U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 09:29 AM

Location: Southern California native, last 20 yrs in Milwaukee Wisc.
1,201 posts, read 3,405,259 times

Advertisements

Can't believe some of these posts... folks want to move to a place with alot of raccoons, because they're "cute". Good grief.
Raccoons are destructive, will fight, kill, or injure other domesticated pets like dogs and cats, and carry an array of parasites and diseases. A little rabies is always lovely. They will wreck gardens, etc. Here they live under peoples porches/decks,and in the storm sewers. Better than the skunks I suppose only because they don't stink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 09:59 AM

41 posts, read 198,851 times
you are welcome to mine.. I currently have several that have decided the deck outside my bedroom/the roof directly above my bedroom is the place to hang out and party of an evening.. they're driving my poor dog crazy, I'm out there in the snow looking like a nutcase throwing shoes at them in my PJ's at midnight lol I think its a game to them.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:28 PM

83 posts, read 330,089 times
Default Love these little rascals?

Does anybody out there have any stories about raccoon stories? I want to move to some place that has a lot of them, they are here in Los Angeles, I have made friends with two families of the little darlings

Old 03-07-2007, 03:47 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,859,068 times
Try doing a search. There are a couple stories here.
I lived in the heart of Denver and saw raccoons regularly.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:05 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,181,409 times
When we were living up in Maine, I went out to the big dumpster, flung the bag in there, and heard something more than just bag hitting bottom.

I tippy-toed and looked down in there to see these two adorable, scared little faces (huddled together in the corner) looking up at me! I ran & got the camera after calling animal control. Took 2 rolls (which didn't turn out, didn't want flashes in their eyes and trusted some sunlight would help :>(

Poor things couldn't escape, as there was no trash to step up on! I was sooo thanking goodness I saw them before the next trash pick-up, in case there wouldn't be trash accumulated high enough for them to get out by then. (This dumpster had no bottom door.)

He came & got them out and, BOY, were they POed before geting chucked back into their woods!! They're adorable, but are very, very nasty little critters, indeed! The guy couldn't warn us enough. So take care, and try not to ever get too close - nothing more defensive than a wild critter! And beware of rabies.
I'll always peek in a dumster now before ever chucking anything in there :>)

Old 03-08-2007, 02:40 AM

476 posts, read 2,123,771 times
My friend in Durango, Colorado had this raccoon family with babies and mom who lived under her neighbors deck. You could once in a while see a baby dart out to be scolded by mom to get back under the deck until night. The other neighbors hummingbird feeders would often be empty and they thought the little hummers sure were hungry. The feeders were up on branches in trees but the neighbors found out that the the bandits were responsible for climbing up the trees and shaking the feeders until they were empty and then they would lick up all the sugar water on the ground. Once a bald eagle was trying to snatch a baby raccoon for a meal but mom raccoon would grab her babies and put them under the deck. They are smart little buggars but they got a nasty temper, be careful with them, they can change their attitude on a dime. All of them are divas!

By the way, Colorado has bald eagles so be careful if you have a tiny dog like a Yorkie, dont leave it unattended. Eagles can swoop them up and eat them. Best to keep the toy dogs inside and take them out to do their thing with them or else get a big dog.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:19 AM

431 posts, read 2,559,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ioneoskay View Post
Does anybody out there have any stories about raccoon stories? I want to move to some place that has a lot of them, they are here in Los Angeles, I have made friends with two families of the little darlings
You really do need your head examined. I don't want them to become extinct but---------they do carry parasites, rabies, kill domestic animals. It is against the law to feed wild animals in this state. Coons will become aggressive when you make pets of them and then stop, then they have to be distroyed. They are wild animals. Let them remain wild animals, they are not pets. We have many wild animals here and people make mistakes of thinking it so cute to have them come into their yards and be like pets. Then they complain when the preditors follow. Why do you undo what Mother Nature intented. I love to watch wild life too. But in the wild state when they belong. The closest I come to feeding the wild are birds and squirrels (so they leave the bird feeders alone.) And I have to bring in the feeders every night because of coons and deer. I have even had one challenge me one evening when I was taking them down. We have to put up electric fences to keep them out of our veg. garden. I really think hunters need to start hunting them here again. Because they are becoming nuisiances. I do not believe in hunting unless the meat is used or the animal is causing problems. These coons are causing problems. Rubber bullets are not working.

Last edited by Nadine; 03-08-2007 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: mistake

Old 03-08-2007, 01:50 PM

4,798 posts, read 4,901,271 times
I live in C Springs next to a park with a year round running creek. The raccoons are everywhere; they used to visit my deck at night before we got a dog. Now they stay out of our yard, but I think you will find them everywhere in Colorado near water.

We had friends that USED to have a fish pond outside. The little rascals cleaned him out.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:18 AM

639 posts, read 3,235,741 times
Default Raccoon Families

I really think raccoons are a nuisance too. I live in New Hampshire and a few years ago we had a funny thing happen to us. We have a gas log fireplace and one time we were having a party and my uncle wanted us to light the fireplace to see how it worked, because he was thinking of getting one installed. Well we lit it and all of a sudden we heard this unbelievable growl. So we shut the gas off completely and as we did the growling stopped. Well we banged on the metal grate and the growling started up again, REALLY loud. All my guests came in to the living room to see what was going on because it was unbelievable when it first happened! You have to realize; we're all from Boston originally and all the people at the house that day were right from the heart of the city, so to all of us? We thought it was the WEIRDEST thing we ever heard in our entire lives, just SO strange!

The guests all left the house and we sat there thinking, well, we HAVE to do something about this "thing" in the fireplace. So we ended up calling the Animal Control Officer in town. He arrived the very next day promptly at 6PM because he was able to use his "state" license then; rather than his "town" license. (Whatever!!!) So he arrived, climbed his ladder up onto the roof and peeked in to the chimney and all of a sudden he yelled down to us "Well folks IT definitely isn't Santa Claus down there, you got company!" "It's a raccoon with her tiny little baby down there!" Afterwards he set a trap with food in it on the roof and he left it there for the night and told us that we better put something strong in front of the fireplace because if that critter gets inside the house in the middle of the night, then we're ALL up a creek WITHOUT a paddle. So we covered the whole front of the fireplace with a backboard from my sons basketball hoop and we used three good size cinder blocks on each side to make sure it was going to stay there good. (I was a basket case sleeping that night!) The very next morning there was all kinds of commotion on the roof, banging and this loud continuous racket. The raccoon got caught in the trap good. In the meantime, the baby raccoon was crying like crazy for the mother and it was all day long AND I mean all day long that this went on for! By this time, I'm in work and I kept getting phone calls all day long that the banging on the roof was incredible and the poor little baby's crying was even more horrendous listening to it. Finally, that night promptly at 6PM the Animal Control Officer arrived with his truck and gear and he was able to calm the mother raccoon down with his long needle of some sort that he gave it and he got the critter in the trap right to his truck in the driveway, then he came back to the house in to the living room, he knelt down and reached up and removed the metal grate and he got the little baby raccoon out of the fireplace. The mother raccoon only had one little tiny baby. They evidently have more than that and he said 9 times out of 10 it's because they're rabied raccoons if they only have one. He left here and took the mother and baby away with him. We had the chimney fixed REALLY good that night; there's no more visitors any more, not even Santa Claus!

We evidently have a ton of raccoons all over the northeast region. I personally think they're a big nuisance myself and they always were in my book! If you like these little rascals, then be my guest, you can certainly have them all you want, may be you could keep them out right at your neck of the woods and you can always come and take ours up here in New England if you'd like while you're at it!

Old 03-10-2007, 08:47 AM

86,889 posts, read 102,319,187 times
We have raccoons here in Louisville. We have an above-ground pool and had a little wading pool next to it so people could clean off their feet before getting into the pool. One night, we left the wading pool out with the funnoodles in it and the raccoons wrecked the pool and tried to eat the noodles! They seemed to prefer the ones from Wal-Mart over the ones from Big Lots. They have also eaten our ripe sweet corn the night before we were going to pick it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or