U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-17-2009, 10:05 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,207,918 times

Advertisements

OK.

After about 3 years of stress, I am finally getting close to ready to actually take a vacation. My job has a "use it or lose it" mentality about PTO, so I figure I would like to use it this time.

About the title - For years I've considered relocating, and now I'm going to do some scouting to see if it "feels" right. I've been to a number of areas and felt pretty good about them, now I am looking at Colorado with beady eyes.

What I need are some suggestions for places to actually go. This should consist of a nice mixture of the standard tourist spots, neighborhoods, commercial, industrial...basically, if you were introducing Colorado in general to someone new to the United States (which I'm not, but still), where would you guide them?

There are three things of utmost importance to me.
  • Reasonably priced, depending on what you get.
  • Greenery. Trees, grass, that sort of thing. I do like somewhat larger front and back lawns. I also like decent space between houses, if possible.
  • Proximity to everything. If I can get to shopping and work by walking, that would be great, otherwise, low traffic conditions.
I know that's all ambiguous...but I'm really just looking for a starting point. Then my next goal is to select a weekend here soon to go up there, rent a car and a hotel, and just learn the area from the ground up.

Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 11:03 PM

20 posts, read 47,597 times
Sounds like youre due for a change?

Here are some of our favorites that meet your criteria (depending on your shopping needs):
Old Colorado City
Manitou Springs
Woodland Park
Ouray
Durango
Westcliffe (you have to water that yard)
Canyon City
Salida
Buena Vista

One problem...just about any green pretty town with good shopping is a tourist town!

Old 01-18-2009, 12:06 AM

Thanks. I checked some of these out on the satellite imagery, which I know doesn't tell the full story. Of the list you gave Manitou Springs looks the most interesting. Trees as far as the eye can see. I can hardly make out houses, there's so many trees.

Are the IT jobs centralized in the larger cities, i.e. Denver, Colorado Springs, Boulder, etc? Or are job opportunities reasonably available in every city? If it means a nightmare of a commute, I may visit Manitou or one of the others as well as the larger ones, just to get a sense of things.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:24 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,514,297 times
Revelated, I get the impression you know little to nothing about Colorado. Colorado is great, but do some more research before you make your visit.

Here are some pointers in response to your posts:

1. Colorado is quite a large state. You can't see it all even with a 3 week vacation. You need to narrow down some areas that mesh with your career/job and personal interests.

2. Different areas in Colorado: A) The Western Slope B) The mountains C) The Front Range D) The farming flatlands to the east (No offense but just forget about D) unless you are a farmer.)

3. The green and trees in Colorado are all in the mountains. Other areas have few trees (but not NO trees at all, don't worry), and it is only green May-July, other times golden brown or just brown.

4. "Low traffic conditions" - Uh, you might not like the Front Range....

Old 01-18-2009, 07:31 AM

1,143 posts, read 2,898,486 times
Quote:
Are the IT jobs centralized in the larger cities, i.e. Denver, Colorado Springs, Boulder, etc? Or are job opportunities reasonably available in every city
?
This is probably what you'll find in CO. We live in Monument which is north of COS(20-30min) and south of Denver(45min to the Tech Center). Best to rent till you get settled.

Quote:
There are three things of utmost importance to me.

Reasonably priced, depending on what you get.
Greenery. Trees, grass, that sort of thing. I do like somewhat larger front and back lawns. I also like decent space between houses, if possible.
Proximity to everything. If I can get to shopping and work by walking, that would be great, otherwise, low traffic conditions.
We moved from San Diego and ended in up in Monument because of these exact reasons, plus the schools are excellent. Woodmor is an established development with minimum half acre lots, lots of trees, and homes that range from 250k to 700k. Coming from San Diego, I think you will be amazed at the home prices here, even after the SoCal housing crash. Traffic here is nothing compared to San Diego.
Good Luck

Old 01-18-2009, 08:56 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,729,180 times
Unless you get into the mountains and get alot of snowfall, CO can be very brown, even with the conifers. Check out this thread, very representational of the Front Range:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...rk-photos.html

Also, if you are living in town , big yards are not common, unless you have $.

I think you'll see quite a bit in three weeks, you'll keep busy!

Old 01-18-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
?
This is probably what you'll find in CO. We live in Monument which is north of COS(20-30min) and south of Denver(45min to the Tech Center). Best to rent till you get settled.

We moved from San Diego and ended in up in Monument because of these exact reasons, plus the schools are excellent. Woodmor is an established development with minimum half acre lots, lots of trees, and homes that range from 250k to 700k. Coming from San Diego, I think you will be amazed at the home prices here, even after the SoCal housing crash. Traffic here is nothing compared to San Diego.
Good Luck
I would rent in any case. I see apartment prices are over half the price of smaller units out here. That already is appealing, tell you what.

This information is exactly what I was looking for, thank you.

And...regarding the comment about "green", it's a figure of speech. I fully understand that the color of things is seasonal. I'm just trying to make sure I don't move into the center of a desert, or into something that looks like Downtown San Diego. I don't even mind suburban areas as long as I wouldn't have a long work commute. I just need plant life. For those who don't know, the plant life is what contributes to better air quality.

My goal here is not to see the entire state. My goal is to see some of the best that Colorado has to offer, considering the bullets that I mentioned at first. Snow does not deter me; I prefer the cold anyway. Driving on icy roads might deter me slightly, but I'd rather take that risk than fight traffic every single day. Proximity to work would be a huge factor; if any potential benefits are negated by a 30 minute work commute (which is the same as what I have now), I'd have to rethink my options. Proximity to shopping is another huge factor; I know the same stores aren't out there, which would be a culture shock, but I don't want to have to go to the crowded areas just to buy some food.

Right now, I'm just isolating key places to visit to get my perspective. I've got three so far: Manitou Springs, Monument, and Woodmor, all of which look good at least to check out...Woodmor might be a little bit much, but I'll stop by anyway.

Going by the appearance of those three cities, are there any others that can be suggested?

Old 01-18-2009, 02:17 PM

291 posts, read 588,235 times
The older more established areas will have larger trees. The newer suburbs don't have any that area any size. The IT jobs are mostly in Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs, and Pueblo. The larger the town the more IT jobs. The biggest cites will give you the most choices.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bckr View Post
The older more established areas will have larger trees. The newer suburbs don't have any that area any size. The IT jobs are mostly in Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs, and Pueblo. The larger the town the more IT jobs. The biggest cites will give you the most choices.
Good stuff and what I figured - so let me hit you (or anyone who might know) with this.

Given that most of the lucrative jobs are in the larger towns, and given commute conditions in Colorado, is the better option to just live in the city and deal with it? Or is it better to live outside of the big town and travel every day? I guess the answer to that question will depend on the relative distance between the bigger city and the smaller outskirt ones.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:03 PM

125 posts, read 283,068 times
Durango - nice small "tourist" town, clean, beautiful setting, awesome San Juan mountains nearby
Colorado Springs - very nice city, developed, clean, high standard of living, close to good mountains
Denver - west Denver is nice, well kept, lots of cultural stuff, awesome Downtown area with lots of stuff to do, big city feel, great mountains close by (Front Range)
Boulder - small town, clean, well kept, high standard of living, college town, young people, "alternative" type of area, close to Denver, high paying jobs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado