U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 12:32 PM

111 posts, read 554,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post
Sunscreen is recommended, especially on your face, every day. If you don't have plans to be out in the sun for longer than 20 minutes, you shouldn't have a problem..

Yes! Suncsreen on the face ALL the time, all year! A nice tan is a good look, but not so much on the face. Nothing Worse, IMO, than a red, burned face. Not to mention the aging of the skin, potential health concerns.

Lotion is definately key too. Skin gets dry easily here.

All worth it for having sunshine, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 12:13 PM

4,406 posts, read 5,321,420 times
I live in Phoenix where it's ALWAYS sunny. Sometimes it can go 3 weeks without a single cloud. I wear long-sleeve shirts and full-length pants year-round (people look at me like I'm crazy) to protect myself from burning. I don't want to look like a leather bag, so I wear a hat and sunscreen on my neck and ears. I would assume my sun-protecting choices would fit in well in Colorado? Is elevation really that much of a difference? I'm considering moving to Colorado Springs, Grand Junction or Salida sometime later this year. Thanks for any response.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:16 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,522,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I live in Phoenix where it's ALWAYS sunny. Sometimes it can go 3 weeks without a single cloud. I wear long-sleeve shirts and full-length pants year-round (people look at me like I'm crazy) to protect myself from burning. I don't want to look like a leather bag, so I wear a hat and sunscreen on my neck and ears. I would assume my sun-protecting choices would fit in well in Colorado? Is elevation really that much of a difference? I'm considering moving to Colorado Springs, Grand Junction or Salida sometime later this year. Thanks for any response.
You'll be fine. The sun's UV is stronger at higher elevations, but your precautions in Phoenix I'm sure will be more than adequate here.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:19 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,511,564 times
2bindenver is absolutely correct. Sunglasses and sunscreen are just part of the package. After a few weeks, it will a part of your routine and you won't even think about it anymore.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:38 AM

365 posts, read 706,910 times
Oh yes the sun can cause havoc on your skin but it does wonders for the mind!

Old 03-20-2007, 11:04 AM

170 posts, read 698,214 times
Neutrogena has a face lotion that is 30 SPF and doesn't have a chemical smell to it. I use it everyday regardless. My doctor told me one time that she finds signs of skin cancer on peoples' ears...she said people usually don't think about putting sunscreen on their ears...just wanted to share that tip.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:02 PM

111 posts, read 491,064 times
Default sunscreen ingredients dermatologists recommend to look for

I read in a New York Times article recently that dermatologists agreed on one point (this was about the nation in general): the importance of sun protection, including hats, avoidance of midday sun and the use of an effective sunscreen. They recommended that consumers look for formulas that include ingredients — like zinc oxide, titanium dioxide or Mexoryl SX — that impede damage from the sun’s longer wavelength UVA rays, a protective effect that is not indicated by a product’s SPF rating.

Just thinking... it sounds like colorado is a good choice for people who suffer from SAD (seasonal affective disorder).

Old 03-21-2007, 08:06 PM

431 posts, read 2,502,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Yes altitude makes lots of difference. The atmosphere is thinner the higher you go. But in my opinion, too much is being made of it on here. It really is not that big a deal. Just use your head and you will be fine. Sun worshiper are going to be in trouble someday no matter where. But the altitude will burn those sun worshiper quickly. So don't be lying out in the sun in the buff and go to sleep. Not a good idea.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:17 AM

643 posts, read 2,168,010 times
This was a big question I have been wondering about. I know we wear make up sometimes and wondered how you do that with sunscreen. I know this sounds so dumb but here in Washington State we hardly ever put on sunscreen. I also had family in FL who spent a lot of time in the sun in there life and several did age early, like said before the leathery affect. What if you like to spend a lot of time outdoors in the sun? Im looking forward to being able to enjoy it, for one reason, we do get S.A.D. and a winter without that is going to be wonderful!

Old 03-24-2007, 09:44 AM

170 posts, read 698,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
This was a big question I have been wondering about. I know we wear make up sometimes and wondered how you do that with sunscreen. I know this sounds so dumb but here in Washington State we hardly ever put on sunscreen. I also had family in FL who spent a lot of time in the sun in there life and several did age early, like said before the leathery affect. What if you like to spend a lot of time outdoors in the sun? Im looking forward to being able to enjoy it, for one reason, we do get S.A.D. and a winter without that is going to be wonderful!
Hi.
The Neutrogena face moisterizer I mentioned in an ealier post is like a normal face moisterizer w/ 30 spf, so you can apply it before your make-up. I also put it on my neck and tops of my hands which are exposed when I'm driving. Believe me, if you ask my family they think I'm obsessed with sun protection....I just want to enjoy the sun w/out turning leathery or getting skin cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or