U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2007, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 5,389 times

Advertisements

I am a 23 year old LPN thinking of moving to Colorado, Fort Collins in particular. I am slightly worried though - other threads I have read state that there are no jobs here. I am assuming me being a nurse I shouldn't have a problem, but my boyfriend would be looking for a job as a general laborer and
I was wondering how difficult or easy it would be for him to find a job.

Also I am looking to rent an apartment or possibly a townhouse - can anyone tell me the best areas to live in Fort Collins?? What are the different areas to live in (like northeast, southest etc)?? I don't really want to be surrounded by college kids and parties - I would rather be in the peace and quiet. I was wondering which areas to avoid for that reason. Also I would like a nice view of the mountains from my home

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated !!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 01:18 PM

530 posts, read 2,370,547 times
I don't know what you heard but as a nurse, I don't think you will have a problem finding employment. A brand new hospital complex just opened and last week in the Denver Post there was an article about the large growth of the Ft Collins-Loveland area. Money magazine ranked the area as one of the best places to live in the entire country! I live in Louisville, so I can't help you with the housing but I really think with some research, you will enjoy the area.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:19 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Shan0323...does it have to be Fort Collins? New Memorial Hospital here in Colorado Springs opens on 01 April and on TV today there is a story that they cannot find enough nurses.....this is a fine place to live, very affordable.

Use the Search this Forum tool on keywords like: hospital hospitals memorial penrose etc etc. Lots of info here already, with links to their website. An even bigger new hospital opens at end of year (Penrose St Francis).

For info about Colorado Springs, read "why choose colorado springs"

s/Mike

Old 03-12-2007, 04:20 PM

585 posts, read 1,949,825 times
There are jobs. However, the pay doesn't reflect the high cost of housing so be aware of that.

Want to avoid college kids? Don't live in the old town area or near the campus. However, there are small pockets almost all over town that is going to have rental housing with some college kids living there. Not sure what your budget is but the nicer the hood = less rentals = less college kids. Of course, there are also nice homes where the owner lives there and still throws obnoxious parties. You might have more luck in Loveland, it's a sleepier town.

Good luck.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:15 PM

84,960 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micktooth View Post
I don't know what you heard but as a nurse, I don't think you will have a problem finding employment.
The so-called nursing shortage is not as acute here in Colorado as in other parts of the country. You will hear stories about an employer not being able to find enough nurses, then apply there and they don't hire you. I am not trying to be a wet blanket, just realistic. You will probably find a job eventually. It will be easier if you are living here when you apply. Hopefully, you have some savings that will sustain you until you find a job. Good luck!

Old 03-12-2007, 05:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,785 posts, read 37,451,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shan0323 View Post
I am a 23 year old LPN thinking of moving to Colorado, Fort Collins in particular. ...I would rather be in the peace and quiet. I was wondering which areas to avoid for that reason. Also I would like a nice view of the mountains from my home
try the northwest side of Loveland, then you can work in either FC or LV, but... have more quiet at your home, and quick escape to RMNR (Rocky Mountain National Park), or the Buckhorn Canyon (Masonville)

Old 03-13-2007, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 12,721 times
Does anyone know the trend in Loveland? There still are an awful lot of houses with cars on blocks in the front yards. The Check Cashing stores and multiple pawn shops in the downtown area are a bit of a red flag. Is the area improving or staying the same?

Old 03-14-2007, 06:15 PM

66 posts, read 441,565 times
Default Loveland in the Tank?

Check cashing stores are a sign of the times, in all cities. I think there are 3 pawn shops in Loveland, and those have been here for a number of years.

I haven't seen many cars on blocks. There are some around, but every city has them.

I have lived in Loveland since the mid 60's. and I see Loveland progressing nicely with the addition of Centerra, The Promenade Shops, and the recently announced Grand Station; Medical Center of the Rockies and many other medical facilities; and the Auto dealership complex out at I25. These are all booms for the Loveland area. So much so that Loveland residents are now staying in Loveland for these types of services and goods rather than going to Fort Collins.

I can say that I don't see any red flags in Loveland. Maybe I can't see the forest for the trees?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or