U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:34 PM
Status: "Pueblo Canon City CSA 208,000. The 134th largest in the USA!" (set 2 days ago)

10,206 posts, read 11,292,038 times
Default Californians are moving to Colorado in droves again

This was in today's Gazette:

Californians are moving to Colorado in droves again, says an Associated Press article out of Los Angeles. And who can blame them, really? It's a wise move, and one that stands to help keep Colorado's economy among the strongest in the country.

The link: http://www.gazette.com/opinion/colorado_46179___article.html/californians_tired.html

This is good news for both Pueblo and Colorado Springs and perfect timing for Bannen Lewis Ranch and Pueblo springs ranch among other new developments in both cities.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 11:42 PM

351 posts, read 251,612 times
GREAT article and very insightful. Thanks for posting it.

What's interesting is that the Post did a huge study on the influx of Californians in the 90s and determined that the vast majority of them were suburban families moving to the Springs and southern Denver suburbs for a more wholesome, less taxed way of life. That directly contradicts the notion that the Californians are all a bunch of hippie-dippie dope-smokers out to turn Colorado into a giant bowl of granola.

Bottom line: if you care about Colorado's economy, it's a good sign. Welcome to Colorado.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:54 PM

11,727 posts, read 24,009,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Answers View Post
GREAT article and very insightful. Thanks for posting it.

What's interesting is that the Post did a huge study on the influx of Californians in the 90s and determined that the vast majority of them were suburban families moving to the Springs and southern Denver suburbs for a more wholesome, less taxed way of life. That directly contradicts the notion that the Californians are all a bunch of hippie-dippie dope-smokers out to turn Colorado into a giant bowl of granola.

Bottom line: if you care about Colorado's economy, it's a good sign. Welcome to Colorado.
I've never understood that idea. All the hippie-dippie dope-smoking Californians are the ones that stay in California because they think its the center of the universe and the only state in the union worthy of their presence. Why move to Colorado when you're already living in the biggest bowl of granola in the country? I'll be the type that moves to Denver's suburbs looking for a more wholesome, more affordable, and less taxed life. The people who still think California is on the right track can have it. Hopefully by the time the whole thing blows up for good I'll be watching from the safety of Colorado.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:02 AM
Status: "Pueblo Canon City CSA 208,000. The 134th largest in the USA!" (set 2 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I've never understood that idea. All the hippie-dippie dope-smoking Californians are the ones that stay in California because they think its the center of the universe and the only state in the union worthy of their presence. Why move to Colorado when you're already living in the biggest bowl of granola in the country? I'll be the type that moves to Denver's suburbs looking for a more wholesome, more affordable, and less taxed life. The people who still think California is on the right track can have it. Hopefully by the time the whole thing blows up for good I'll be watching from the safety of Colorado.
I don't agree with all aspects of the article either, in fact parts of it borders on homophobia when they talk about gay rights.

"The San Francisco, gay-rights, hippie-dippy, legalize pot crowd feels right at home in Boulder."

But I do like the economic aspect of it and I think that would be good for the whole state.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:43 AM

2,220 posts, read 3,338,500 times
Says the article:
"At this juncture, immigration from other states is Colorado's greatest hope for immediate prosperity. "
So let me get this straight...it's a good thing to have a whole bunch of Californians come out here when there aren't enough jobs here to go around as it is now? Export their 10%+ unemployment to us? That's hope for prosperity, Colorado-style? Now there's some smart thinkin'...

Now if you said that immigration of independently-wealthy retirees from California could bring prosperity, perhaps. Just hope they don't have that wealth in the stock market. That's what we now call stealth-wealth. You're sure it exists because you remember seeing it on your 2007 statement, but it's nowhere to be found now. Those guys could get here and end up driving the price of Alpo right up through the roof.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:47 AM

11,727 posts, read 24,009,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
Says the article:
"At this juncture, immigration from other states is Colorado's greatest hope for immediate prosperity. "
So let me get this straight...it's a good thing to have a whole bunch of Californians come out here when there aren't enough jobs here to go around as it is now? Export their 10%+ unemployment to us? That's hope for prosperity, Colorado-style? Now there's some smart thinkin'...

Now if you said that immigration of independently-wealthy retirees from California could bring prosperity, perhaps. Just hope they don't have that wealth in the stock market. That's what we now call stealth-wealth. You're sure it exists because you remember seeing it on your 2007 statement, but it's nowhere to be found now. Those guys could get here and end up driving the price of Alpo right up through the roof.
The people most fed up with California are the small business class. Those are the type of people most likely to contribute to their new state's tax and employment base.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:48 AM

My hope is that California companies follow them out. One way is the new Pueblo Springs tech park. The developer is from Las Vegas and will entice companies out and hopefully some are from California!

Old 01-14-2009, 07:48 AM

2,974 posts, read 4,587,361 times
Chicken farmers and chicken processors are scrambling to find a way to get the hell out of California.

Why? Animal rights activists! It seems that the animal rights crowd managed to generate a petition that put a chicken's rights initiative on the California ballot (Prop 2).

Now it is illegal to transport any bird in a cage that will not allow the bird to spread its wings. This means maybe two chickens to a crate rather than 20 on the way to ye olde chicken processing plant. That, my friends, is not economically viable. The solution is to move the chicken farms and processing plants out of California into neighboring states. More jobs lost in California!

Old 01-14-2009, 08:09 AM

7,994 posts, read 15,565,861 times
Eventually, these Chamber of Commerce types will figure out that this influx of population is not positive, but will rather will do (and is already doing) the very things that are making California undesirable: they will overwhelm the existing infrastructure, which will either lead to intractable transportation and water problems or massive tax increases to try to "catch up" with infrastructure improvements. All of those people chasing depleting or naturally scarce resources (like water) will drive the cost of living up--especially for the working classes of Coloradans. It will also lead to demands for increasing regulations and erosion of basic "freedoms" that Coloradans now take for granted. All of that will combine to poison the business environment in the state, making it a much less attractive place to try to make a living.

In other words, Colorado tomorrow will be just like California today. How people can be dumb enough to think that we can follow the "California model" exactly and not wind up with the same result here is beyond me. "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result." We shouldn't be celebrating or promoting this type of growth, we should be mourning it. And the people who constantly post on this forum promoting that kind of ********* growth should go to California and talk to some of the people so anxious to get out of there--ask them how they feel about uncontrolled growth. Better yet, they should move to California, so they can "enjoy" the kind of growth they ceaselessly promote here.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Eventually, these Chamber of Commerce types will figure out that this influx of population is not positive, but will rather will do (and is already doing) the very things that are making California undesirable: they will overwhelm the existing infrastructure, which will either lead to intractable transportation and water problems or massive tax increases to try to "catch up" with infrastructure improvements. All of those people chasing depleting or naturally scarce resources (like water) will drive the cost of living up--especially for the working classes of Coloradans. It will also lead to demands for increasing regulations and erosion of basic "freedoms" that Coloradans now take for granted. All of that will combine to poison the business environment in the state, making it a much less attractive place to try to make a living.

In other words, Colorado tomorrow will be just like California today. How people can be dumb enough to think that we can follow the "California model" exactly and not wind up with the same result here is beyond me. "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result." We shouldn't be celebrating or promoting this type of growth, we should be mourning it. And the people who constantly post on this forum promoting that kind of ********* growth should go to California and talk to some of the people so anxious to get out of there--ask them how they feel about uncontrolled growth. Better yet, they should move to California, so they can "enjoy" the kind of growth they ceaselessly promote here.
Un controlled growth is not good but controlled growth is good. That is what we are doing by planing out the developments, such as Pueblo Springs and Serento and new developments in downtown, to work with the existing city. I, for one, want Pueblo to grow but I want us to be more like Chicago or Boston then like LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado