Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 03:07 PM

648 posts, read 2,940,734 times

Advertisements

Hey there- Being a native to Colorado Springs and having numerous friends that homeschool, I would say Colorado Springs. There are many non-denominational churches here. Woodmen Valley Chapel has a GREAT program for Youth. Young Life is also here aswell, which is really fun for kids. If you want more information I can get it from my friends who homeschool. I know that The Classical Academy, New Life Church and Colorado Springs Christian School have homeschool programs. Where you can send your children there for a few hours a week to get their Science and other stuff done. I know that the Classical Academy is free. SHEP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2006, 11:03 PM

14 posts, read 80,458 times
Default My Vote Is For The Springs

Hello,

I live in Colorado Springs and my best friend lives in Fort Collins - (and I have spent "months" visiting her.)

If you can't take the heat....stay out of Fort Collins.... there is a little banana belt in Fort Collins and I found that this summer temps ranged 10-15 degrees higher there than in the Springs. And it is no less humid than in the Springs. I do not have an air conditioner in the Springs but I know I couldn't live without one in Fort Collins.

For scenic value Springs is located right at the base of Pike's Peak and the mountains are beautiful....and it's difficult to find a house in the Springs without a view of them or the Peak. As a previous poster mentioned there are alot of things to do in the Springs area.

I don't believe you mentioned the age of your kids....but there is children's theater available, Santa's village, and a local zoo that let's you feed the giraffes. There are also alot of tourist type options in the Springs area. http://www.10best.com/Colorado_Sprin..._&_Activities/ (fort collins does not have an equivical site.)

On the other hand, if you have children nearing college age. Fort Collins has a larger state university; and is a typical college town. Most activities in the community are aimed at people in the college age range.

As far as church choices you don't mention the church to which you belong but the Springs is filled with choices for church from very liberal to very conservative (focus on the family is headquarted in the Springs.)

I have made the trip too many times and Denver is almost smack-dabb in the middle between the Springs and Fort Collins. Occasionally my friend and I meet in Denver for business meetings. Almost as far south of the Springs as Denver is also Pueblo. A poorer community. But nice trails to follow along the Arkansas river and a smaller zoo best suited for younger children. Also, about an hour away is the Royal Gorge...or travelling into the mountains will bring you to Mueller State Park and the Florrisant Fossil Beds....and many great outdoor trails. (about equidistant north of Fort Collins you find yourself in some pretty barren land and on the Wyoming border)

As far as schools are concerned in the Springs....general reputation is the better schools are in the north end of town....the less praised schools seem to be on the south end....in Fort Collins it seems to be more east west where the better schools seem to be east (80524) and less desired on the west (80525). Springs also being a far larger community has more education opportunities...and likely a greater spectrum. Also judging from a recent HS graduate in Ft Collins -- even very basic computer skills were lacking.

The healthcare system of Colorado Springs offers greater options than Ft Collins....as does shopping opportunities.

I've spent quite a lot of time in both communities. I hope this information helps.

Old 10-24-2006, 02:25 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax_Avatar
......a local zoo that let's you feed the giraffes.
See this very thing at: http://www.city-data.com/picfilesc/picc19255.php

s/Mike

Old 11-08-2006, 04:11 PM

117 posts, read 531,732 times
Hi Kali - we're back after an awesome trip - covered many miles! but...still totally confused! Spent more time in COS than elsewhere and narrowed our areas down to the Tri-Lake/northern part of COS, but like Manitou as well. Loved the scenery, didn't get to meet enough people to get a feel for the community. Fell in love with Frisco - outside Breckenridge, but don't think I could survive that many months of snow - very tempting if we did not have kids ( even though we hs) - still not going to write it off completely. Morrison/Golden looked interesting, a little more expensive and then FORT COLLINS - the big question really is between the two and....we are doing our research and still no light. We were initially not impressed with the visual aspect of Ft Collins, being so flat. Drove through Loveland to Estes Park which was pretty, but not quite the same as COS. Plenty of restaurants downtown and a pleasant Friday night buzz. Too short a visit to form an opinion, did chat to some fun people. Seemed to be less street people in FTCollins, with many noticeable in downtown COS over the weekend. Many posts answer the questions about house prices, etc but few about the flavour of the communities specifically and what type of people are drawn to one of the other - I would love to know why those living in Ft Collins would choose it over COS- or do we start with Ft Collins with a college bound 15 year old and move later if we don't fit in? maybe a caravan is the answer. Would love to hear from others WHY they choose where they live..

Last edited by oceankidz; 11-08-2006 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: spelling!

Old 11-08-2006, 04:51 PM

137 posts, read 774,518 times
We live in the Tri-Lakes area (north of CS) and LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT. I homeschooled for 3 years, and there are TONS of people who homeschool here. Ft. Collins might have more parties for your teenagers, though (wink, nudge). We go to Tri-Lakes Chapel if you do end up in the area- it's nice to be a part of a smaller community. We're just a few minutes from town, but it's the kind of place where you always run into several people that you know at the grocery store. Plus, it's gorgeous. My husband and I both have lived in the Springs our whole lives, and we've lived just about everywhere in town- Tri-Lakes is definately our favorite spot!

Old 01-13-2007, 10:59 AM

20 posts, read 113,368 times
Default Colorado Springs or Fort Collins?

I am looking into relocating to Colorado Springs or the Fort Collins area in the next year or so. I have a wife and 3 children. I travel around the country/world for my job and my wife will soon be a RN. Here are the basics we are looking for:

*Low crime
*Friendly people / neighbors
*Good schools
*Large lots, 2+ acres (possible horse property)
*Nearby outdoor recreational opportunities

Any help is appreiciated!

Old 01-13-2007, 11:43 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Both locations are excellent choices for your list.

Super hospitals with regional best ratings, both cities.

Tax rates, cost of living, etc., very comparable.

Neighborhoods, schools, crime rates, "downtown" commercial district, restaurants, shopping, box stores, all excellent. Outdoor activities are on your doorstep.

Mountains are virtually on the west end of town, and all outdoor related activites are very close for both cities. Great access to the "back country" for any thing ... hiking, biking, camping, hunting, fishing, cabins, wilderness areas.

Resorts, golf courses, municipal parks, open spaces, equine activity, all very strong in both places.

The flavor of the towns, however, is a little different.

CSprings ... is an "old money" area of Colorado, where extractive industries, tourism, commerce, etc., began in the region. Development has been a little more planned, and it's got a lot of surrounding residential neighborhoods that have been well thought out. Large military/industrial complex there.

FortFun ... is a newer developed area. A little more agrarian based, it's development took off only more recently as the Boulder area built out and expanded. It's development hasn't been planned as well, but it does have a high-tech presence along with the CSU complex ... CSU (formerly the home of Colorado A&M) expanded into the computer sciences and high tech some years ago and has been a magnet for industry coming into the area in addition to being a world class AG school/research facility. It's home to one of two USA plant genetic storage/research facilites, among other world class AG/Vet studies.

So, you'll get much more of a Univ town grown into a bustling city feeling in the core of FtFun.

Traffic density is a toss-up ... both places are seeing too much traffic at times for the roads to carry.

Transportation outbound? CSprings has a lot of commercial flights out of a moderately sized, convenient commercial/GA airport. If you've got to do a lot of air travel, it's probably the better choice. FtFun has a modest GA airport (FtLove), with industry located adjacent and a few commercial regional flights daily; you'll be driving to DIA for almost all of your flights (which isn't that terribly far away, but it's not as convenient as CSprings.)

Like Boating? Good lakes close by both towns.

Housing costs pretty comparable.

IMO, you'd do well to see what the job market/offers are for you and decide on that basis. You can't go wrong with either city.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:34 PM

20 posts, read 113,368 times
Thank you so much for all the information you provided. Very helpful and much appreciated!

Old 01-15-2007, 12:18 AM

155 posts, read 284,942 times
We are coming to CO in March to check out houses.... we are also having the Fort Collins vs. CO Springs as well.

CO Springs has an awesome church atmosphere and you can see Pikes Peak from town, which is great. One of our concerns is traffic, the other one is that the town is looking a bit older, certain areas look like downtown Orlando now (run down/old/drity), but smaller. Some look downright scary. True, we got a bit lost in CO Springs and that is stressful, but I don't know....

We like FC because it's smaller, but can we find legal support (Paralegal/Legal Secretary) jobs there??

Honestly, I have been having trouble finding legals jobs on either city.... any attorneys/law firms hiring experienced support staff???

Old 01-15-2007, 08:56 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Why not think about Cheyenne, WY just a few miles north of Fort Collins? Really beautiful state, low cost of living, friendly people, not as populated and congested as CO, AND closer to Yellowstone!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado