U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 06:40 AM

68 posts, read 284,945 times

Advertisements

Love what I see and hear about silverton so far. A lot going on it seems like and an actual "real" town. What are surrounding areas? My map websites have problems so its hard for me to see anything. What are the job situations like? Are there a lot of outdoor activites in the summer like montain biking trails? What about housing? Where should/can I look? Nearest "big" city? Before I go to an in-depth research, what do you guys think? I love snow and want lots of it!! This seems like the place with lots of festivals and activities going on... Let me know! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 06:52 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,659,082 times
I think you have a lot more research to do.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:24 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,783,192 times
Silverton--essentially no jobs in winter since the mines have pretty much been closed most of the last 25 years. Summer jobs for tourist shops pandering to passengers arriving daily on the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad trains. Approximately 400 full-time residents in San Juan County. Closest towns of any size are Durango--50 miles to the south over two mountain passes, and Montrose approximately 60 miles north over one of the most treachorous passes (Red Mountain Pass) in the state. Both routes in and out of Silverton run through numerous avalanche paths, and winter slides that close the road (and kill people driving on the roads periodically) are common in winter. It takes special "character" to live in Silverton, and most of the full-time residents are old-line natives and "long-timers" used to the rigorous, stark, and austere living conditions there. I've spent a lot of time there over the years, and seriously considered moving there to work in the mining industry before silver mining collapsed in the early 1980's. Some of the friends I made during that era still live there, but most have had to move elsewhere to work. There is a small ski area there for "extreme skiers." Snow? Well, a couple of weeks ago they had close the area for a few days because the snow was up over the chairs on the chairlift. Also, the snowslide danger was off the charts. I talked to one of my friends up there a few days ago, and the snow was about 6 feet deep on the level in town. The roads in and out of town had been closed for a couple of days, and the town was about out of beer, whiskey, and cigarettes--a serious situation for Silverton. They've since got the roads open and "re-stocked."

Old 01-08-2009, 08:58 AM

20,842 posts, read 39,059,222 times
No way would I recommend Silverton to you, unless you want to be isolated most of the winter and pestered in summer by tourists coming in on the train. I was there just before Thanksgiving and yes, it's ungodly beautiful up there but there's just nothing there. If you want snow and festivals and something to do most of the year, and not pay millions to live in a ritzy ski area, then look at Buena Vista. You could even look just west of COLO SPGS, up in Woodland Park, or Divide, Cascade, Cripple Creek (gambling town), etc. Good mountain living, plenty of snow, near enough to I-25 to have access to lots to do.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:04 AM

okay thanks... I read in another forum that it was a fun town with 9,000 people... then read that they have a population of only 1500... Thats why these posts help me out... thanks-

Old 01-08-2009, 09:31 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,783,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njstinks0622 View Post
okay thanks... I read in another forum that it was a fun town with 9,000 people... then read that they have a population of only 1500... Thats why these posts help me out... thanks-
1,500 would be if they counted all the part-time residents, most of the dogs, some of the marmots, and a few people in the cemetery. The county is around 400 full-time residents, with most of those living in the town of Silverton.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:09 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,529,511 times
I believe Silverton has the shortest growing season in the continental USA at two weeks a year without freezes. I remember last time I was there it was snowing in July. Not heavy but flurries were coming down.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:19 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,659,082 times
I recall riding from Durango and through snow on Coal Bank & Molas passes, and descending into Silverton while being pelted by sleet on a few Memorial Day weekends doing the Iron Horse bike race...epic, but not fun.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:07 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,838,766 times
I've often thought that it would be a cool experience to spend about 2 weeks living in Silverton in the middle of the winter just to experience the isolation, the snow, & the short days. As for living there fulltime, I wouldn't want to do it. Even in late July, getting in and out of there is somewhat challenging going over the passes. As for making a living there....I wouldn't have a clue. But a two week experience. That would be cool!

Shuffler....I was passing thru Silverton enroute to Durango, probably on that same Memorial day weekend ( 2007 ) that you were there. I remember the bike race, the sleet, and being cold as all get out. Then the sun would break thru for a few minutes and I'd feel too hot. I'd peel off a few layers, then quickly put them back on when the sun disappeared behind the next cloud five minutes later. There was just no way to feel truly comfortable. I also remember the flyer about Beer in the window of the local brewery. I don't recall the specifics, but it made beer seem like the healthiest substance on the planet with all of the healthy ingredients and health benefits it provides. Have you been to the pub for your health drink today?

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 01-08-2009 at 11:22 AM..

Old 01-08-2009, 12:45 PM

id definitely like to go there and spend a whole winter with that said. Living here in NJ, all i want is to be away from everything and everyone with lots of snow, a fireplace and every movie i could think of. My gf and I would be well rested haha. I Definitely would not settle there but that would be an awesome experience. Im looking for a cool long-term town to live in or just outside near the town and still have access to jobs and some sort of marketplace. Somewhere to shop and visit mostly when "cabin fever" kicks in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado