U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 09:59 AM

431 posts, read 2,500,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j96g View Post
Thanks alot Nadine! you have been very helpful with Canon city info, anyone with more info on Pueblo please share.
As to Pueblo, it is larger and not hard to see undesirable sections. You really need to drive around there also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 02:52 PM

13,632 posts, read 21,494,218 times
Hey, Jason.

I just got back from the always wonderful Reynosa! You may not like the south side of McAllen, but I think it kicks **** compared to its sister city to the south.

I would say that you can't split Pueblo into four quadrants and split it down the "middle" because... well just because I say so. The far north central part of town by Eagleridge looks promising and new. The El Camino and Ridge area on the South and West part of town is nice with a good view of the Wet Mountains but you'll have to search around for an affordable place. Those Mansions near Walking Stick are nice too, if you're a doctor or a successful lawyer.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:43 PM

2,618 posts, read 2,965,875 times
thanks alot, didn't mean to say south mcallen was bad, just that people tend to like north mcallen a little better, but it beats hidalgo hands down. my wife and i have been looking at houses in pueblo and seem to think the move there would be easier. i know that when i was there january 20-25 Pueblo got down to the teens at night and canon city only in the upper twenties, don't know why it was colder in pueblo, but the high temps in canon are slightly cooler than pueblo. either way it beats the heat down here in the Valley, though we've been in the low 80s for highs its not that bad, but it gets close to sweaty out there sometimes. Oh and Nadine, once again thank you so much on the reply, the only problem is that i won't be able to visit Colorado again until the big move, so that's why i;m trying my best to get all the info i can. worst case scenario, I do get a chance to visit colorado once more, but push off moving there another 6months to a year.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j96g View Post
thanks alot, didn't mean to say south mcallen was bad, just that people tend to like north mcallen a little better, but it beats hidalgo hands down.
I was kind of referring to the city south of Rio Bravo. You don't see donkeys pulling 5 ton trailers in Hidalgo- not that there's anything wrong with that! You also don't see 5 lanes of traffic crammed into a two lane street. Not that there's anything wrong with that! If that works for you, that's fine too.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,970 times
Default Living in Canon City

Hello,
We have been living in Canon for a year now. The summer is great and the winter was not so cold, no so snowy. We bought a house 6 blocks north of downtown (a little place for the two of us -not planning children either- $65,000dollars) it needed a few things here and there but nothing major it was basically ready to live.
There are many little houses in town that go for 85,0000 - 95,000, some are fixer upers but others are ready to live in.
We bought our home [mod cut] in one weekend and close in less than a month. [mod cut]
We were thinking to live in Colorado Springs or Pueblo, thanks God we choose Canon, now we know the Springs have too much crime and Pueblo gets hoter in the summer, besides Pueblo is too spread out, I don't get that city.
I think the north side of town were we live is nicer and cleaner.
Bye...Let us know if you move.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-30-2007 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: Mentioning realty firms or realtor names is considered advertising and not permitted.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:43 PM

431 posts, read 2,500,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonora View Post
Hello,
We have been living in Canon for a year now. The summer is great and the winter was not so cold, no so snowy. We bought a house 6 blocks north of downtown (a little place for the two of us -not planning children either- $65,000dollars) it needed a few things here and there but nothing major it was basically ready to live.
There are many little houses in town that go for 85,0000 - 95,000, some are fixer upers but others are ready to live in.
We bought our home [mod cut] in one weekend and close in less than a month. [mod cut]
We were thinking to live in Colorado Springs or Pueblo, thanks God we choose Canon, now we know the Springs have too much crime and Pueblo gets hoter in the summer, besides Pueblo is too spread out, I don't get that city.
I think the north side of town were we live is nicer and cleaner.
Bye...Let us know if you move.
I really don't get your reasoning. North side is nicer and cleaner? In what way? 6 blocks that puts you dead in the heart of the town, about College or so. Or on the hog backs. You evidently think rural is dirty. Go farther north and then repeat that north is cleaner. I don't see it. But I am glad you are happy with Canon. It is a nice town and it is not dirty.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:00 AM

thanks for the input of canon city and pueblo, today is august 16 and i have been keeping up with the weather of colorado all summer and you are right sonora, pueblo is hotter, but coming from the valley texas 99 to 100 degrees, is something I can handle because pueblo still gets down to the low to mid 60's at night. over here we have the same 99 to 100 degree weather, but we only get down to 78-80 at night, this is the reason i want to leave. i did notice that in winter pueblo makes up for the 10 degree hotter in summer with 10 colder at night in winter.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:46 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,099,702 times
Before Nadine takes me to task, let me say that I like Canon City very much. In fact, I think it is one of the nicer communities in Colorado. You should know, however, that Canon City does get fairly hot in the summer--though it does not have the high humidity of south Texas and it does generally cool off at night. If you thinking of it, though, as a "mountain" type climate, it is not that.

Pueblo can get hotter than Canon, and can have some "muggy" days in summer--again, nothing like south Texas, but muggy and hot by most Colorado standards. Pueblo definitely does have some "good" and "bad" neighborhoods, often only separated by a few blocks. As I have posted before, I ABSOLUTELY recommend that you make a trip specifically to look at where to live BEFORE you make a move. The money spent on the trip will seem insignificant compared to the expense of moving someplace that you ultimately might find unsatisfactory. And, I will say once again (for the umpteenth time), Colorado--rural and small town Colorado, especially--can be a hard place to make a living. Local incomes compared to living costs are not especially favorable in many places. If you aren't bringing a bunch of money with you (and it sounds like you're not), you need to carefully research your job prospects compared with what it may cost to live there. Canon City and Pueblo are more favorable than many other places in Colorado in that regard, but it's still no picnic.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:24 PM

I'd have to agree with all of that so far. I want to see some growth in Pueblo. However, I want to see that people who move here are happy and will stay. (CRASH! Wicked lightning bolt about 200 feet away) I have to travel quite a bit and to endure some stange things to be able to pursue my own career here. My wife has a great job which also makes it possible.

It's better to be honest about a places faults up front on here and to risk making others angry than to mislead prospects of an area, only to see them come here or to the Front Range, be unhappy and stuck. I've seen this happen very recently to somebody who moved from Houston to Fountain. Because of this, I've recently learned to be much more tolerant to those who have less than favorable things to say about "my" town. I'm walking on thin ice in here for going after "negative" comments and as I've learned, I'm in the wrong and they are not.

I think I know a little bit about McAllen and although they may seem to be growing at the time, it isn't what I would call good growth or a good long term situation. If nothing else, Pueblo and perhaps Canon City are a whole different deal than where you're coming from. Pueblo has seen a boom and has experienced hard times for long periods of time and seems to survive through them pretty admirably.

I can almost guarantee that the weather is so much better here due to the lack of humidity (air that you can wear) and the climate that enables it to cool off at night.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:49 PM

You know what's funny is that we are talking about moving and buying a house and i just realized that the property taxes here in texas are high! My brother-in-law pays about 1,500-2,000 dollars a year on property tax. and while browsing for homes in colorado i noticed taxes mostly under 1,000. Is this right? Did anybody else notice a change lower or higher after the move to colorado. would like to here comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado