U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2006, 11:32 AM

9 posts, read 46,151 times

Advertisements

So Im still looking around and a friend said they have been to Fort Collins and really liked it, so could I have some help comparing the Springs and Ft Collins.

1. Jobs; How are jobs in the IT field? I have an associates degree in Information Technology. Any big companies in Ft Collins that I should know about?

2. People; What are the people like? Are there alot of good people in both cities?
I haven't heard much on Ft Collins, its not like a retirement community is it? Because im 21 and I don't want to hang out with a bunch of grandpas.

3. Climate; So I kind of have a feel for the weather in CO Springs from here but how does the weather in Fort Collins compare? More/Less snow, Hotter/Colder, Plenty of sunshine?

4. Recreation; Im assuming recreation is kind of the same in both places, but you know what they say about making assumptions. Are there plenty of trails for hiking and biking, rivers for rafting, lakes for fishing, mountions for ski/snowboarding and snowmobiling?

One last thing are there snow caped mountains in the background in Ft Collins, because I know the Springs have Pikes Peak.

Edit: I just found their news paper the Coloradoan, so this will help but I would still appreciate your opinions and input.

Last edited by Enigma; 07-17-2006 at 11:47 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2006, 09:00 AM

20,308 posts, read 37,797,930 times
Talking They both are rated "BEST" by Money Magazine

Money Magazine has rated Fort Collins as the best "small" city in the country. See: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...100/index.html

They also rated Colorado Springs as best "big" city. See:
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...bigcities.html

Either one you pick, you win.

s/Mike

Old 07-22-2006, 03:26 PM

10 posts, read 57,641 times
Default Ft. Collins

Just a little information from somebody who is familiar with Ft. Collins...Ft. Collins is awesome! I have family who live there and I have visited frequently over the past 10 years. They really love it. There is a great mixture of people and it's very open and friendly. There is always a lot to do and they have a great downtown/old town area with cool shops that attract all different kinds of people. There are mountains to the west that are in view from most places and there are plenty of trails available for walking/hiking. The city is also very cycle-friendly as there are bike lanes on virtually every street. I have decided to move there in June 07 because it is a great mixture of young/old people and is pretty laid back. CSU is also in Ft. Collins so there are plenty of younger people around. However, there are also plenty of established neighborhood areas.

I don't have as much information about Colorado Springs. However, I have heard that there are a lot of VERY conservative christians as the town is the base for Focus on the Family. It seems to be significantly less liberal than Ft. Collins. (PLEASE don't yell at me if I described this incorretly! That's just the impression that I have gotten from reading all of the posts around this forum!)

Good Luck,
Beth

Old 07-22-2006, 07:36 PM

8 posts, read 64,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth
Just a little information from somebody who is familiar with Ft. Collins...Ft. Collins is awesome! I have family who live there and I have visited frequently over the past 10 years. They really love it. There is a great mixture of people and it's very open and friendly. There is always a lot to do and they have a great downtown/old town area with cool shops that attract all different kinds of people. There are mountains to the west that are in view from most places and there are plenty of trails available for walking/hiking. The city is also very cycle-friendly as there are bike lanes on virtually every street. I have decided to move there in June 07 because it is a great mixture of young/old people and is pretty laid back. CSU is also in Ft. Collins so there are plenty of younger people around. However, there are also plenty of established neighborhood areas.

I don't have as much information about Colorado Springs. However, I have heard that there are a lot of VERY conservative christians as the town is the base for Focus on the Family. It seems to be significantly less liberal than Ft. Collins. (PLEASE don't yell at me if I described this incorretly! That's just the impression that I have gotten from reading all of the posts around this forum!)

Good Luck,
Beth
thats funny, I'm thinking about Fort Collins next summer as well!

I read the whole cnn money thing, and it sure seems like a great place. I'm thinking of either Ft Collins or Boulder because of the fact that they're college towns (I want to go back to school for my MBA in the next few years, and have read that both are strong schools).

Do you have any info on the whole "real world" there, away from CSU?

I'm going to be 25 next year, and got my undergrad degree in Marketing from FSU. I am pretty qualified to work in basically any business industry right now, so I'm just wondering if there's a good selection of insurance, finance, banking, etc. type of jobs in the area?

Old 07-22-2006, 07:41 PM

8 posts, read 64,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma

3. Climate; So I kind of have a feel for the weather in CO Springs from here but how does the weather in Fort Collins compare? More/Less snow, Hotter/Colder, Plenty of sunshine?

I've never been to Colorado before, but in my research, I've found that they (FTC) get about 296 days with some sun (that means about 6 cloudy days per month on average!), average about 42 degrees in the winter (I've heard that all the weather along the front range is very unpredictable-it could be 20 degrees one day, and 3 days later it could be close to 50), and it looks like they get about 50 inches of snow.

In colorado springs they get much less snow.

Old 07-25-2006, 07:40 AM

649 posts, read 2,649,322 times
Colorado Springs has a mixture of political views. I would say 50/50. I have lived here, in the Springs, all of my life. I love it. I am not sure of the IT in Ft. Collins, but in the Springs it is very strong. You can usually post your resume on Monster or Dice.com and get some interviews out of it.
There is ALOT to do for the outdoors. My husband mountain bikes about 15 minutes away from our house a couple times a week. We hike, fish, camp etc. You get to wake up to beautiful Pikes Peak every morning! www.coloradopsrings.com can give you some more information. If you have any questions you can ask away! SHEP

Old 08-18-2006, 04:56 PM

1 posts, read 11,344 times
I grew up in Loveland, went to CSU and lived in Fort Collins for years, then moved to Boulder and now live in Longmont. Longmont is wonderful as it has a "small town" feel but none of the Boulder attitude. Boulder has become quite elitist, and the housing is just incredibly high. Longmont is inching up, but is still affordable. The beauty of this area is that you are close to everything-mountains, Denver, Boulder and you're only 30 minutes from Fort Collins.

However, I have to say that of all of the places Fort Collins is my favorite. My husband and I are looking to move back up there next year if it's possible. It's very family oriented, the people are lovely (MUCH less pretentious than in Boulder) and there is alot to do. My children love it whenever we visit (my mother lives there) and are excited at the possibility of going.

It's a great place as a single, as there are plenty of outdoorsy things to do, yet the nightlife is fun-great food, dance clubs, theater, live music venues (The Aggie, Mishawaka in the summer) and the University often has alot of wonderful events as well. The summers have amazing festivals-Brewfest, NewWest Fest, etc. I loved living there when I was young and single.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:46 AM

393 posts, read 1,713,116 times
Rebecca, I am looking to relocate to Loveland/Fort Collins area......??? I am wondering what the outlook is for 50yr old singles? I know the area is colleged aged, but I have no problem with that, I would just like to feel comfortable in my environment. Are u familiar with the property management companies in Loveland? I contacted one of them last year and sent them an application and they did a search on me, and told me they would be glad to rent out to me, but I saw the places on the outside and I kind of wonder about them.....I am in NC and can't get out there to see the insides or to know how reputable these people are. Can't give out their website on here, but can PM them to you, I imagine there aren't that many places.

Old 08-29-2006, 05:02 PM

4 posts, read 22,122 times
Default Fort Collins vs Colorado Springs

Can anyone help me compare the two cities? D-20 schools in CO Springs or Poudre schools in Ft. Collins? What kind of neighborhood can you get into in Ft Collins for $300,000(maximum) What part of Fort Collins should I avoid(crime,drugs). I've kinda narrowed Briargate down for CO Springs but don't know the same about Ft Collins. ANY help would be greatly appreciated! Thank You

Old 09-18-2006, 01:38 AM

171 posts, read 769,421 times
Default Hubby likes Ft Collins, Wife likes Colorado Springs...Help us please!

Help us please.
My husband loves boating, camping, family weekend adventures, access to the airport, etc.
I enjoy it too, but worry more over good schools, less snow, daily stuff for little kids to do etc.... (We both care about both, but are not sure which is the best fit for us)

How do those two cities compare, so that we may decide in our short upcoming visit to CO, where to look? what to look for? and which to choose?

We are getting excited about relocating.....please if you have any information to help us it would be much appreciated!
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or