking. Things start to green in later March or April and things start to brown again mainly in October, but give it a margin of error. We sometimes have water restrictions which may prevent people from watering their lawns a lot which means lawns can be dead in summer, too, unless you plant according to our climate here, which most people don't. That has lead some people to give up on the idea of a lawn altogether moreso than what I remember when I was a kid.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:04 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,141,510 times
Not much as it's the high desert. There is some green around the Poudre in FoCo. Your grass will many stay green if you water it A LOT!
Spring is the only time it will be naturally green. Xeriscaping is quite popular though.

The Front Range is a world away from the PNW.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:02 AM

3,764 posts, read 7,197,784 times
SirLancelot, having lived in both Ft Collins & Manitou, a small village on the outskirts of ColoSpgs, both have a lot to offer. I loved FtCo for its hardwood tree-lined streets & access to cache la poudre area hiking. I loved Manitou for its great hill walks & access to garden of the gods,pike's peak climbs, & Poor Richards for books/coffee.

My recommendation is to visit both areas in summer & in winter to get a good feel. Now is a good time to chart wind speeds of both areas via weatherunderground or your favorite weather site. Spring winds are upon us in the rockies!

Old 03-06-2012, 02:48 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,511,378 times
As for wind speed -- both are fairly windy. From my subjective experience I'd say Fort Collins is slightly windier in town than the main part of Colorado Springs. That said, much of westside CS is pushed right up into the foothills which ordinarily is very windy, anywhere on the front range.

The whole front range is brown much of the year. From about October - April you have winter dormancy, and then from July - October you usually have brown due to aridity. Only in Spring is it consistently green. However, sometimes in especially wet years you will see it remain green into fall. In town, of course, persistent water and fertilizer can keep things green up to the first hard freeze.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:19 PM

60 posts, read 82,154 times
Beaches to snow,
Wondering if we are neighbors!

I have to say...

The one thing I did notice about Colorado that caused pause was that it is a bit "California-ish" which is probably why some hate to see more of us flock there!

Still, the state will likely have to tolerate at least one more Ca family relocating there!

Should have followed through with the relocation to Loveland in 95!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or