U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:34 AM

5,945 posts, read 4,872,356 times

Advertisements

For most folks, any thoughts of Colorado probably revolve around the mountains. For some reason, I'm fascinated by the dry plains east of the Rockies. Towns I've driven through like Limon, Rocky Ford, Sterling, and Lamar almost seem like a trip back in time.

What's life in these small towns like? Does their relative isolation mean difficulty in getting the kinds of service for routine repairs like plumbing and electrical that city dwellers take for granted? Is social life pretty much centered around the local HS athletic teams like it seems to be in midwestern small towns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 10:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,585 posts, read 39,962,822 times
I spent a lot of time in Haxtun, Wray, Peetz when I was a kid (relatives there + my dad's business)

services were fine, but sometimes you need to wait for parts. And you drive (weekly / monthly) for serious shopping. With online commerce things should be better, but finding repairmen is tougher these days. The residents tend to help each other out, and yes the local schools and churches are a rallying place. The cafe and hardware (co-op / feed) store are central places to connect. I find the people very capable and helpful. There is still serious 'brain-drain' in rural communities, and I don't see it getting a ton better, tho many folks are 'returning home'. Jobs just aren't there, and not everyone can telecommute. Not sure what the 'new' economy is going to do to these places, but if it got REALLY rough I'd rather be there than in a city. (at least you won't go hungry or get robbed)

Old 02-09-2009, 03:35 PM

103 posts, read 351,742 times
Default Well said Janb

Janb....

Small towns in Eastern Colorado have a great way of life and a great attitude. Used to referee football out here and had the privilege of working Haxtun/Stratton two or three times. Great schools and great programs.

Couldn't agree more...in fact the Rocky Mountain News wrote an article which points that out very nicely. It happens to be about La Junta, but it is probably true about most of the towns on the Eastern Plains....in fact, probably most of the small towns in this Great State.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/feb/06/griego-economys-down-but-la-junta-isnt/

Old 02-12-2009, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 7,704 times
Default La Junta is an awesome place to live!!

I have lived in the La Junta area for about 10yrs now, and I am amazed on what this small town has to offer. We have a Junior college, theatre, bowling alley, National Historical Site, top of the line schools, decent workforce, airport, golf site, swimming pool, hiking trails, canyons (small but cool), dinasour track site, surrounding fishing sites, and I could go on and on. I have never had any problems finding employement here, and the climate is awesome! I would recommend this place to anyone!!

Old 02-12-2009, 04:20 PM

12,180 posts, read 21,025,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToekneeR View Post
I have lived in the La Junta area for about 10yrs now, and I am amazed on what this small town has to offer. We have a Junior college, theatre, bowling alley, National Historical Site, top of the line schools, decent workforce, airport, golf site, swimming pool, hiking trails, canyons (small but cool), dinasour track site, surrounding fishing sites, and I could go on and on. I have never had any problems finding employement here, and the climate is awesome! I would recommend this place to anyone!!
Can you post some pics of your city, we would love to see them. It would be a nice break from always seeing pics of the front range.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:01 AM

41 posts, read 227,432 times
I grew up in Brush. Life was pretty boring, simple and quite. There isn't much to do when you're in high school, find the occasional party or go to Fort Morgan to cruise main or hang out at a friends house. Even when you are old enough to drink there isn't much of a change in the night life, there are 4 bars in downtown Brush, but I heard that either one of them or two closed down. Usually people headed to Fort Morgan, but there bar scene isn't much better, sometimes Sterling also. There is one movie theater in Brush, but usually doesn't get the newer movies till later. There wasn't really a problem with getting repairs, getting into a wreck and waiting for the insurance people to come out there was kind of a wait. Shopping was the only real kinda hassle because online buying hadn't hit full force yet, but usually we had to drive to Greeley, which was an hour away but they did build a super walmart in Fort Morgan which helps. Yes the town is centered around the HS athletics, especially football. Other than that growing up in Brush wasn't totally bad, I live in a much larger town right now, and go back to Brush to visit my family as much as I can. When things get to hectic around I head back and like to feel the calmness of the plains that surround Brush.

Last edited by bco24; 02-13-2009 at 09:10 AM..

Old 02-13-2009, 10:42 AM

5,608 posts, read 20,720,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToekneeR View Post
This sounds like it was written by the Chamber of Commerce, especially when you read the last two sentences.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:01 AM

103 posts, read 351,742 times
Default La Junta pix

Okay thanks to Josseppie, McGowdog and Vegas Pilgrim here is first try at pix posting. Will put some others on the Pueblo/Southern Colorado thread later.

First one is Arkansas Valley Regional Medical Center

This is view of Otero Junior College Campus.....note world famous Koshare Indian Museum in lower center....round section is the Kiva.

Municipal swimming pool, water slide and Potter's Park...home of Tiger Baseball. At top right is the old Bay Valley Plant that closed in 2006 costing us about 150 jobs....but we are coming back.

Aerial of airport, golf course and 1500 acre industrial park north of town. City is in background (top)

At right of runway is the La Junta Raceway.....vintage Porsche, Vets, etc Races......schedule on www.lajuntaevents.com

Old 02-13-2009, 12:50 PM

12,180 posts, read 21,025,157 times
Very nice pics!

Old 02-13-2009, 01:31 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,286,095 times
Yes, nice photos... although it's obvious that the saturation has been bumped way up.. .hence the bright green grass everywhere.

That said, I also feel that the eastern plains have an under appreciated sense of romance and tranquility to them, although I would not choose to live there. I can't wait for summer to take day trip jogging and cycling ventures out there though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado