U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 6,261 times

Advertisements

We purchased a property 10 miles east of colorado city, 35 acres and need to install a fence around it. Yellow pages do not show any contractors in the town. Where must we go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2006, 10:04 PM

1,313 posts, read 4,955,719 times
You may want to check with some of the Pueblo home builders to see if they can recommend someone for you. It's not that far to Colorado City so they may know someone close in.

Also check with the Pueblo Home Builders Association: http://www.homebuilderspueblo.org/bf/website/index.jsp (broken link) That's about the best I think you may find from here.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:03 PM

307 posts, read 707,141 times
Are you sure you want to install a fence around the 35 acres?

Doing so could change your tax base dramatically.

Be sure to check into this thoroughly before you decide.

Old 10-03-2006, 08:10 PM

108 posts, read 193,053 times
It may be zoned for agriculture with a cattle grazing lease which makes the yearly property taxes quite low, e.g., $10/yr. If you fence it off that *may* change.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:05 PM
CJS

5 posts, read 19,788 times
Default Colorado City, Rye, Beulah....What can you tell me?

I am currently seeking employment in Pueblo, and plan to move to the area. However, I'd like to live "out in the country." I enjoy the outdoors, and want to be away from the hustle and bustle of a larger town. I'm trying to limit my commute to work to 30-45 minutes. Can anyone tell me about Colorado City, Rye, or Beulah? I am considering these areas to live.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:35 PM

1 posts, read 7,431 times
Default Greenhorn Valley is a great place to live

I live in Colorado City, which together with Rye, makes up the Greenhorn Valley. It's a great place to live. If you are a golfer, we have a nationally recognized 27-hole course. There is plenty of hiking, fishing and camping within just a few minutes.
A new modern grocery store with a great selection and competitive prices was opened the first week of February.
There is high speed Internet and digital cable available via fiber optics to about 80% of the homes in the area. Best Internet service I have ever experienced!
Schools are good.
Summer population is around 5500, winter is somewhere around 4500.
Beulah, too, is a nice community, but they lack the services available in the Greenhorn Valley and are on a small country highway. Rye and Colorado City have easy access to Interstate 25 and, from the Colorado City exit to the southern most Pueblo exit, the distance is 20 miles, about a 15 minute drive. You can be anywhere in Pueblo from the valley in 25 minutes.
If you have any other questions, email me at greg_P_hood at hotmail dot com

Old 04-12-2007, 06:21 PM

8,177 posts, read 16,235,975 times
Rye, Colorado City, and Beulah are pretty communities. Be aware of a couple of things. Services in all are fairly limited. You will be going to Pueblo for most things (besides food) that you will need. Rye sits in an area that is prone to get periodic significant (2' plus of snow at a time) winter storms. Beulah sits in a more forested area, with some parts of it vulnerable to forest fires. Beulah also had significant drought-related water supply problems a few years back. I guess the other thing that I would mention is distance. Like many other areas in Colorado, living in Beulah, Rye, or Colorado City almost certainly means a 40-60 mile round trip commute every day to work. For many, that doesn't seem like much. But let gas prices go to $4.00 or more per gallon and those commutes will be much more painful. My personal opinion is that, within a few years, declining fuel supplies and skyrocketing prices will make such commutes increasingly unaffordable. That, of course, will deflate the currenlty overheated real estate markets, markets currently fed by cheap fuel and relatively abundant incomes.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:12 PM

8,248 posts, read 13,508,062 times
Experience from someone who lives there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphood View Post
I live in Colorado City, which together with Rye, makes up the Greenhorn Valley. It's a great place to live. If you are a golfer, we have a nationally recognized 27-hole course. There is plenty of hiking, fishing and camping within just a few minutes.
A new modern grocery store with a great selection and competitive prices was opened the first week of February.
There is high speed Internet and digital cable available via fiber optics to about 80% of the homes in the area. Best Internet service I have ever experienced!
Schools are good.
Summer population is around 5500, winter is somewhere around 4500.
Beulah, too, is a nice community, but they lack the services available in the Greenhorn Valley and are on a small country highway. Rye and Colorado City have easy access to Interstate 25 and, from the Colorado City exit to the southern most Pueblo exit, the distance is 20 miles, about a 15 minute drive. You can be anywhere in Pueblo from the valley in 25 minutes.
If you have any other questions, email me at greg_P_hood at hotmail dot com
Someones OPINION:

Quote:
Rye, Colorado City, and Beulah are pretty communities. Be aware of a couple of things. Services in all are fairly limited. You will be going to Pueblo for most things (besides food) that you will need. Rye sits in an area that is prone to get periodic significant (2' plus of snow at a time) winter storms. Beulah sits in a more forested area, with some parts of it vulnerable to forest fires. Beulah also had significant drought-related water supply problems a few years back. I guess the other thing that I would mention is distance. Like many other areas in Colorado, living in Beulah, Rye, or Colorado City almost certainly means a 40-60 mile round trip commute every day to work. For many, that doesn't seem like much. But let gas prices go to $4.00 or more per gallon and those commutes will be much more painful. My personal opinion is that, within a few years, declining fuel supplies and skyrocketing prices will make such commutes increasingly unaffordable. That, of course, will deflate the currenlty overheated real estate markets, markets currently fed by cheap fuel and relatively abundant incomes.
See the difference?

So gphood, you sound like you're from North Platte or something. Welcome to the forum.

You know, after the sky falls and gas prices go to $40,000.00/quart, I'm gonna have to move TO Colorado City because I work there and live IN Pueblo. Isn't that backwards?

Old 04-13-2007, 09:00 AM

130 posts, read 827,491 times
We lived just outside Beulah for 5 years before moving to the Western Slope. We found the area to be very beautiful, and the drive in to Pueblo for services was easy, since US 78 has very light traffic nearly all the time.

If you're looking for a very small town and/or country living with a 30 minute drive to a city, this is a great place to be. We were amazed at the number of people we met who said they couldn't imagine living anyplace else, or the ones we met who said they had grown up in Beulah and would love to go back (but finding a job in the area was preventing them).

But if you've found the job in Pueblo, you've got that aspect solved.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:00 AM

432 posts, read 1,879,951 times
Colorado City is too suburban for me. People living in one another's back pockets. But if that is what you like then there is the place. Beulah and Rye are more rural, some homes are close but not like Colorado City. Also closer into the mountains. Colorado City sits more onto the prairie and is more populated. Beulah did have water problems because of the drought that lasted around 10 yrs. Colorado's water all comes from the snow pack one way or another. We do not get water from any other state. So when the streams etc dried up, Beulah lost it's water. Some on wells still had water and some didn't. This is not a usual thing. It may have happened before, I just don't remember if it did. Also there are more people using the water than there used to be. But to be honest. They are not the only ones. Many people were hauling water, during the drought, not just Beulah .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado