Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 06:40 PM

227 posts, read 1,005,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Unlike Fort Collins Pueblo has enough senior water rights for a city close to 500,000 people. To be honest, and this is selfish, but Pueblo has our reservoir, paid by the federal government, so I don't care if the state builds anymore or not lol
That is the epitome of what is wrong in this country anymore. "The federal government has to take care of me and I don't care how self serving that is". You are preaching a doctrine of selfish waste at everyone else's expense. I said it once and I will say it again. SHAME ON YOU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 06:53 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,350,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfish15 View Post
That is the epitome of what is wrong in this country anymore. "The federal government has to take care of me and I don't care how self serving that is". You are preaching a doctrine of selfish waste at everyone else's expense. I said it once and I will say it again. SHAME ON YOU.
How is conserving water when a city has more then enough water going to save the planet?

Old 02-23-2009, 07:54 PM

In this case I don't care about saving the planet. I care about people who think it is totally acceptable to take federal money for a reservoir and waste the water in a region that needs water conservation, not for the sake of "being green" but because there just ain't enough water to go around.

But hey, who really cares? Everybody else is paying for your "endless" water supply.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfish15 View Post
In this case I don't care about saving the planet. I care about people who think it is totally acceptable to take federal money for a reservoir and waste the water in a region that needs water conservation, not for the sake of "being green" but because there just ain't enough water to go around.

But hey, who really cares? Everybody else is paying for your "endless" water supply.
So let me see if I understand you right.

You are up set that Pueblo has enough political pull to get a reservoir built that enables us to have enough water for our residents and future growth as well as dramatically reduce the chance of a major flood from the Arkansas river that could potentially cost thousands of lives and cost millions of dollars in damage?

By the way keep in mind that this project, the Fryingpan-Arkansas project, was seen as important enough that President Kennedy came out for the signing of it and gave a speech at Dutch Clark Stadium in Pueblo.

A link to the web page: http://www.usbr.gov/dataweb/html/fryark.html

Old 02-23-2009, 09:04 PM

Congratulations. You should get a job at msnbc. You put spin city on what I said. But that is typical of your posting style.

Perhaps if I repeat what I already wrote you can read it much more slowly to let my words sink in.

Quote:

It's not so much the fact it is federally funded that is disturbing, it's the carefree attitude that "I got it, you bought it and I'm gonna flaunt it" that will someday come back to haunt you.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:11 PM

My attitude is Pueblo has enough water so I do not have to conserve as much if that changes for any reason, growth beyond our water supply, then I will change my ways. Until then there is just no need here.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:19 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,357,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
My attitude is Pueblo has enough water so I do not have to conserve as much if that changes for any reason, growth beyond our water supply, then I will change my ways. Until then there is just no need here.
And you don't have one iota of concern about how many productive farms and ranches were dried up, how many wetlands drained, or how many canyons flooded so that your blessed town (and you) has water to waste. I call that just plain selfish, nothing less.

Maybe should read this from the Denver Post while you are comtemplating that bluegrass lawn of yours.

http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_11744306

Old 02-23-2009, 09:48 PM

I read the article and respect the fact he does not want a lawn in his yard.

I come from the camp where I want a mix, a nice lawn and trees and shrubs and flowers, in my yard. I don't do it to be the envy of anyone, who cares we all have our likes and dislikes, I do it for me. If I did not like grass and the look of it and walking on it in the summer I would get rid of it as fast as you can say zero scape. The fact is I do like it so until Pueblo has water issues, I will continue to have my lawn as well as my shrubs, trees and flowers.

This summer I will post a picture of my yard on here, not everyone will like it and that's ok.....

Last edited by Josseppie; 02-23-2009 at 10:04 PM..

Old 02-23-2009, 10:49 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
Josseppie, I agree with you about the KY bluegrass; I do like it better than the other grasses for all the reasons given here (cold tolerant, soft underfoot, hardy for kids playing on it, does OK in shade, and such). However, we only water every other day at most unless it's very hot, and we do have some "zones" in our yard, plus a large garden (which of course also has to be watered).

The thread is about landscaping and water conservation, not necessarily about getting rid of KY bluegrass.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:13 PM

I agree but keep in mind where I live and I do my best not to over water my lawn, that would be a waste of money. In the Spring and fall I water less but I have found that once the heat of summer gets here and the temps are mainly from 95 to 105 with the dry winds Pueblo can get watering it twice a day but short times each zone works best to keep the grass green. If, however, I find that I am watering it to much, and its easy to tell, I make the required changes to the system for that zone...

Last edited by Josseppie; 02-23-2009 at 11:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado