U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 02:40 PM

4 posts, read 24,510 times

Advertisements

Hoping for a little advice, i will be driving to Leadville in February from Texas, and was wondering the best route? On a map it looks like 50 out of Pueblo to 24 is the shortest, but being a novice how is this road in the winter or would i be better off going all the way around Denver? Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 02:45 PM

6,550 posts, read 10,254,632 times
Where in TX are you coming from? February is typically a wet month precipitation-wise and if you want the most frequently traveled and maintained route you'd be better off sticking with I-70 to Highway 91 at Copper Mountain.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:49 PM

I will be coming from Houston, i like shortcuts and it looks like it could save 80-100 miles,

Old 01-13-2009, 02:52 PM

6,550 posts, read 10,254,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supra24ssv View Post
I will be coming from Houston, i like shortcuts and it looks like it could save 80-100 miles,
It could definitely save time but I'd personally only do it if the roads were good because it's pretty desolate country between Poncha Springs and Leadville. Sliding off into the ditch in no-man's land would be a pain in the rear.

Are you coming up to D/FW and taking 287 into southeastern Colorado?

Old 01-13-2009, 08:08 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,035,979 times
Wink Us 24

The shortest route from Houston, TX to Leadville, CO is directly through Amarillo, TX, then to Trinidad, CO, thence north on I-25. At Pueblo, CO head west on US 50 through Salida, CO to turn north on US 285. Turn off on US 24 to travel through Buena Vista, CO, thence directly into Leadville.

If memory serves the only pass of any consequence on such a route Raton Pass on I-25 between the border of New Mexico and Colorado. In truly inclement weather this pass can be closed briefly, but plenty of good lodging options in Raton, NM. If the weather is awful I'd be more concerned with the plains than mountains of Colorado. I'd also prefer a good two lane road over any interstate.

Continuing north on I-25 to junction with I-70 at Denver, CO is also an option. But a longer route and you will also have to traverse the much higher pass at Eisenhower Tunnel. Not to mention a good climb up and over the pass between Copper Mountain, CO and Leadville. US 24 would be easier. All major highways in Colorado, and this is one, are well maintained even in heavy snow storms. But if that the case you are best advised to seek lodging.

The biggest hazard on such a journey is not so much the route chosen but all other motorists. That and how you drive. If in doubt, slow down.

I-25 can be of some interest, if you don't mind the traffic, particularly that between Colorado Springs, CO and Denver, if you choose that route. Once in the mountains it is beautiful. Leadville, by the way, resides at an elevation of 10,152 feet.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:08 PM

8 posts, read 80,684 times
The road between Salida and leadville is not bad at all. There is the town of Buena Vista in between Poncha springs and leadville. Unless it is a true blizzard, I would not worry about making the trip. I have traveled that road even in snow and did not find it to be a problem.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:31 PM

20,895 posts, read 39,157,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp22 View Post
The road between Salida and leadville is not bad at all. There is the town of Buena Vista in between Poncha springs and leadville. Unless it is a true blizzard, I would not worry about making the trip. I have traveled that road even in snow and did not find it to be a problem.
And it's a marvel of beauty, far more so than I-25 from Pueblo to Denver and I-70 thru the west side of Denver.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:18 PM

2,942 posts, read 7,321,402 times
Ha! I tried to get to my cabin in Leadville a few weeks ago (It's at 11,200 ft) and I could only make it halfway.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:23 AM

going which way? i assume if it is bad it bad going either way

Old 01-18-2009, 03:08 PM

125 posts, read 401,870 times
Default mountain less travel

The way to avoid mountains and stay snow free is:

1. get to Santa Fe, NM

2. Take 285 north through Espanola, Tres Piedras, to Antonito Colorado

3. 285 north to Alamosa

4. 160 nw to Monte Vista

5. 285 north through Saguache, Salida and Buena Vista

6. 24 north to Leadville

This route puts you always in between the mountain ranges. Remember Colorado has snow chains law, and mountain passes in the winter can be difficult or impossible to navigate if you don't have four wheel drive/chains.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra24ssv View Post
Hoping for a little advice, i will be driving to Leadville in February from Texas, and was wondering the best route? On a map it looks like 50 out of Pueblo to 24 is the shortest, but being a novice how is this road in the winter or would i be better off going all the way around Denver? Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by mmposting; 01-18-2009 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: additional comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado